Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Recipes
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: Aaron Rodgers is putting on the hate!

Quote Originally Posted by rhm54 View Post
    If the game was played 10 times, we probably win 8. Hypotheticals don't really matter though, this was one of the two games that we lost. IMO this is what makes CFB great, the fact that any team can beat any other team any given Saturday.

I respect your opinions, but mine happen to differ from yours. My opinion is that if you are the best team in the nation then you should have no problem knocking off the unworthy 2 or 3 loss teams, if you can't you aren't worthy. The regular season is your ticket to the dance, then you have to bring your A game to win it all.

One last thing, so if we do at some point go to the 16 team playoff and Alabama gets in with 3 losses and wins it all, you are telling me that you will say they never deserved the shot?
    Going by your logic then why stop at 16 teams? Why not go ahead and let teams with four and five losses in? I mean, if "anybody can beat anybody on any given day" and if the top teams are truly "the best" then it shouldn't matter. They should beat anybody and everybody we can throw their way, and if they can't then they're not the best.

If Alabama won a National Championship with three losses I'd be utterly ashamed that we had accepted a system that allowed that.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement

The basketball team could go 16-14, then get hot and win the SEC tourney and then the NCAA tourney. Would you feel guilty about claiming that championship

Hypotheticals don't really matter though, this was one of the two games that we lost.
    Uhh, what?

I respect your opinions, but mine happen to differ from yours. My opinion is that if you are the best team in the nation then you should have no problem knocking off the unworthy 2 or 3 loss teams, if you can't you aren't worthy. The regular season is your ticket to the dance, then you have to bring your A game to win it all.
    And football is flukey enough that 'any given Saturday' - extending the season to give a 3-loss team a shot just increases the chances of injuries and the chance that something crazy happens.

One last thing, so if we do at some point go to the 16 team playoff and Alabama gets in with 3 losses and wins it all, you are telling me that you will say they never deserved the shot?
    Yes, I'm telling you that, assuming the vast majority of the other 16 teams or undefeated or one-loss teams.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We are all going to have to wait and see how it goes in 2014. It's all speculation at this point. Let's give it a chance...we all love NCAAF regardless and that's not going to change.

Personally, though, I think the 4 team format is just right. It's great for Alabama. With CNS at the helm we are almost assured to be in that top 4 territory each year.
    "Um, that's just like, your opinion, man."

- The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Going by your logic then why stop at 16 teams? Why not go ahead and let teams with four and five losses in? I mean, if "anybody can beat anybody on any given day" and if the top teams are truly "the best" then it shouldn't matter. They should beat anybody and everybody we can throw their way, and if they can't then they're not the best.
    My logic says let the top 13% of Division I FBS teams compete head to head to determine a champion, nothing more nothing less. If it so happens that a 4 or 5 loss team somehow manages to make it into the top 16 in a given year, then yes they should play in the playoff.

If Alabama won a National Championship with three losses I'd be utterly ashamed that we had accepted a system that allowed that.

Let's do a little exercise about this one. In the year 2021, we have a 16 team playoff, and Alabama finishes the regular season 9-3 ranked 14th. Alabama wins all four games of the playoff to claim the Erin Andrews Memorial Trophy and the National title finishing at 13-3, a .8125 winning percentage. Compare this to the 1941 Alabama national championship team which had a record of 9-2, a winning percentage of .8181. Are you just as ashamed of that national title?
    You will suffer through one of two things in life, either the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Uhh, what?
    This was in reference to my opinion that hypothetically we would have beat A&M 8 out of 10 games, November 10th just happened to be one of the hypothetical losses. I should have been more clear.

And football is flukey enough that 'any given Saturday' - extending the season to give a 3-loss team a shot just increases the chances of injuries and the chance that something crazy happens.

Yes, I'm telling you that, assuming the vast majority of the other 16 teams or undefeated or one-loss teams.
    So I have stated how I think CFB should declare a champion, what is your opinion for how it should be done? The BCS as it is today, the 4 team playoff, the bowl/voter system, etc?
    You will suffer through one of two things in life, either the pain of discipline or the pain of disappointment - Nick Saban

So I have stated how I think CFB should declare a champion, what is your opinion for how it should be done? The BCS as it is today, the 4 team playoff, the bowl/voter system, etc?
    As I stated earlier, I think the BCS #1 vs #2 gets it right most of the time, but there are occasions where there is some question left at the end of the season. I see the four-team playoff being the best overall solution, yet hate that we're going there as I know it's just a matter of time before the 'everyone deserves a trophy' crowd demands an eight or larger team tourney.

IMO, if you can't make it into the top4 by the end of the season, you have zero claim to being the best in the country.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

For all those clamoring for more teams in the playoff...isn't the regular season a playoff already???? I mean, you've got anywhere from 11 to 12 games to prove your worth to be in the championship game. If you can't make your case with that many games how is one more going to help? Can anyone legitimately argue that Bama is NOT the best team in the SEC... that ND is NOT the best independent? All a 16 team playoff is going to do is cause hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing for teams 17 through 32.

BamaNation All-SEC

For all of the people wanting a big playoff system, just become basketball fans and leave football alone. Go become year-round baseball fans. A playoff system in football would shorten the regular season, cause more injuries overall, and still not determine a national champion. It would only prove who wins a random tournament at the end of the season. Pointless!!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

*My logic says let the top 13% of Division I FBS teams compete head to head to determine a champion, nothing more nothing less. If it so happens that a 4 or 5 loss team somehow manages to make it into the top 16 in a given year, then yes they should play in the playoff.

Let's do a little exercise about this one. In the year 2021, we have a 16 team playoff, and Alabama finishes the regular season 9-3 ranked 14th. Alabama wins all four games of the playoff to claim the Erin Andrews Memorial Trophy and the National title finishing at 13-3, a .8125 winning percentage. **Compare this to the 1941 Alabama national championship team which had a record of 9-2, a winning percentage of .8181. Are you just as ashamed of that national title?
    *Then I guess our "logic" just don't jee-haw with each other. IMO, your "logic" is watering down standards and making a large segment of the regular season nothing more than handing out Mulligans. Turning that segment of the season into an extension of the offseason. If that's what you like then so be it. But I don't.

**You might want to do some research on the 1941 Championship and you'll probably know where I stand on that one.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Every game means something? What did West Carolina mean? We have plenty of meaningless games around the country now.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    Every game means something? What did West Carolina mean? We have plenty of meaningless games around the country now.
    Well, it means we finished the regular season 11-1, instead of 10-2. If we had lost to WC, you don't think it would mean something?
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    You think we'd be in the BCSCG if we had lost that game?

Lurch Backwater!