Link: Aaron Rodgers is putting on the hate!

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
For all of the people wanting a big playoff system, just become basketball fans and leave football alone. Go become year-round baseball fans. A playoff system in football would shorten the regular season, cause more injuries overall, and still not determine a national champion. It would only prove who wins a random tournament at the end of the season. Pointless!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
*My logic says let the top 13% of Division I FBS teams compete head to head to determine a champion, nothing more nothing less. If it so happens that a 4 or 5 loss team somehow manages to make it into the top 16 in a given year, then yes they should play in the playoff.

Let's do a little exercise about this one. In the year 2021, we have a 16 team playoff, and Alabama finishes the regular season 9-3 ranked 14th. Alabama wins all four games of the playoff to claim the Erin Andrews Memorial Trophy and the National title finishing at 13-3, a .8125 winning percentage. **Compare this to the 1941 Alabama national championship team which had a record of 9-2, a winning percentage of .8181. Are you just as ashamed of that national title?
*Then I guess our "logic" just don't jee-haw with each other. IMO, your "logic" is watering down standards and making a large segment of the regular season nothing more than handing out Mulligans. Turning that segment of the season into an extension of the offseason. If that's what you like then so be it. But I don't.

**You might want to do some research on the 1941 Championship and you'll probably know where I stand on that one.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Every game means something? What did West Carolina mean? We have plenty of meaningless games around the country now.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Every game means something? What did West Carolina mean? We have plenty of meaningless games around the country now.
That game might not have meant much for our chances in the BCS, but it wasn't meaningless at all.

It meant that those players at West Carolina now have a story to tell their grandkids about when they played the defending national champions.

It meant a lot of money for the athletic department at West Carolina.

It meant that some Bama fans that rarely get an opportunity to take their families to a ball game probably were able to pickup some tickets at affordable prices and let their kids experience gameday at Bryant-Denny. The game might not have been that exciting to many adult fans, but it would be an amazing thing for kids that haven't been to one.

It meant that a lot of Bama's players that bust their tails in practice actually got some playing time as a reward.

I see a lot of benefits out of these games. Of course, our entertainment-addicted society is only concerned with making sure that they are continuously stimulated, so they think that every game should be like the SECCG. They're so consumed with making it more entertaining that all other concerns are ignored.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.