Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Bama By Birth's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aaron Rodgers is putting on the hate!

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    16 team playoff? Seriously? When has there ever been a team ranked 16th that had a legitimate claim to being the best in the country?

Top4 is plenty, if they want to push it to 6 I can possibly see it, but there's never been a 7th ranked team (rarely even a fourth ranked team) that can legitimately lay claim to being the best.

Top8+ just cheapens the regular season.
    Agree. An SEC team would play 12 regular season games, one (13) SEC Championship game and 4 (17) playoff games if they won out. 17 games? Welcome the 2,000 yard running back and 5,000 yard quarterback. That is a lot of pounding on a kids body also.
    ' How did I know you went to Auburn? I saw your class ring when you were picking your nose."

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
    I agree. As it sits right now, the most important game in my eyes, we just played and won. The SEC Championship. To me, the Notre Dame game is just another game that i want us to win. The National Championship as it is now is so subjective it's not even worth arguing about. I mean, who's to say that any combination of Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Oregon, Texas A & M, Kansas State, LSU, or Stanford would hold any more or less value as a measure of a true National Championship game as the ND/Bama game will provide?

Don't get me wrong. I love Alabama and want us to crush ND. I'm just not one of those who beats his chest saying we're the best team in the country when we all know that we have a current system that doesn't ever give anyone the chance to really prove it. We just play the hand we're dealt. 14-0 is my goal for Bama every year. If we went undefeated and they voted us #6, who cares. All we did was win our games, the only thing we could control.
    [note to self -- throw away all t-shirts and other memorabilia with references to any Alabama national championships since none of them are apparently legitimate]
    The Concord Blue Devils, 15-Time World Champions: 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, and 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” ― Sergei Rachmaninoff

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTide View Post
    What's so wrong with what he's saying? A 16-team playoff would be way better than what we have now. We'd have a clear winner at the end of the season. Currently it's just who has the best record, arguably, at that.
    well, for one thing, there is a contract with the present system that everyone seems to forget.It runs through 2014.By the reasoning of some people, lets just ignore the contract that was made in good faith and do whatever is pleasing.The system has it's flaws and the 4 team play-off will have it too.
    "You don't have to have a good memory if you are truthful"

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    A playoff would also allow room for a team to improve over a season's time. Some may call this "getting hot", but it can also be due to young players maturing.
    Then you would basically be watering down the first portion of the season to allow teams to "get better". What about the teams that were good from start to finish and did it with zero losses or maybe one loss? Where's the "reward" in that? Letting teams in who had multiple losses in the first half of the season to be put in a position to knock off a team who played good the entire season is wrong on so many levels.

Take Virginia Tech (for example) who historically gets built up in the offseason as a "contender" then has a huge let down early on, dropping two, sometimes three games, then by season's end is playing so good they are propped up again in going into the offseason as a "team to watch" going into next season. Every game, every part of the season in college football should matter. Expanding and loosening the criteria of who can get in doesn't clarify anything. It actually muddies the water even more.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wish I could dislike this post a thousand times you guys.

What's so wrong with what he's saying? A 16-team playoff would be way better than what we have now. We'd have a clear winner at the end of the season. Currently it's just who has the best record, arguably, at that.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

in a 4 team playoff ----- # 5 and a bunch of fans/sportswriters complain about getting left out
    in a 6 team playoff ----- # 7 " " " " " " " " " " " "
    in a 8 team playoff ----- # 9 .............well, you get the point

I don't care what system is in place there will always be people complaining and arguing about why such and such team got left out or the team that won it all had more losses than the team that "should be national champs" and it just keeps going on and on........................................

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

No offense, but why 16? The BCS has actually put the two best teams on the field most of the time, in my opinion. From talking to other college football fans, most people think that the BCS has put the two best teams on the field most of the time. If that is true, and we assume that the only debatable situations were between teams that were ranked numbers 2 and 3, why in the world would anyone think that we need sixteen teams. The four team playoff is plenty, but I do wish they would use the BCS formula to then select the rest of the BCS bowls regardless of conference affiliation. Of course, that is just my opinion, and we all seem to have one.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInMo1 View Post
    in a 4 team playoff ----- # 5 and a bunch of fans/sportswriters complain about getting left out
    in a 6 team playoff ----- # 7 " " " " " " " " " " " "
    in a 8 team playoff ----- # 9 .............well, you get the point

I don't care what system is in place there will always be people complaining and arguing about why such and such team got left out or the team that won it all had more losses than the team that "should be national champs" and it just keeps going on and on........................................
    Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Just look at the ridiculous basketball situation they have now. They had 64 teams, and most of us thought that was perfect. Then there were a few situations where smaller schools either complained or threatened lawsuits, so just like every other situation in our society, they had to cave in to their wants and come up with this moronic stuff that they do now. What is it? Sixty-eight teams? Sixty-seven and a half? Whatever. As BamainMo said, people will always complain no matter how many teams are selected. I would rather have numbers five and six complaining than numbers seventeen and eighteen.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Everybody gets a trophy!
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

With a 16-team playoff, you'll have 108 teams that play the standard number of games (assume that is 12), 8 that play 13 games, 4 that play 14 games, 2 that play 15 games, and 2 that play 16 games. So players on the two teams that play for the championship will have played approximately 33% more during the course of a season than those on the teams that don't make it to the playoff (actually more than that counting the extension of practices for those teams). That's 33% more chance of having injuries and it's 33% more wear and tear on their bodies. That's also 33% more possibility of harming those players' chances of having successful NFL careers.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

So how do we match up against Northern Illinois in the first round?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    So? They lost two games, they lost the right to claim to be the best.

Besides, what do you honestly think happens if that game is played 10 times?
    If the game was played 10 times, we probably win 8. Hypotheticals don't really matter though, this was one of the two games that we lost. IMO this is what makes CFB great, the fact that any team can beat any other team any given Saturday.

Of course it does, you're talking about allowing 2-loss teams compete against teams that won them all in order to claim they're better. Playoffs yield games where starters sit entire games (or most of them) because the team can 'afford a loss'. Playoffs yield less need to be at the top of your game every week as you only have to 'make the cut'.

Heck, if we went 'top 16' you'd have 10 teams that lost at least two games, including two teams that lost three games.

Does anyone really believe the 2007 Giants were the better team than the Patriots? The regular season was essentially meaningless as 'any given Sunday' happened on Super Bowl Sunday. The Giants never deserved the shot, got hot, and won it all.

That's not what's good for CFB.
    I respect your opinions, but mine happen to differ from yours. My opinion is that if you are the best team in the nation then you should have no problem knocking off the unworthy 2 or 3 loss teams, if you can't you aren't worthy. The regular season is your ticket to the dance, then you have to bring your A game to win it all.

One last thing, so if we do at some point go to the 16 team playoff and Alabama gets in with 3 losses and wins it all, you are telling me that you will say they never deserved the shot?
    You will suffer through one of two things in life, either the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American Airborne Tider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

I personally don't want any playoff if I had a choice. Every game matters.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"