With The Lull In Football Can We Please Support Basketball?!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was under the impression that Alabama was one of the better BB teams at home (struggle on the road), and that you had very good turnout for your home games. Is this not true?

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Alabama has the potential to be a really good team, we're just a quality big man away. Lacey, Releford, Cooper, Randolph, those guys are awesome but you can't win consistently with just great guards. We've come light years since Gottfried was here. Once CAG can find a good big man we'll be right there. As it is, we'll win a few games this year we shouldn't but we'll also lose some we shouldn't (like against Dayton).

FWIW, I've been following Alabama b'ball for years. I remember being in the stands when Leon Douglas was on his official visit and they passed out cards telling us to chant "We want Leon" when they announced he was at the game.

Last edited:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
The 4 better arena's are in no particular order are, Auburn,s USA's, UAB's, and the BJCC. I've been in the arenas at USA, UAB and the BJCC. Haven't been in Aubies new arena, but I can only assume it is better. I hear there is a nice one in Huntsville as well, but I haven't been there so I don't know.
It's a small arena but Troy just opened a new one this year.

JayRock

3rd Team
Feb 10, 2004
hueytown, al, usa
What I do not, cannot, never will, understand is that segment that calls themselves Alabama fans, yet not only has no interest in sports like Basketball -they seem to REVEL in rubbing their lack of support in people's faces. IF you support The University, why are you not wanting excellence in all endeavors?
I agree completely. I can understand if someone doesn't particularly like a certain sport, but there is no need to get on a message board and celebrate the fact that you don't like/support that sport.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I love Alabama basketball and watch them whenever they are on TV. I'll admit though, I'm no where near as knowledgeable about basketball and the history of basketball as I am about football because I don't follow it as closely. The problem I have with the basketball board here on TideFans is that unless you are 100% knowledgeable about b-ball and can quote stat after stat you are basically told to stay on the football board so, that is what I do (unless it is to say "great game", "good win", or "tough loss"). Some of the hardcore b-ball fans here are a little harsh at times towards those who are not as hardcore IMO so, why bother. I mean no offense to anyone, just stating how I feel and why I don't post much on the b-ball board.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I am a basketball season ticket holder....support this year has been decent so far. I tend to think that Coleman is a good venue. I think basketball excitement doesn't build in the early season because of the typically very poor home schedule.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I am a basketball season ticket holder....support this year has been decent so far. I tend to think that Coleman is a good venue. I think basketball excitement doesn't build in the early season because of the typically very poor home schedule.
Yes I agree but we need to stop losing our home games. Easier said than done but nothing keeps people away faster than a lack off success. I think Dayton was pretty good though and I think this team has some potential.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
When football is completely over, my interest in basketball will increase. Until then I only having a slight interest.
Basketball’s biggest problem is the best part is the last 5 minutes.

Condor 63

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2003
Birmingham, AL
home.bham.rr.com
The 4 better arena's are in no particular order are, Auburn,s USA's, UAB's, and the BJCC. I've been in the arenas at USA, UAB and the BJCC.
UAB's IMO - Blah. Went there for a hoops game or two and the SEC Gymnastics Championship a few years back. I think it is cookie cutter. The half-filled with UAB mopes situation might be part of it.

I went to the Bama-Oke St. game last year and I had truly forgotten what a great hoops site the BJCC is. Great crowd for that game. It was disapointing the crowd was so crappy for the SEC/Big East Challenge in '07. Had a blast at the game but I was one of a few. :rolleyes:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes I agree but we need to stop losing our home games. Easier said than done but nothing keeps people away faster than a lack off success. I think Dayton was pretty good though and I think this team has some potential.
We were badly crippled with Engstrom and Steele out. Unfortunately, it doesn't look good for a quick return of Steele, who's had bad injury luck his whole career. I have hopes that, with ten days rest, Carl will be back...

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
We were badly crippled with Engstrom and Steele out. Unfortunately, it doesn't look good for a quick return of Steele, who's had bad injury luck his whole career. I have hopes that, with ten days rest, Carl will be back...
If this team is dependent on Engstrom and Steele for success, then we are done for the year.

Not meant to be a knock on those guys, but in year 4 of CAG, we should be WELL past that point

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I love Alabama but I've never been a big fan if basketball. I gave up years ago. We've been to the elite eight (the farthest any Bama team has ever advanced) once only to get stomped by the eventual national champ UCONN. The sweet 16 is about the best we can do as Alabama has proven time and time again. We will never be the top dog in SEC mens basketball. We are a football school.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
I love Alabama but I've never been a big fan if basketball. I gave up years ago. We've been to the elite eight (the farthest any Bama team has ever advanced) once only to get stomped by the eventual national champ UCONN. The sweet 16 is about the best we can do as Alabama has proven time and time again. We will never be the top dog in SEC mens basketball. We are a football school.
Mentalities and attitudes like this make me want to violate the profanity rule

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
What I do not, cannot, never will, understand is that segment that calls themselves Alabama fans, yet not only has no interest in sports like Basketball - they seem to REVEL in rubbing their lack of support in people's faces.

IF you support The University, why are you not wanting excellence in all endeavors?
Since you disliked my post (as well as others) I'm assuming you're implying that I'm one of the ones you think revels in the fact that I'm not a supporting the BB team. That's not true. As my post said, I wish all of Alabama's sports well and I hope they win every game. That doesn't mean I have to be a fan of many of them and doesn't mean that I have to follow them. We have a basketball forum for people who want to discuss basketball.

I'm as equally puzzled why people have such a problem discussing our biggest rival that we play every year and recruit against every day in the sport of football on the football board forum...

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Sip this was poorly timed. If casual fans actually got interested and turned on the Dayton game they will think we are terrible and probably not watch another game. Haven't seen that bad of defense out of a team under Grant in a while. It was pretty tough to watch at times as they ran down the court and beat the press over and over.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hope the women's soccer team wins the national championship, but don't ask me to watch any of their matches. Does that make me a bad Alabama fan?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Well, we've had 5 different lineups in 6 games due to injuries. I think we can cut them a little slack for losing to a decent Dayton team.
I think you misinterpreted my sarcasm on what the other poster posted! RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.