To those who ask why Malzahn would take the AU job with the NCAA sniffing around...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Why did Franchione take Alabama's job in 2001?

Butch Davis accepted and then backed out. Frank Beamer turned down UA. But Franchione took it.

Someone always takes it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to see what the staff looks like before I comment too much. But, if Trooper is still around I guess it's because he's tied to this no matter what.

Gus was the one that pushed for Cam, who as we know was being shopped around. Gus is the one that stuck with Dyer even when he proved to be a criminal. If Gus doesn't do some housecleaning we'll have our answer.

There's something interesting here and Gene might have been the patsy. Consider the notion that many felt Gene was brought in strictly because Auburn knew they could continue doing what ever they wanted without interference. Add to that the fact that a lot of people felt Gus was the one responsible for more than a coordinator should be responsible for.

It is entirely possible that Gene turned out to be the one getting fed up with things. He tried getting more strict, he did a poor job but if he was never in control that would be a good explanation. Gus might turn out to be the guy that knew where the bodies were buried and Auburn in turn might have some leverage over him. If they're both in this together, it kind of makes sense that they stick together.

As I said though, let's see what the staff looks like. But, if Trooper is still around I think we all know what's going on... Also, if Auburn hangs onto most of their top recruits that will tell us something to. They were winless in the SEC and fired their coach. Normal recruiting tactics do not keep a class around after that sort of debacle.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As I said in the other thread, he was desperate, dirty, or stupid. It doesn't necessarily have to mean that Auburn will skate.

But whether they skate or not, they are a dumpster fire. It's not going to be an easy job as some barners seem to believe.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Look at Penn State, now Bill O'Brien is a "hot" name. He took it when sanctions were bad. You do mediocre to well, you get praised for it. You don't do well, you have an "excuse".

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Here is my theory as to what has went down the past few years. They finally got rid of Tubberville with a chance to hire someone that they could control, in walks Chizic. They then go out to hire the best coordinators they could find and luck up on Malzahn. Whoever was in charge down there wanted to implement the spread offense and they tried with Tubbs but he wouldn't go all in and thus the mess after that! ;)

The first year they find out who is really the head coach between Chizic and Malzahn. Malzahn goes after Cam Newton for QB and hits a home run and the next season wind up winning the SEC and BCS championships. Chizic gets the glory and even writes a book. Cam moves on and discontent ensues between Chizic and Malzahn because Malzahn knows he is the reason Auburn won the championships and the Auburn brass knows it too.

So how do you go about demoting the head coach and promoting the coordinator to head coach? While they are both working on the same team? I've never seen it that I can recall. :)

So the plan is hatched for Malzahn to take a head job somewhere else even if its a lesser job and preferably so. Wouldn't do to let him go to a program of equal or better prestige than Auburn plus more money and then him come back after just one year. But if it were to a lesser program it would make better sense for him to return for the big time job and money. Thats why he agreed to a pay cut to go to Arkansas State! ;)

They knew Chizic would tank this season. If it weren't for Malzahn they would have had just as bad a season last year as they did this year. So it was planned all along. Malzahn knows their skeletons and he probably shares them. The rest was just a ploy to make it look on the up and up. They are slick down there without a doubt! Thats my story and I am sticking to it...at least for now! ;)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
better question, why would Auburn want him. SEC defenses figured out his offense already. Only reason I can see is he knows where the bodies are buried and can move them if the NCAA gets close.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think what is hilarious is the assumption Gus is the terminator of CNS based off of two games where he went 1-1 with a victory margin of one point (2009, 2010 Iron Bowls). He had an off week before both games, the first was at home & the second had more to do with our turning the ball over & injuries than anything else.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Actually, Gus took the job because he knew the only way the NCAA was going to really get the goods on *U would be if someone on the inside brought it out. Since he took the job at Arky St., he was no longer privy to a lot of *U's internal secrets. Since they were looking for a new coach, he thought he'd take the job. Once he was again on the inside, he'd have the opportunity to bring their secrets to light.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I have to see what the staff looks like before I comment too much. But, if Trooper is still around I guess it's because he's tied to this no matter what.

Gus was the one that pushed for Cam, who as we know was being shopped around. Gus is the one that stuck with Dyer even when he proved to be a criminal. If Gus doesn't do some housecleaning we'll have our answer.

There's something interesting here and Gene might have been the patsy. Consider the notion that many felt Gene was brought in strictly because Auburn knew they could continue doing what ever they wanted without interference. Add to that the fact that a lot of people felt Gus was the one responsible for more than a coordinator should be responsible for.

It is entirely possible that Gene turned out to be the one getting fed up with things. He tried getting more strict, he did a poor job but if he was never in control that would be a good explanation. Gus might turn out to be the guy that knew where the bodies were buried and Auburn in turn might have some leverage over him. If they're both in this together, it kind of makes sense that they stick together.

As I said though, let's see what the staff looks like. But, if Trooper is still around I think we all know what's going on... Also, if Auburn hangs onto most of their top recruits that will tell us something to. They were winless in the SEC and fired their coach. Normal recruiting tactics do not keep a class around after that sort of debacle.
Trooper was let go yesterday.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I think what is hilarious is the assumption Gus is the terminator of CNS based off of two games where he went 1-1 with a victory margin of one point (2009, 2010 Iron Bowls). He had an off week before both games, the first was at home & the second had more to do with our turning the ball over & injuries than anything else.
Did they just conveniently leave out 2011 in their assumption where the offense did not score a point?

tidefaninvr

3rd Team
Sep 15, 2007
Trooper was let go yesterday.
Yea but most seem to forget that the former assistants are all allowed to interview for their positions now that Gus is back in the fold. All except for Uncle Rico that is due to the hiring of Ellis.

I for one would like to see Trooper out of football altogether, but not counting my chickens yet

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
They did get a little better, maybe. I feel that will be short lives though.

Malzahn will improve the team, of course after a 3-9 season with 0-8 record in conference...how could he not?

They have some decent players down there to work with, but Chizik showed that he cannot maintain any kind of discipline or develop talent...

Im not sure of all the conspiracy theories beign written, but I do think that the majority realized, or at least learned from this past season, that Malzahn had more to do with their championship season that Chizik did...

he was the symbol o recent success for them...thats the mainreason he was brought back in...to try and reclaim it...

Now, all they need to do is find that once in a lifetime QB again and have the lightening strike the same place twice...
dont see that part happening...

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Yea but most seem to forget that the former assistants are all allowed to interview for their positions now that Gus is back in the fold. All except for Uncle Rico that is due to the hiring of Ellis.

I for one would like to see Trooper out of football altogether, but not counting my chickens yet
Gus won't bring him back. I just can't see it happening. To have any chance at all of righting that ship, he MUST cut ties with every assistant that was their under chizik. Otherwise, he'd just be defeating the purpose of cleaning house.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.