"Gus Malzahn hires Ellis Johnson as defensive coordinator"

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That is one of the reasons I cannot stand him. Seems like his lawsuit was for wrongful termination when he and the rest of Dubose's assistant were axed to leave. IIRC he and Dubose were roommates as assistants at USM. I am ecstatic about him being au's DC.
I'm with Gray on this one, this is good for us. At best, EJ was a decent position coach under Bill Oliver and really hasn't done anything since then. USC would have had a good D with or without him with the way Spurrier is recruiting that state. After we lay 40 on them again next season look for him to bounce over to his next job....

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Reading about his hire I saw where the other Chizik assistant coaches were told they would not be rehired. Are there any exclusions to that? As in Trooper?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I read something on another board written by a Southern Miss fan. He had three years left on his contract and was owed $2.1 million. But by his contract, they had to pay him the whole thing right away and they do not get a "discount" from whatever he makes at the Barn, like the deal is with Chizik.

Either Southern Miss is very stupid or his agent is a genius.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
I read something on another board written by a Southern Miss fan. He had three years left on his contract and was owed $2.1 million. But by his contract, they had to pay him the whole thing right away and they do not get a "discount" from whatever he makes at the Barn, like the deal is with Chizik.

Both

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Average coach, decent recruiter. He'll probably give his fellow low and mid-level SEC teams a measure of trouble. Not a scary hire for Alabama or LSU, though. There's no need for him to worry about making sure the barn has his correct ring size.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA

That's pretty common for head coach's contracts in D1 football. With Mississippi being a right to work state, without the contract they could have fired him for no reason at all and not owed him a penny. I don't know of many decent coaches that would take a head coaching gig in a right to work state without a clause like their contract.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Gus adds another former Bama coach to his coaching staff..Charlie Harbison joins the "Gus Bus"..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
Not a bad hire. He was on CNS's staff at LSU, but was not retained when CNS came to Alabama went to MSU as I recall. Clemson's secondary was torched big time in the Orange bowl by WVU. Doesn't have much to work with at au.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That's pretty common for head coach's contracts in D1 football. With Mississippi being a right to work state, without the contract they could have fired him for no reason at all and not owed him a penny. I don't know of many decent coaches that would take a head coaching gig in a right to work state without a clause like their contract.
You missed my point. Chizik is guarenteed his buyout from API, but if he gets another job, the buyout is reduced by his new salary. So if he's getting $2.5 million a year from his buyout and gets a job paying a million dollars a year, the Barn only has to pay him $1.5 million. Shula had the same deal when he got fired here.

Johnson's deal says he gets the buyout and is not reduced by any new employment. So he gets the full amount of his buyout and his salary from his new job.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Kinda makes you wonder how it got called "right to work" but I'm not sure how that matters. Every coach has a contract, so they couldn't be fired for no reason at all... unless the contract stipulated "my employer may fire me for no reason at all."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.