Link: Aaron Rodgers is putting on the hate!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I agree. As it sits right now, the most important game in my eyes, we just played and won. The SEC Championship. To me, the Notre Dame game is just another game that i want us to win. The National Championship as it is now is so subjective it's not even worth arguing about. I mean, who's to say that any combination of Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Oregon, Texas A & M, Kansas State, LSU, or Stanford would hold any more or less value as a measure of a true National Championship game as the ND/Bama game will provide?

Don't get me wrong. I love Alabama and want us to crush ND. I'm just not one of those who beats his chest saying we're the best team in the country when we all know that we have a current system that doesn't ever give anyone the chance to really prove it. We just play the hand we're dealt. 14-0 is my goal for Bama every year. If we went undefeated and they voted us #6, who cares. All we did was win our games, the only thing we could control.
[note to self -- throw away all t-shirts and other memorabilia with references to any Alabama national championships since none of them are apparently legitimate]

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
What's so wrong with what he's saying? A 16-team playoff would be way better than what we have now. We'd have a clear winner at the end of the season. Currently it's just who has the best record, arguably, at that.
well, for one thing, there is a contract with the present system that everyone seems to forget.It runs through 2014.By the reasoning of some people, lets just ignore the contract that was made in good faith and do whatever is pleasing.The system has it's flaws and the 4 team play-off will have it too.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A playoff would also allow room for a team to improve over a season's time. Some may call this "getting hot", but it can also be due to young players maturing.
Then you would basically be watering down the first portion of the season to allow teams to "get better". What about the teams that were good from start to finish and did it with zero losses or maybe one loss? Where's the "reward" in that? Letting teams in who had multiple losses in the first half of the season to be put in a position to knock off a team who played good the entire season is wrong on so many levels.

Take Virginia Tech (for example) who historically gets built up in the offseason as a "contender" then has a huge let down early on, dropping two, sometimes three games, then by season's end is playing so good they are propped up again in going into the offseason as a "team to watch" going into next season. Every game, every part of the season in college football should matter. Expanding and loosening the criteria of who can get in doesn't clarify anything. It actually muddies the water even more.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I wish I could dislike this post a thousand times you guys.

What's so wrong with what he's saying? A 16-team playoff would be way better than what we have now. We'd have a clear winner at the end of the season. Currently it's just who has the best record, arguably, at that.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
in a 4 team playoff ----- # 5 and a bunch of fans/sportswriters complain about getting left out
in a 6 team playoff ----- # 7 " " " " " " " " " " " "
in a 8 team playoff ----- # 9 .............well, you get the point

I don't care what system is in place there will always be people complaining and arguing about why such and such team got left out or the team that won it all had more losses than the team that "should be national champs" and it just keeps going on and on........................................

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
No offense, but why 16? The BCS has actually put the two best teams on the field most of the time, in my opinion. From talking to other college football fans, most people think that the BCS has put the two best teams on the field most of the time. If that is true, and we assume that the only debatable situations were between teams that were ranked numbers 2 and 3, why in the world would anyone think that we need sixteen teams. The four team playoff is plenty, but I do wish they would use the BCS formula to then select the rest of the BCS bowls regardless of conference affiliation. Of course, that is just my opinion, and we all seem to have one.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
in a 4 team playoff ----- # 5 and a bunch of fans/sportswriters complain about getting left out
in a 6 team playoff ----- # 7 " " " " " " " " " " " "
in a 8 team playoff ----- # 9 .............well, you get the point

I don't care what system is in place there will always be people complaining and arguing about why such and such team got left out or the team that won it all had more losses than the team that "should be national champs" and it just keeps going on and on........................................
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Just look at the ridiculous basketball situation they have now. They had 64 teams, and most of us thought that was perfect. Then there were a few situations where smaller schools either complained or threatened lawsuits, so just like every other situation in our society, they had to cave in to their wants and come up with this moronic stuff that they do now. What is it? Sixty-eight teams? Sixty-seven and a half? Whatever. As BamainMo said, people will always complain no matter how many teams are selected. I would rather have numbers five and six complaining than numbers seventeen and eighteen.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
With a 16-team playoff, you'll have 108 teams that play the standard number of games (assume that is 12), 8 that play 13 games, 4 that play 14 games, 2 that play 15 games, and 2 that play 16 games. So players on the two teams that play for the championship will have played approximately 33% more during the course of a season than those on the teams that don't make it to the playoff (actually more than that counting the extension of practices for those teams). That's 33% more chance of having injuries and it's 33% more wear and tear on their bodies. That's also 33% more possibility of harming those players' chances of having successful NFL careers.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
So? They lost two games, they lost the right to claim to be the best.

Besides, what do you honestly think happens if that game is played 10 times?
If the game was played 10 times, we probably win 8. Hypotheticals don't really matter though, this was one of the two games that we lost. IMO this is what makes CFB great, the fact that any team can beat any other team any given Saturday.

Of course it does, you're talking about allowing 2-loss teams compete against teams that won them all in order to claim they're better. Playoffs yield games where starters sit entire games (or most of them) because the team can 'afford a loss'. Playoffs yield less need to be at the top of your game every week as you only have to 'make the cut'.

Heck, if we went 'top 16' you'd have 10 teams that lost at least two games, including two teams that lost three games.

Does anyone really believe the 2007 Giants were the better team than the Patriots? The regular season was essentially meaningless as 'any given Sunday' happened on Super Bowl Sunday. The Giants never deserved the shot, got hot, and won it all.

That's not what's good for CFB.
I respect your opinions, but mine happen to differ from yours. My opinion is that if you are the best team in the nation then you should have no problem knocking off the unworthy 2 or 3 loss teams, if you can't you aren't worthy. The regular season is your ticket to the dance, then you have to bring your A game to win it all.

One last thing, so if we do at some point go to the 16 team playoff and Alabama gets in with 3 losses and wins it all, you are telling me that you will say they never deserved the shot?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If the game was played 10 times, we probably win 8. Hypotheticals don't really matter though, this was one of the two games that we lost. IMO this is what makes CFB great, the fact that any team can beat any other team any given Saturday.

I respect your opinions, but mine happen to differ from yours. My opinion is that if you are the best team in the nation then you should have no problem knocking off the unworthy 2 or 3 loss teams, if you can't you aren't worthy. The regular season is your ticket to the dance, then you have to bring your A game to win it all.

One last thing, so if we do at some point go to the 16 team playoff and Alabama gets in with 3 losses and wins it all, you are telling me that you will say they never deserved the shot?
Going by your logic then why stop at 16 teams? Why not go ahead and let teams with four and five losses in? I mean, if "anybody can beat anybody on any given day" and if the top teams are truly "the best" then it shouldn't matter. They should beat anybody and everybody we can throw their way, and if they can't then they're not the best.

If Alabama won a National Championship with three losses I'd be utterly ashamed that we had accepted a system that allowed that.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The basketball team could go 16-14, then get hot and win the SEC tourney and then the NCAA tourney. Would you feel guilty about claiming that championship

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hypotheticals don't really matter though, this was one of the two games that we lost.
Uhh, what?

And football is flukey enough that 'any given Saturday' - extending the season to give a 3-loss team a shot just increases the chances of injuries and the chance that something crazy happens.

Yes, I'm telling you that, assuming the vast majority of the other 16 teams or undefeated or one-loss teams.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
We are all going to have to wait and see how it goes in 2014. It's all speculation at this point. Let's give it a chance...we all love NCAAF regardless and that's not going to change.

Personally, though, I think the 4 team format is just right. It's great for Alabama. With CNS at the helm we are almost assured to be in that top 4 territory each year.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
Going by your logic then why stop at 16 teams? Why not go ahead and let teams with four and five losses in? I mean, if "anybody can beat anybody on any given day" and if the top teams are truly "the best" then it shouldn't matter. They should beat anybody and everybody we can throw their way, and if they can't then they're not the best.
My logic says let the top 13% of Division I FBS teams compete head to head to determine a champion, nothing more nothing less. If it so happens that a 4 or 5 loss team somehow manages to make it into the top 16 in a given year, then yes they should play in the playoff.

If Alabama won a National Championship with three losses I'd be utterly ashamed that we had accepted a system that allowed that.

Let's do a little exercise about this one. In the year 2021, we have a 16 team playoff, and Alabama finishes the regular season 9-3 ranked 14th. Alabama wins all four games of the playoff to claim the Erin Andrews Memorial Trophy and the National title finishing at 13-3, a .8125 winning percentage. Compare this to the 1941 Alabama national championship team which had a record of 9-2, a winning percentage of .8181. Are you just as ashamed of that national title?

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
Uhh, what?
This was in reference to my opinion that hypothetically we would have beat A&M 8 out of 10 games, November 10th just happened to be one of the hypothetical losses. I should have been more clear.

And football is flukey enough that 'any given Saturday' - extending the season to give a 3-loss team a shot just increases the chances of injuries and the chance that something crazy happens.

Yes, I'm telling you that, assuming the vast majority of the other 16 teams or undefeated or one-loss teams.
So I have stated how I think CFB should declare a champion, what is your opinion for how it should be done? The BCS as it is today, the 4 team playoff, the bowl/voter system, etc?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So I have stated how I think CFB should declare a champion, what is your opinion for how it should be done? The BCS as it is today, the 4 team playoff, the bowl/voter system, etc?
As I stated earlier, I think the BCS #1 vs #2 gets it right most of the time, but there are occasions where there is some question left at the end of the season. I see the four-team playoff being the best overall solution, yet hate that we're going there as I know it's just a matter of time before the 'everyone deserves a trophy' crowd demands an eight or larger team tourney.

IMO, if you can't make it into the top4 by the end of the season, you have zero claim to being the best in the country.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
For all those clamoring for more teams in the playoff...isn't the regular season a playoff already???? I mean, you've got anywhere from 11 to 12 games to prove your worth to be in the championship game. If you can't make your case with that many games how is one more going to help? Can anyone legitimately argue that Bama is NOT the best team in the SEC... that ND is NOT the best independent? All a 16 team playoff is going to do is cause hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing for teams 17 through 32.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.