Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Post Thanks / Like

Article Auburn, Arkansas taking divergent paths in new SEC

Auburn, Arkansas taking divergent paths in new SEC
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    December 4th, 2012 11:55 PM

Dec. 4 was a busy day in the SEC. First, Arkansas announced it had swiped Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema to be its successor to Bob Petrino. Then, Auburn hired Gus Malzahn instead of Bob Petrino (or Kirby Smart). . Tennessee’s job opening lingers, with the Volunteers [...]

Read More Here
    Last edited by BamaNation; December 6th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Auburn, Arkansas taking divergent paths in new SEC

I think you hit those two situations spot on. I must say I thought Petrino was their man, but I also thought Malzahn might still be in play. It would appear we were the big winner yesterday.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It's quite humorous the way Bielema was running down the SEC and now he has joined the fold. I'm not sure I could ever trust a person doing such a seemingly about-face....

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Auburn seems capable of pulling in great recruiting classes. I wonder at their decision to go in this direction, but perhaps it is because they believe that their greatest chance at success when facing Alabama with Nick Saban is to implement a system other than a pro-set offense. After all, Alabama seems to feast on teams that try to beat them at their game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Auburn seems capable of pulling in great recruiting classes. I wonder at their decision to go in this direction, but perhaps it is because they believe that their greatest chance at success when facing Alabama with Nick Saban is to implement a system other than a pro-set offense. After all, Alabama seems to feast on teams that try to beat them at their game.
    They struggle with recruiting because they are forever second fiddle in their own state, and the talent that they are closer to (Georgia, Florida) already lean to the powers in those states (Bulldogs, Gators, Seminoles). It's no coincidence that their greatest sustained success has come when Alabama was down for whatever reason, and especially when either Florida or Georgia was also struggling.

I agree with Jess's last paragraph. I think the Malzahn hire was a clear signal of surrender for this round. They will resign themselves to waiting until Nick Saban retires and hoping that we screw up the replacement, or that they can dig up some dirt on us (an old tactic).

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Jess, what do you mean by this next to last statement in the article?

If the Tigers are going to close the gap between themselves and the Crimson Tide, it won’t be done by conventional means.
    It would seem that Gus is an unconventional hire running an unconventional system. Do you mean something else?
    The Concord Blue Devils, 15-Time World Champions: 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, and 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” ― Sergei Rachmaninoff

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect this Auburn hire was initiated to try and ensure the current recruiting class stays together as most of those prospects will remember Gus's success and not his failures. Plus, there as still a lot of current players recruited to run his offense. So in the short term these objectives may be met but your comments are prophetic when considering the aspects of longer term failure.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I said it in another topic:

Arkansas and Auburn were at watershed moments because it is apparent that the pecking order in the West division has been disrupted by the Aggies.

Arkansas doubled-down on power running and a look resembling the traditional SEC contender.

Auburn decided to become the Texas Tech of the SEC.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    It's quite humorous the way Bielema was running down the SEC and now he has joined the fold. I'm not sure I could ever trust a person doing such a seemingly about-face....
    And in Wisconsin the line from an old song was: 'Go on, take the money and run'...

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read! One plausible explanation is that they plan to pay players whenever possible, now that they've established that the NCAA (individual investigators and/or the entire institution) is afraid of being sued in an Alabama court by Alabama lawyers. If you believe they did this before and plan to continue, there's only one candidate they could've called to execute that plan.

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Jess, what do you mean by this next to last statement in the article?

It would seem that Gus is an unconventional hire running an unconventional system. Do you mean something else?

The systems. They're not going to beat Alabama playing Alabama football at this point. To that end, the Malzahn hire makes sense. The problem for them is, gimmick offenses have a finite shelf life.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    The systems. They're not going to beat Alabama playing Alabama football at this point. To that end, the Malzahn hire makes sense. The problem for them is, gimmick offenses have a finite shelf life.
    i think the expiration date was on January 8, 2011
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

A coup for Arkansas. A coop (as in chicken) for AU.