Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Recipes
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

The current and foreseeable state of our two biggest rivals. Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...-drawing-board

Just read this article from Chris Low on espn.com and considering Auburn's situation and now what seems to be a growing situation for Tennessee, in just trying to find someone to take the job. It got me thinking, are we seeing the beginning of a long downturn in the "health"/stability/success of both of these programs?

Auburn: I don't need to go into all the details of what's going on down there. They've been hashed and re-hashed on this board for over a year now. Their program appears to be in a very unstable and chaotic state right now. As Jess pointed out in his latest article, there are absolutely NO signs of Auburn slowing down the recruiting machine in Tuscaloosa to allow them to close the obvious gap that Bama has created.

Tennessee: They seem to have good talent sprinkled throughout the roster but no depth and absolutely no vision or leadership on where the program is going. It looks like that perception has filtered out into the coaching market as well. Will they have to "settle" and bring in a coach that will continue the trend they've been on for the last three to four years?

Any thinkers on the board this morning with some opinions?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement

Re: The current and foreseeable state of our two biggest rivals. Thoughts?

Outsiders perspective - either program is stong enough to quickly rebound if they find the right coach, but both are under the scrutiny of the NCAA right now, so neither will attract a really talented coach until that is behind them. Ask again in two years, after all of the NCAA fallout is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Outsiders perspective - either program is stong enough to quickly rebound if they find the right coach, but both are under the scrutiny of the NCAA right now, so neither will attract a really talented coach until that is behind them. Ask again in two years, after all of the NCAA fallout is clear.
    utk has a better opportunity to rebound quickly...given they are able to get a competent leader. They have the players along with overall numbers. The barn however, I do not see recovering any time soon. Their numbers are down. Their talent is down. It will take a long time to get back close to 85 scholarshipped players...and that doesn't include any sanctions that may happen. The exodus that has been the last 3 years has gutted the program and with the signing limitations...will take a while. Throw on top of that...the PTB have made it clear...they wanted another "yes man" and got him. SNASS.

BamaNation First Team fralo4tide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    ...are we seeing the beginning of a long downturn in the "health"/stability/success of both of these programs?
    Hey, you been peepin' at my Christmas wishlist!

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

The note about the Vols winning the national title with players from other states might be the most important line in that article. What was going on that enabled this?

Alabama on probation, 1995-97
    Auburn on probation, 1993-95
    Georgia imploding under Donnan
    Kentucky coached by Bill Curry until 1996
    Ole Miss on probation, 1994-98
    Arkansas not yet built, Ford fired 1997

Their title was strictly due to the mess that was the SEC back then. They could grab players from the twin states with the probation card - that's also why MSU was so good from 1997-2000 (along with their money payment system through a church in Starkville - yes, that's true).

I don't know if Tennessee can ever be a power again. The game of recruiting has changed so much that it can only be harder.

As far as Auburn, they will always have an inferiority complex and be looking up at Alabama - this leads to insanity and ridiculous decisions.
    :13

I will give a quote from Rocky III when Clubber Lang was asked his prediction for the fight. "What's my prediction? P A I N !"

I just wonder how Mr. Hart is feeling about now: no Gundy, no Strong, et al. Who's left? Jones from Cincinnati? Kirby from Alabama?

What does this say about the program at Tennessee? What does it say about Hart? Maybe they could hire Trooper.

I guess sometimes you can luck out with a non-hire like us with Rich Rod. Is it time for them to make an investment like Alabama did? Maybe Harbaugh? That would cost them big time. I do honestly think that Jones from Cincy would be a good hire. He has won everywhere he's been. If he does go to Colorado, I really feel for him.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Sounds like an answer my magic 8-ball would have given - LOL
    Seriously, though, it's not far off the mark. But I am not sure the "clearing" of the NCAA fallout will help the barners, simply because of who runs the show on the plain (Chicklets came in before any NCAA mess).
    As for Sloppy Top, their issues run much deeper...into their bank account. They have serious financial issues, and that program may be an under-performer for years to come. No proven HC will go there, unless the money is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...-drawing-board

Just read this article from Chris Low on espn.com and considering Auburn's situation and now what seems to be a growing situation for Tennessee, in just trying to find someone to take the job. It got me thinking, are we seeing the beginning of a long downturn in the "health"/stability/success of both of these programs?

Auburn: I don't need to go into all the details of what's going on down there. They've been hashed and re-hashed on this board for over a year now. Their program appears to be in a very unstable and chaotic state right now. As Jess pointed out in his latest article, there are absolutely NO signs of Auburn slowing down the recruiting machine in Tuscaloosa to allow them to close the obvious gap that Bama has created.

Tennessee: They seem to have good talent sprinkled throughout the roster but no depth and absolutely no vision or leadership on where the program is going. It looks like that perception has filtered out into the coaching market as well. Will they have to "settle" and bring in a coach that will continue the trend they've been on for the last three to four years?

Any thinkers on the board this morning with some opinions?
    I truly believe utk will be ok. I was worried about Bama for about 5 years after the Coach Dubose debacle. Wondering if we would ever get back to where we normally are, took a while. Utk is also a proud program and will bounce back. The barn is another story.
    Roll Tide

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    I just wonder how Mr. Hart is feeling about now: no Gundy, no Strong, et al. Who's left? Jones from Cincinnati? Kirby from Alabama?
    Kirby declined to even interview with them

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't think Auburn is in as bad of a situation as we'd like to believe. Of course, this is all contingent on the validity of the NCAA-related rumors. They'll have a difficult offense to prepare against and apparently they have just inked Ellis Johnson to a deal. Coach Johnson always get a good pass rush out of his down four and I think that is the kind of defense you have to play with this kind of tempo offense. You can't plan on outright stopping teams because of the time on the field, but you can eventually get the opponent pressing for points and get sacks to seal the game.

If the NCAA rumors turn out mild or non-existent, I think Auburn is going to solidify themselves at the second tier with TAMU in the West behind LSU and Alabama.

My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

I laugh everytime I read about ole' gus malzhan's offense. Let's see 8-5 2 years and they almost lost 4-5 games with a once in a lifetime qb the year they bought the title. Discipline? Yeah let's see, I'll take spice smoking, gun loaning, Mike Dyer with me to Ar St.

UcheaT deserves everything they get and MORE

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

It's not good.

As someone else stated, the dynamics have changed. For Tennessee, they must go out of state. With such stable situations at Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina, they are truly behind the 8-ball in recruiting. Tennessee's program reminds me of the housing bubble. Everything got inflated and now its crashed. I don't see it coming back any time soon.

Auburn is in a similar boat with regards to recruiting. Everyone around them is stable and they are second fiddle to all of those schools. They have to cut corners where they can and that's not easy to do. We'll see how Malzahn handles it but I can't see them rebounding any time soon.