JUCO QB Jake Waters commits to Kansas St

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
I pieced it together from Scout and an Andrew Bone tweet. What does this tell us about the QB situation next year?

http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87&p=8&c=1&nid=6498372

3h Andrew Bone ‏@AndrewJBone
JuCo QB who broke Cam Newton's record this year receives visit from #Alabama staff http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1445727 …

Expand

3h Andrew Bone ‏@AndrewJBone
New QB prospect emerges for #CrimsonTide. Find out what all Doug Nussmeier said to him today http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1445727 …

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Re: Jake Waters Juco QB gets Alabama visit

ive been seeing this too, I'm really not sure. It sounds like he's had a pretty good year, broken some of Newton's records at the JUCO ranks, I hear. Could be they just want to get a look at the guy and see if they need to make an offer.

I wondered if this meant AJ may be looking to leave early, but I just can't see how he'd think that was a good idea, He'd have a much better shot at going in the first round by hanging around one more year.

Could mean anything but we NEED qb's so I wouldnt put it past them making the offer.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

I think it is a sign McCarron is going pro. Whether he should or not I don't know but I don't see an upside to staying except for raising his stock draft/money wise and after what has happened to Barkley at USC he may decide to just take his chances. The sooner he gets in a pro system the sooner he gets acclimated to the pro game and if he succeeds his money will increase that way too.

Juco's are for immediate needs so that is what it tells me. Of course I don't know anything. ;)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I think it is a sign McCarron is going pro. Whether he should or not I don't know but I don't see an upside to staying except for raising his stock draft/money wise and after what has happened to Barkley at USC he may decide to just take his chances. The sooner he gets in a pro system the sooner he gets acclimated to the pro game and if he succeeds his money will increase that way too.

Juco's are for immediate needs so that is what it tells me. Of course I don't know anything. ;)
Sure sounds like AJ wants to get paid, doesn't it?

megalurch69

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

This does not mean that Aj is going pro. Has anyone seem our backup Qb's? They are terrible. If Aj were to go down we need a guy that could step in and handle the offense and make throws. Blake Sims can run but he can't consistently throw, Ely is terrible. All this means is we need a viable qb to back up and then possibly take over for Aj

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

This does not mean that Aj is going pro. Has anyone seem our backup Qb's? They are terrible. If Aj were to go down we need a guy that could step in and handle the offense and make throws. Blake Sims can run but he can't consistently throw, Ely is terrible. All this means is we need a viable qb to back up and then possibly take over for Aj[/QUOTE I second that]

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia

Would he be eligible for a red shirt next season and possibly start two years if McCarron stayed.

TLIT

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2011
Central VA

This does not mean that Aj is going pro. Has anyone seem our backup Qb's? They are terrible. If Aj were to go down we need a guy that could step in and handle the offense and make throws. Blake Sims can run but he can't consistently throw, Ely is terrible. All this means is we need a viable qb to back up and then possibly take over for Aj
Seems like a pretty strong, definitive opinion based on a really, really small sample size. Can we pump the brakes on using the "terrible" label on guys who have a combined 14 career passing attempts?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Would he be eligible for a red shirt next season and possibly start two years if McCarron stayed.
Wondering that myself.

Let's assume he signs and AJ stays...

AJ (RS Senior)
Blake Sims (RS Junior)
Phillip Ely (RS Sophomore)
Alec Morris (RS Freshman)
Cooper Bateman (Freshman)
Parker McLeod (Freshman)

Waters redshirts and will be a RS Junior in 2014. With his experience, I would think he would get the starting job. Who knows, though.

Other possible reasons for Nuss visiting:

AJ is leaving, and CNS/Nuss want experience
A backup is leaving, and CNS/Nuss want experience at backup.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

His 247 profile shows his Twitter feed, and I saw some tweets to Bama fans. After looking at his profile, he was not offered yesterday but will know more about his future next week. That makes me believe the coaches are either waiting to see him in person (CNS reportedly doesn't offer QBs without seeing them throw) or the coaches are waiting to hear news about a QB's future.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

This was AJs year to shine with his outstanding OL and running game. Safeties have to cheat up to stop the run. He has had an outstanding college career, but didn't turn into the elite QB most of us hoped he would. With losses on the OL, I don't see AJ improving next season. With four years of college under his belt, it is time to try the NFL. The more important question is what does this say about what is on campus? Doesn't seem to show a lot of confidence in them.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

This was AJs year to shine with his outstanding OL and running game. Safeties have to cheat up to stop the run. He has had an outstanding college career, but didn't turn into the elite QB most of us hoped he would. With losses on the OL, I don't see AJ improving next season. With four years of college under his belt, it is time to try the NFL. The more important question is what does this say about what is on campus? Doesn't seem to show a lot of confidence in them.
Don't know if it says anything about the confidence the coaches have with what we got now and whats coming in but I do think it says they need more development. If they can get a juco that is anywhere near Cam Newton he would be an immediate plug and play for next year if McCarron leaves which seems likely to me.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't think this news is a reason to:

1. Pound on AJ...the most successful qb we've had around here in years
2. Pound on our reserves...only just a few attempts so who knows
3. Pound on some redshirt/recruits

Could it be that this guy could simply be a quality qb that would potentially be a starter or quality backup?

bama70

3rd Team
Oct 19, 2011
NE Alabama

Oh how short are our memories. Remember the void we were expecting when John Parker Wilson finished and we didn't have a proven backup. It seems like 2009 worked out fairly well but of course that is just my opinion.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009

Saw where he would be an EE. Couldn't find anything about redshirting. In the scenario above with no transfers or guys going pro, that would be 7 scholarship QBs on campus. Seems like a lot. Don't know what AJ's thinking is either way, but overall this year is supposed to be a weak draft. That could play into his decision. I haven't really looked at next years draft.

megalurch69

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

If Ely was good do you believe that Blake Sims a former running back would be getting all the back up reps? Just think about it.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Jake Waters Juco QB gets Alabama visit

If AJ plays well against ND and he wins his second straight championship his draft stock may get a boost.
Then again, it might make him want to come back and go for three straight titles, Cooper and the other WRs should make for a good passing year in 2013.

We do need a backup anyway, if this guy looks legit it would be worth it.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

If Ely was good do you believe that Blake Sims a former running back would be getting all the back up reps? Just think about it.
Sims played QB in high school. He started fall camp his Freshman year at QB. Its not like Saban and Nuss just grabbed him out of RB drills one day and threw him behind AJ.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.