Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The current and foreseeable state of our two biggest rivals. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I don't know if Tennessee can ever be a power again. The game of recruiting has changed so much that it can only be harder.
    Great points. Also, don't forget Rodney Garner. He was UT's key for Georgia talent and once Mark Richt hired him away, it pretty much cut of UT's oxygen.

It will take exceptional circumstances for UT to ever be a power again. The state has very little talent so it will require a coach that can recruit nationally. Somehow Fulmer was able to do this for a while, but like you said, the rest of the SEC being crippled really helped with that.

Auburn will always have access to a significant share of Alabama, & Georgia talent - UT does not.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; December 6th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The changes in recruiting rules to curb Saban - the school contact rules - really hurt Tennessee more than Saban I believe.

Tennessee use to put boots on the ground at high schools across the nation and especially on the West coast and upper Eastern seaboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Apprehensive on TideFans.com

I'll also say this about au: I think folks pretty much were starting to figure out malzhaun in that 3rd year. When you have Saban and Smart, Miles and Chevis, Will Muschamp etc. you don't "trick" your way to wins nearly as much. Sound fundamentals and talent win, not just a system.

BamaNation First Team lincoln_osiris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

I think the state of affairs within the entire athletic department at UT is gonna take a minute to get over. Auburn is probably in a better position, pending NCAA decisions. Gus would have to be way better than I think he is, but they get talent and with a great coach, Could turn it around quickly. Freshman have a lot more impact these days than they used to, and a couple good classes can put you right in the mix if the talent is developed. Lots of "ifs", huh?
    I'm a lead farmer

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Tennessee use to put boots on the ground at high schools across the nation and especially on the West coast and upper Eastern seaboard.
    That's a good point. Southern Cal's resurgance also seemed to cut off a lot of talent from UT. If Notre Dame gets their national recruiting going in full force again, that will hurt UT's efforts in the west coast and northeast.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question BB. au, while down on numbers, has more talent than UT. The return of Malzahn with the spread type players already on campus should get au back in the 7 to 8 win seasons fairly quickly. The key to au's return will rest with the defense and they have made a horrible hire to coordinate the defense. With the emergence of TAMU and possibly a new and improved Arkansas in a couple of years, au will settle into the slot right above the Mississippi schools battling with Arky.

UT, IMO has a much tougher mountain to climb. They have no coach and have no identity at this point. They can still recruit the southeast, but as mentioned, the rise of certain schools, USC, UGA and UF has cut those pipelines down to a trickle. Of all the SEC schools looking to re-tool its program UT is in the worst position.

* I would add that au's return to respecatability in the W-L column could be derailed if the NCAA decides to do something which is highly doubtful.
    Last edited by GrayTide; December 6th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    I'll also say this about au: I think folks pretty much were starting to figure out malzhaun in that 3rd year. When you have Saban and Smart, Miles and Chevis, Will Muschamp etc. you don't "trick" your way to wins nearly as much. Sound fundamentals and talent win, not just a system.
    Bingo. An offense like Gus runs always does better the 1st couple of years when teams have not adjusted to it. I'm not worried about Gus at all unless he finds the next Cam which is unlikely. Even if they do get an elite QB, we still know how to defend his offense. It took pretty much the luckiest breaks ever in a football game for Cam to beat us and we adjusted to A&M after the 1st quarter. It's not like we we've been dominated for 4 quarters by the spread, even with great qb's.

For *U, a lot hinges on possible sanctions. Right now *U is effectively on probation already with them not being able to keep guys on the roster. Add sanctions to that and it will be ugly-not just in numbers but the quality of recruits they can hope to get. If the NCAA gives them yet another pass it will be easier to get their numbers up but very hard to consistently recruit elite defensive players over time. Without Trooper, how can *U hope to keep up and take the majority of big name players in state going against Saban? They've got a lot of ground to make up as is to get anywhere near our level of talent & depth. It didn't work using Trooper and realistically what are their chances recruiting against us straight up over the next 2-3 years? Of course, it's auburn so they must have something underhanded planned to try stay with us.

BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The note about the Vols winning the national title with players from other states might be the most important line in that article. What was going on that enabled this?

Alabama on probation, 1995-97
    Auburn on probation, 1993-95
    Georgia imploding under Donnan
    Kentucky coached by Bill Curry until 1996
    Ole Miss on probation, 1994-98
    Arkansas not yet built, Ford fired 1997

Their title was strictly due to the mess that was the SEC back then. They could grab players from the twin states with the probation card - that's also why MSU was so good from 1997-2000 (along with their money payment system through a church in Starkville - yes, that's true).

I don't know if Tennessee can ever be a power again. The game of recruiting has changed so much that it can only be harder.

As far as Auburn, they will always have an inferiority complex and be looking up at Alabama - this leads to insanity and ridiculous decisions.
    Good post and i agree with you about tenn. Back in the 90,s they used to get so much of the talent in our state. Guys like jamal russell (atlanta)who were such a big part of the one accomplishment theyve had over the past 12/13 yrs. Since than things have changed in the s.e.c. I really dont think they will be able to recruit anywhere near as strongly as they did under colonel lard(fulmer) back in the nineties. They will probably try to purchase a national or sec title much the same way auburn did back in 2010.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Tennessee wil get the best coach out of the 4 SEC schools that were looking for coaches. I just think people are putting a time limit since all three got a coach and tennessee hasnt. Tennessee is searching for someone who can recruit wheras the others were looking for any1 they could get with a name. There are still good coaches out there and I honestly beleive tennesee will get one of them. Its not uncommon for long drawn out coaching searsches case and point us. Gus wont cut at The Barn and Bilema wont get anything started until 3 years from now and that isnt a guarentee with the west closing in on arkansas in recruiting. come on the guy got mad at Meyer for his SEC type of recruiting.
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    It's not good.

As someone else stated, the dynamics have changed. For Tennessee, they must go out of state. With such stable situations at Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina, they are truly behind the 8-ball in recruiting. Tennessee's program reminds me of the housing bubble. Everything got inflated and now its crashed. I don't see it coming back any time soon.

Auburn is in a similar boat with regards to recruiting. Everyone around them is stable and they are second fiddle to all of those schools. They have to cut corners where they can and that's not easy to do. We'll see how Malzahn handles it but I can't see them rebounding any time soon.
    With a pinched pocket book from paying off coaches at Auburn, they might not have enough money to buy another SCAM.
    Tennessee has financial problems. You can't trust what that ole rascal 'The Tenn.Stud' sez...
    I think Tn. is in a world of hurt.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

I think we're in the beginning of, and I'm looking forward to, a run like the one I grew up with in the seventies.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson