Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Joe Schad - TENN now interested in Kirby Smart

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    To me, Jones is an unknown, because his two jobs have both followed Brian Kelly who left both programs in great shape. He has spent three years at each of two schools. He's done fine, but if I'm Tennessee, I wouldn't hire him. I would want to see more. Not to mention that aside from Cincinnati, he has only coached for two years at a BCS School, even as an assistant - two years at West Virginia. For full disclosure, let me also say that I have never watched a Butch Jones team actually play a game.

Now, among those three, he still might be the best option, but I just wonder what is holding UT back.

They have talent. They have facilities. They have a strong fanbase. They are in the SEC, but they are also in the East, which would be the easier division to win. I don't know. I just think that there would be plenty of solid candidates interested in the UT job.

I know he won't go there, but I think Gary Patterson would do great at UT, and it would be a good fit.
    Agreed on them having good facilities and a strong fanbase but their talent level is nowhere close to what it was during Fulmer's heyday. Plus you have to pretty much count on Tyler Bray, Corderrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter all going to the NFL after this season is over. Those are their best players on either side of the ball. Whoever takes the Tennessee job has some rebuilding to do. Not quite as bad as what it was when Dooley took over but still a big time challenge.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Hope Kirby stays. Supposedly, Tenn. has been talking to Rich Rod.

BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by MBA_99 View Post
    LOL, I daresay most of us do not pull in $2M a year, and would take such a job just for the salary, and probably millions in buyout after we failed. I would especially do that at a school I want to lose! My first acts would be to put beer taps in the weight room and create a public website offering cash to prospects.
    I don't know...I think if I had that job, I'd try my hardest to beat Bama for the 1 year I was there before being fired (IF I made it to the Bama game before being fired). It would be an amazing experience in my life to tell my kids/grandkids (if I ever have them) that I went 1-11, but I beat one of the greatest coaches to ever step onto the field.

I would then retire and spend all of my Saturdays in the fall going to Bama games, and the rest of them I would spend fishing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    Agreed on them having good facilities and a strong fanbase but their talent level is nowhere close to what it was during Fulmer's heyday. Plus you have to pretty much count on Tyler Bray, Corderrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter all going to the NFL after this season is over. Those are their best players on either side of the ball. Whoever takes the Tennessee job has some rebuilding to do. Not quite as bad as what it was when Dooley took over but still a big time challenge.
    Of course it is not where it was when Fulmer was there, but it is much better than Auburn and better than Arkansas.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Joe Schad - TENN now interested in Kirby Smart

Is it possible they overreached with the Gruden deal (assuming there was anything to that) now are having to regroup - late to the party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I really do not understand Dave Hart not going after Franklin in Nashville.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

I wish Kirby Smart well, no matter what he decides. I just don't like the potential for major distractions during Alabama's preparation for January 7th.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I read somewhere that Smart was still out recruiting for Alabama today. That would seem to indicate that he is staying put.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    I wish Kirby Smart well, no matter what he decides. I just don't like the potential for major distractions during Alabama's preparation for January 7th.
    I'm in total agreement. All Coaches and players need to be focused on the task at hand.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I read somewhere that Smart was still out recruiting for Alabama today. That would seem to indicate that he is staying put.
    He was in Prattville today recruiting.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    I'm in total agreement. All Coaches and players need to be focused on the task at hand.
    Jim McElwain had already accepted the Colorado State job before the national championship game last year and he called a magnificent game on offense. It certainly didn't distract him. Notre Dame's defensive coordinator has also been out interviewing for jobs so it's not like it's just Bama's coaches.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Butch Davis is the best coach for winning games out there, but he might have picked the wrong school to go hog wild with. He may be blackballed like Petrino.
    Butch Davis has a show cause attached to his name now. Any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA and plead their case. With all the trouble that UT has had recently, do you really think they want to tangle with NCAA to hire him?
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Joe Schad - TENN now interested in Kirby Smart

I am surprised Tressel hasn't come up again. His show cause is not all that severe.

But the COI blew it in Tressel's case. The committee gave Tressel a five year show-cause, but the penalty only has teeth for the first five weeks of Tressel's first season, when he must miss games. He also must miss that season's bowl game. Tom, I saw your team on TV this season. We could reanimate Vince Lombardi, put him on your sideline and your team might not make a bowl game in 2012. So Tressel's postseason ban is essentially meaningless in your case. Basically, you can get one of the best coaches in the history of the game, and all it will cost you is five games and a progress report submitted to the NCAA every six months. Tressel can still recruit. He can still hire a staff. All he has to do is sit out five weeks of meetings, practices and games.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2EJrPEzii

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk