SEC Scheduling (LSU Conspiracy Theories)

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I've been reading some other team's boards (unfortunately), and one of the things the LSU people are up in arms about is that they have to play UGA next year. They say we should have to play them instead of Kentucky. Anyone know anything about this?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've been reading some other team's boards (unfortunately), and one of the things the LSU people are up in arms about is that they have to play UGA next year. They say we should have to play them instead of Kentucky. Anyone know anything about this?
After the way we've been screwed over in this conference, no other team has a right to complain, much less the Hogs...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Alabama playing 6 straight SEC teams off a bye to end the season: A-OK.

Alabama getting some good fortune from the schedule in 2012 and 2013: TRAVESTY THE SEC NEEDS TO FIX THIS!

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Speaking of schedules, I just noticed we play Chattanooga and Georgia State next season. Is one of them going to be moving up to FBS next year, or are we going to be playing 2 FCS schools? Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think Alabama suffered from the scheduling monster for several years where it added up across consecutive seasons where Alabama played like 14-15 SEC teams coming off their byes. At one point Alabama played 6 consecutive SEC teams coming off their bye.

I wouldn't bother with too many LSU internet fans. It is quite funny how they commonly call us "arrogant" yet I have found they are about as arrogant as they come. They love the "we play down to our competition" phrase. How convenient. Trust me, it's not that any team is better than LSU. NOOOO!!!! That is impossible. They just "play down to their competition". Anytime they win it's because they are so great. But anytime Bama wins (against any team) go look at their boards. Excuse, after excuse after excuse of how "lucky" Bama was and "they're not really that good" etc. It kills them to say Alabama is good. That is why they come up with all this conspiracy theory mess. Yet I can't tell you how many games I've watched (against other teams besides Bama) where they benefited from non calls or calls that shouldn't have been called on the other team that helped them.

They've handled success the wrong way. Obnoxious is being kind.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I was just trying to find out what happened. I'm guessing it has to do with the addition of A&M and Mizzou.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
i think alabama suffered from the scheduling monster for several years where it added up across consecutive seasons where alabama played like 14-15 sec teams coming off their byes. At one point alabama played 6 consecutive sec teams coming off their bye.

I wouldn't bother with too many lsu internet fans. It is quite funny how they commonly call us "arrogant" yet i have found they are about as arrogant as they come. They love the "we play down to our competition" phrase. How convenient. Trust me, it's not that any team is better than lsu. Noooo!!!! That is impossible. They just "play down to their competition". Anytime they win it's because they are so great. But anytime bama wins (against any team) go look at their boards. Excuse, after excuse after excuse of how "lucky" bama was and "they're not really that good" etc. It kills them to say alabama is good. That is why they come up with all this conspiracy theory mess. Yet i can't tell you how many games i've watched (against other teams besides bama) where they benefited from non calls or calls that shouldn't have been called on the other team that helped them.

They've handled success the wrong way. Obnoxious is being kind.
but alabama never gets called for holding! 51 rushes and no holding penalties!

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
In 2009, Alabama played 8 SEC teams. 7 of those teams went bowling.

We also played a 10-win Va Tech team
We were also the only team to beat not 1 but 2 teams (facing two 13-win teams) - Texas & Florida.

Number of Alabama fans whining about too tough a schedule or unfair: 0

Besides, we played Florida last year and everyone said we got off easy! Now we don't play them and we get off easy!

Remember kids - SEC schedulers are psychic.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I assume it has something to do with the fact that before A&M and Mizzou came to the SEC our home and home with Georgia would've been this year and next year. They got replaced with Mizzou

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
In 2009, Alabama played 8 SEC teams. 7 of those teams went bowling.

We also played a 10-win Va Tech team
We were also the only team to beat not 1 but 2 teams (facing two 13-win teams) - Texas & Florida.
Alabama's SoS was #2 that year. #1 was Miss. State who had to play Alabama...

In 2010 Alabama had to face an insane number of teams coming off of bye weeks (and I believe all their losses were in fact against teams coming off of bye weeks) and on top of that it was also the 14th most difficult schedule in the country.

Alabama has had more than their fare share of difficult schedules.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
IIRC, didn't a lot of our fans comment on losing UGA on our schedule this year. And, IIRC, disappointment was the common theme. Seems to me that we thought UGA was getting off lightly by not having to play Bama. Of course the SECCG proved they were a bit tougher than we thought they were, but the result was the same.

Roll Tsunami, Roll!:BigA:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
You know who they have to play that brings up their schedule strength every year? Bama. Bama doesn't play Bama so that hurts our strength of schedule comparatively to the teams Bama plays. Now what the heck can we do about that? ;)

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Posted by yours truly elsewhere:

Everyone points to Alabama's schedule this year as some sign of favoritism.

That's fascinating, considering the 2009 and 2010 years and what the Tide went through.

In 2009 Alabama, going undefeated, played 8 SEC teams. Of those 8, 7 had winning records and went on to Bowl Games. They also opened with Va Tech (a 10 win team), had to beat an undefeated Florida in the SECCG, and then beat an undefeated Texas in the Rose Bowl

In 2010, Alabama had to play 6 SEC squads who had a week off prior to playing them. That included drawing Florida and South Carolina from the East, as well as bowl-bound Tennessee (teams 1, 2 and T3 in the SEC East).

In 2011, after having played South Carolina twice, USCe rotated off the schedule and Vandy rotated on. Florida was in the second game of their swing against the Tide. Florida under achieved that year, winning only 7 overall games.

In 2012, Florida rotated off. Florida, of course, has a break out season. SEC officials, in an AMAZING amount of psychic power, accurately predicts this will happen when they first drew up the rotational schedule years ago.

The SEC, while making the 2012 schedule, moves Vandy off of Alabama's schedule for Missouri (an 8-5 team from the previous year, who had beaten Texas A&M, and narrowly lost by 1 score three times - to ASU, highly ranked KSU, and RG3 led Baylor). Once again, kudos to the SEC for being able to see that this team that was just shy of winning 11 games the previous year would have a worse record than Vanderbilt.

So basically it boils down to this:
Alabama has 6 West opponents (6 of 8 SEC games)
Tennessee as a permanent opponent (established in 1992, during a very good run for Tennessee)
Rotates 1 SEC East Team (previously 2 teams)

How dare you Alabama! How dare you use your powers to foresee the future for such a trivial thing as football scheduling instead of solving the world's problems!

For SHAME!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Gee, what are they going to do if they win the West next year and have to play somebody decent in the SECCG? Blame Alabama for losing the West?

You don't see us complaining about how they've had an off week before our game for what seems like forever.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Alabama's SoS was #2 that year. #1 was Miss. State who had to play Alabama...

In 2010 Alabama had to face an insane number of teams coming off of bye weeks (and I believe all their losses were in fact against teams coming off of bye weeks) and on top of that it was also the 14th most difficult schedule in the country.

Alabama has had more than their fare share of difficult schedules.
In 2010 Bama also had 5 consecutive SEC games in consecutive weeks with 3 of those on the road. LSU did not have more than 2 SEC games in consecutive weeks in 2010.

http://www.hollymcdonald.com/pages.php?page=09/08/27/1870981

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.