Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: How elite would our WR corps be...If Keenan Allen had come to UA (watch teaser)

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Outside of that, though? My post was based on his athletic ability. Obviously, his recruitment changed thoughts on how he would affect the team.
    He also had a handler Saban refused to deal with. In fact, Saban has turned down every player with a handler or one who demanded a "twofer."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement

Re: How elite would our WR corps be...If Keenan Allen had come to UA (watch teaser)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The older Nkemdiche (SP?) looks like he may have been worth it. Kid is good
    Unfortunately, he's one of those late bloomers. He wasn't as highly regarded, coming out of HS. However, at the end, we weren't really even in younger brother's top five, probably because of what he'd been fed about the 3-4...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by HartselleTider View Post
    Allen was recruited here to be safety, but it's difficult to assess exactly where he would end up. The SEC tends to take their best athletes and put them on defense, as opposed to a conference like the Pac-12 who does just the opposite.

Prime example is the Anthony Barr kid for UCLA. They've had this kid stuck at RB his first 2 years there and it was like forcing a square peg in a round hole. He just wasn't supposed to be there.

They finally decided to move him to the defensive side of the ball this year and play some stand-up linebacker just out of desperation.... all he's done is rack up 20 TFL's and 13 sacks, and according to the draft experts, would be a potential top 15 pick if he declares early.

This is a 6'4", 235 pound kid who most coaches in the SEC would've had this kid playing linebacker from the moment he stepped on campus.

I'm not positive, but wasn't Keiwone Malone going to be a CB here? He's playing WR at Memphis.

Keenan may very well have ended up at WR for Bama, but I believe it would've been after a long look on the defensive side first.
    So Derrick Henry is going to play linebacker?

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by thefloydian View Post
    So Derrick Henry is going to play linebacker?

That's not what I'm saying. I don't know what position he's going to play. I don't imagine the coaches do either. They may have an idea, but nothing is ever written in stone.

The key words you're overlooking here is "tends to". In other words, it's a tendency for coaches in the SEC (especially if they're a defensive coach by trade) to prefer their best athletes on defense if it's a fit. It doesn't apply to every player in every case on every team in every circumstance.

Anthony Barr wasn't setting high school rushing records as a tailback like Henry. It didn't take Jim Mora (defensive coach by trade) long to figure out the Barr kid needed a shot on defense after Neuheisel (offensive guy) inexplicably kept him toiling away for 2 years down the depth chart at RB.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Is this the window where I can cash in my 2 KA's for 1 Clowney?

This is interesting that a tenured coach like Tedford at Cal would allow a single player to cost him his job if all this is indeed fact.

I suppose Cal is better off without Tedford if that's the case.
    yeah, it's odd I normally wouldn't believe stuff like this but how else do you explain Tedford's last few years? Guy developed quality QB after QB (including 2 eventual Super Bowl winners) and then Zach Maynard is the best he can do for the last few years? Makes no sense at all....

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

That's not what I'm saying. I don't know what position he's going to play. I don't imagine the coaches do either. They may have an idea, but nothing is ever written in stone.

The key words you're overlooking here is "tends to". In other words, it's a tendency for coaches in the SEC (especially if they're a defensive coach by trade) to prefer their best athletes on defense if it's a fit. It doesn't apply to every player in every case on every team in every circumstance.

Anthony Barr wasn't setting high school rushing records as a tailback like Henry. It didn't take Jim Mora (defensive coach by trade) long to figure out the Barr kid needed a shot on defense after Neuheisel (offensive guy) inexplicably kept him toiling away for 2 years down the depth chart at RB.
    We saw glimpses of it's value, we should name the position Fowler. I believe Henry would be perfect unless he stops doesn't gain anymore weight.

BamaNation All-American

Since when? We're a balanced offense. We throw and run for almost equal yardage, and on Saturday night, we had one receiver who got open with any consistency. Keenan Allen would have been fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    Plenty of WR talent right now. Passing is just not a focus.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

He would have been great but I'm still happy with what we already have, especially Amari Cooper.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Saban saw something in Lester he could develop. After all, he rarely misses on a DB...
    And he ended up playing more than Julio.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    We saw glimpses of it's value, we should name the position Fowler. I believe Henry would be perfect unless he stops doesn't gain anymore weight.

I doubt anybody outside of Knoxville realizes that Tennessee's leading scorer on the ground in terms of rushing TD's isn't even a runningback... Heck, he's not even an offensive player.

Their leading scorer on the ground is also their leading tackler... by a large margin.

A.J. Johnson is a linebacker that leads the Vols with 6 rushing TD's, and was recruited by Kirby to come here and play linebacker. We're going to put an athlete like that on defense if we can help it.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by sanjosecrimson View Post
    no disrespect to the OP, but I have never seen a player that didn't wear Crimson brought up time and time again in the Saban era as Keenan Allen and not just on this board either.

both parties are happy with the end results. I rather here his name on Sundays from now on.
    Duron Carter laughs at Keenan Allen threads.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

I think Cooper is outstanding and Norwood, Bell, and Christion Jones don't get near enough credit. I have no idea what would have happened IF Keenan Allen had come to Bama but I'm totally happy with our receiving corps exactly as it is.