With The Lull In Football Can We Please Support Basketball?!

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I hope this doesn't get moved because I'm sincere. Our Basketball Forum looks like the Sahara Desert.

I am fully aware that football is king here...always will be. BUT...

We've got ourselves a pretty darn good Basketball team playing some pretty good basketball.

Right now, we're the first team in "Other teams receiving votes" outside the AP top 25 at 6-1 with only the last second loss to a very good Cincinnati team.

I think Anthony Grant is a great coach, but he can't rebuild our program without our support.

I hope maybe that we can refocus for just a second and give our basketball team a bit of our attention.

I know it's difficult with the BCS coming up but we need to do it if we truly give a damn.

Otherwise, we need to keep our mouth's shut if we're not a dominant Basketball team after the Notre Dame game is over.

Come on people...let's do it for the Basketball team.

sip
I think if I am not mistaken this is a FOOTBALL BOARD, it should be moved to Basketball. I am sorry but i didnt read your post.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I think if I am not mistaken this is a FOOTBALL BOARD, it should be moved to Basketball. I am sorry but i didnt read your post.
Not at all. It is how the basketball team is doing in relation to the football season. Therefore it belongs on the football board.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Not at all. It is how the basketball team is doing in relation to the football season. Therefore it belongs on the football board.
I'll say this.....they can definitely co-exist! When I was at Bama in the mid-late seventies both football and basketball were pretty much ranked in the top five nationally at all times. Our basketball team in 76 was incredible.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I imagine any "no" is from people who have zero basketball interest, and who would have no occasion to gripe about basketball.
This is me. I tried my best to be interested in Bball. It is just not interesting to me. I am not against our team and if I were in T-town with a ticket, I would go just to say I sent. I just don't care for Bball period. I can't tell you who last year's champs are college or pro. Same for baseball.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
Love Bama hoops. My oldest son a big b-ball fan, and try to make it up for a few games each season. I've been following since the Ansley/Whatley days.

My fave Bama team from back in the day was the team that had Horry, Cheatham, Sprewell, Robinson, etc. Those guys could have been a final four team with a few breaks.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
That is for the Mods to decide and when one of us gets the energy, maybe we will!

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'm trying to find out when we play Talladega, the best physically conditioned team we'll face. I've heard those guys run like 500 laps a day :)
We don't play them at all. They're in an entirely different league (USCAA). But I agree with you that they are a very physical team, and they have multiple NC trophies for their league to prove it.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think that this is a good thread and that some people simply don't get the game because they don't understand it. It comes out a lot when they enter a game thread over on the basketball board or they don't know when to cheer and when not to cheer. It is a game of scoring runs (Unless you saw the Georgetown/Tenn. game) and people have a problem with seeing 8 -10 pt. scoring spurts by the other team. However, it is also a game of constant adjustments and usually we pick up a scoring spurt of our own.

I have to say in my "professional" opinion as a Mod that there is nothing wrong with this post on the football board as a "pre-post-season" thread. Sure beats discussing "White Helmets" or "Names on the Uniforms".

It beats constantly discussing the athletics at API and the legitimization of that "school down the road"

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I hope this doesn't get moved because I'm sincere. Our Basketball Forum looks like the Sahara Desert.

We've got ourselves a pretty darn good Basketball team playing some pretty good basketball...

I think Anthony Grant is a great coach, but he can't rebuild our program without our support...

Otherwise, we need to keep our mouth's shut if we're not a dominant Basketball team after the Notre Dame game is over.

sip
So you have no gripe at all from this point forward. Thanks for that brilliant post.
I guess I understand the idea that more activity on the basketball forum will encourage the basketball team to play hard and better...

But I'm kinda hungup on the second point...if you want to criticize the basketball team you'd better start before Jan. 7th...? Criticism from people that only start up after the final football game won't be valid...

Just pulling your chain here sip, we were in T-town the same time, I'm '72 thru '76. ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think that this is a good thread and that some people simply don't get the game because they don't understand it. It comes out a lot when they enter a game thread over on the basketball board or they don't know when to cheer and when not to cheer. It is a game of scoring runs (Unless you saw the Georgetown/Tenn. game) and people have a problem with seeing 8 -10 pt. scoring spurts by the other team. However, it is also a game of constant adjustments and usually we pick up a scoring spurt of our own.

I have in my "professional" opinion as a Mod that there is nothing wrong with this post on the football board as a "pre-post-season" thread. Sure beats discussing "White Helmets" or "Names on the Uniforms".

It beats constantly discussing the athletics at API and the legitimization of that "school down the road"
Thanks and I agree!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I guess I understand the idea that more activity on the basketball forum will encourage the basketball team to play hard and better...

But I'm kinda hungup on the second point...if you want to criticize the basketball team you'd better start before Jan. 7th...? Criticism from people that only start up after the final football game won't be valid...

Just pulling your chain here sip, we were in T-town the same time, I'm '72 thru '76. ;)
The 70's were a great time to be in T-Town indeed.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As much as I prefer college to the NFL, I'm the opposite in basketball. I just find the pro game more interesting because there is greater talent across each roster. College teams with the exception of the very top level has some size or shooting deficiency that kills the whole team. The press is so widely used in college because most teams only have one reliable ball handler on the court. I don't like the short 3pt line or the 35 second clock.

With that said, I try to attend a few Alabama games and will watch them any time they're on television.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I used to love college basketball. But it's become all about the tournament and the interest just isn't there for me this time of the year. Plus Gottfried really run the program into the gutter. Another factor that really makes it frustrating to watch is the ineptness of the referees. It's ten times worse than football.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I used to love college basketball. But it's become all about the tournament and the interest just isn't there for me this time of the year. Plus Gottfried really run the program into the gutter. Another factor that really makes it frustrating to watch is the ineptness of the referees. It's ten times worse than football.
Plus there's 3X number of teams and there's just not many TV games out of state.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.