Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: "Gus Malzahn hires Ellis Johnson as defensive coordinator"

Former Saban DC Kevin Steele went to Clemson.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team graydogg85's Avatar

Not a world-class DC hire, but should be a vast improvement over the last four years IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    He coached at South Carolina, not Clemson.
    EJ was DC @ Clemson in 95-96.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation First Team Huckleberry's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Average coach, decent recruiter. He'll probably give his fellow low and mid-level SEC teams a measure of trouble. Not a scary hire for Alabama or LSU, though. There's no need for him to worry about making sure the barn has his correct ring size.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I read something on another board written by a Southern Miss fan. He had three years left on his contract and was owed $2.1 million. But by his contract, they had to pay him the whole thing right away and they do not get a "discount" from whatever he makes at the Barn, like the deal is with Chizik.

Either Southern Miss is very stupid or his agent is a genius.
    That's pretty common for head coach's contracts in D1 football. With Mississippi being a right to work state, without the contract they could have fired him for no reason at all and not owed him a penny. I don't know of many decent coaches that would take a head coaching gig in a right to work state without a clause like their contract.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    Gus adds another former Bama coach to his coaching staff..Charlie Harbison joins the "Gus Bus"..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
    Not a bad hire. He was on CNS's staff at LSU, but was not retained when CNS came to Alabama went to MSU as I recall. Clemson's secondary was torched big time in the Orange bowl by WVU. Doesn't have much to work with at au.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    That's pretty common for head coach's contracts in D1 football. With Mississippi being a right to work state, without the contract they could have fired him for no reason at all and not owed him a penny. I don't know of many decent coaches that would take a head coaching gig in a right to work state without a clause like their contract.
    You missed my point. Chizik is guarenteed his buyout from API, but if he gets another job, the buyout is reduced by his new salary. So if he's getting $2.5 million a year from his buyout and gets a job paying a million dollars a year, the Barn only has to pay him $1.5 million. Shula had the same deal when he got fired here.

Johnson's deal says he gets the buyout and is not reduced by any new employment. So he gets the full amount of his buyout and his salary from his new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    Kinda makes you wonder how it got called "right to work" but I'm not sure how that matters. Every coach has a contract, so they couldn't be fired for no reason at all... unless the contract stipulated "my employer may fire me for no reason at all."

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    Kinda makes you wonder how it got called "right to work" but I'm not sure how that matters.
    I won't comment further since any discussion of it would probably be seen as political... but as I understand it the "right to work" park gives non-union workers a right to be employed even if they don't join a union. In other states, you do not have this right to work and you can either be drafted into a union or refused a job if you don't agree to union membership.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He's an above average DC. They certainly could've done worse, but Johnson alone won't change the trajectory at Barn much. Lack of talent, no culture of discipline from the top, very little accountability, and not following NCAA rules are the biggest issues down there.
    Defense STILL wins championships. RTR!!!