JUCO QB Jake Waters commits to Kansas St

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Re: Jake Waters Juco QB gets Alabama visit

Well they've got to protect themselves. Everybody knows AJ wants to leave, its about whether he will or not.

Nobody KNOWS that

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

We're definitely not recruiting a JUCO QB to come in and call the signals for McCarron next season.

I'll leave it at that...[/I think it would be like LSU and the QB they have now he was a red shirt last year, I think this guy would need a year to set before being SEC ready, just my opinion
]

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

It's been mentioned several times here that A.J. will probably go and the fact he wouldn't be a top pick will not deter that line of thinking. Even a lower round QB will make several hundred thousand a year.

I think he is gone.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

AJ aside, The kid looks like a good ball player, though the video in this thread doesnt show a lot of down field passes. Doesnt get stuck on one option though, and seems pretty dynamic.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

He's passing efficiency is through the roof and he seems like he would be a quality QB but I don't think this indicates that AJ is gone. The coaching staffs' job is to get the best 85 players on the roster to start the season and he could make our QB depth that much better. Doesn't mean AJ is gone but could indicate that the coaching staff is worried that if AJ goes down next year that they might not have enough confidence in the backup running the team at this moment.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012

It's been mentioned several times here that A.J. will probably go and the fact he wouldn't be a top pick will not deter that line of thinking. Even a lower round QB will make several hundred thousand a year.

I think he is gone.
I think a lot of that talk has died down. It doesn't look like AJ's going to leave anymore from what HSV-Tide says.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL

Yeah, AJ hasn't looked like the top notch QB the last month or so. When you are being talked about as a Heisman finalist there is a good reason to leave. All that talk has gone away and there are a lot of good QB's going this year. It will be interesting to see what happens

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

The kid who broke Cam Newtons record. Remember Cam Newton? The one and done phenom that won it all for Auburn? I guess it would be worth a scholarship just to keep Gus Malzahn from getting him! ;)

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

It's been mentioned several times here that A.J. will probably go and the fact he wouldn't be a top pick will not deter that line of thinking.
he's rated the #5 qb right now...that would likely bring him a late first or early second round selection (although depends on how many other juniors come out). Still he'd be a top 3 round choice
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89692&draftyear=2014&genpos=qb

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

I see the Nitters are hammering this kid on twitter....bunch of freaks

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

The only QBs right now prior to the workouts that really look to go in the first round at QB are Barkley and Geno. Landry Jones could work his way in there, but he has to kill at the Combine in all facets. But he's not even guaranteed 2nd round at the moment.

This is a weak class for QB, there's going to be less reaches than many think for that position in the draft.

And those that says they don't think AJ could improve his stock by returning next year...You're wrong.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Someone please explain to me why we would be looking at taking a 3rd qb and a juco at that this late in the recruiting season in this class. Are their problems that we dont know about? Is Ely not serviceable and/or are we maybe losing one of the two that are set to be EE's next month? Is Blake Sims changing positions? Not sure I understand the rationale here.

RTR251

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2011
Mobile, Al

If AJ leaves the QB battle on A-Day will be very interesting.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Someone please explain to me why we would be looking at taking a 3rd qb and a juco at that this late in the recruiting season in this class. Are their problems that we dont know about? Is Ely not serviceable and/or are we maybe losing one of the two that are set to be EE's next month? Is Blake Sims changing positions? Not sure I understand the rationale here.
If AJ decides to leave, and we don't sign a JUCO with some experience, here is what we look like...

Blake Sims - Great runner, serviceable passer. Not a really good fit for our offense.
Phillip Ely - Low upside game manager. A poor man's Greg McElroy, who has more heart than talent. Could we win with him? Yeah...could we win a BCSNC with him? I doubt it.
Alec Morris - No game experience in college, and an unknown commodity. Looked good in HS, but never looked great. Has good size for a QB (6'4) and good arm strength, but lacks mobility and always had a slow release.
Cooper Bateman - Recently got his 5th star by scout, and is their (scout) number 2 qb in the nation. Great size, and unbelievable arm. Slow feet are his only downside. But do you trust your team being led by a TRUE freshman?
Parker Mcleod - Looks like a GMac clone, from his measurables to his fire red hair. Like GMac I would assume he would need a few years behind someone to get ready for the spotlight.

Jake Waters provides game experience, at least, in case of AJ's early departure.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning

Cooper Bateman's feet are far from slow and you may be underselling Morris' ability a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010

slow feet, really. dont want a freshman. well, there is one that just one the heisman.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Cooper Bateman's feet are far from slow

I base that off of the film I have watched (though it is limited I admit), and what recruiting services say about him when I do my research...

and you may be underselling Morris' ability a bit.

I said he's an unproven commodity, with a great size, a great arm, and slow feet... That's almost word for word what you would have seen on any recruiting site. He may be AMAZING, but until we see that...he's an unknown. In high school he looked like he had a lot of room to grow (not physically, as a QB), and hadn't maxed out his potential yet. Until we see how a year under Coach Nuss (who is a QB guru of sorts) has helped him, he is still an enigma.

slow feet, really. dont want a freshman. well, there is one that just one the heisman.
TRUE Freshman, as opposed to REDSHIRT Freshman... there is an ASTRONOMICAL difference... If Bateman had a year in the system, and knew the ins and outs...sure, hand him the ball.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

Hence Morris and why if AJ got hurt it was reported the staff would burn his RS. Bateman would not beat Morris out if AJ leaves. Morris next fall will have 3 semesters under him. Now if AJ stays the following year may be interesting but Morris will be the #2 next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.