Joe Schad - TENN now interested in Kirby Smart

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
TN seems to have the same things going against them that Auburn has. Given the notion that Smart turned down Auburn, would he consider TN?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
TN is a better job, but didn't they get burned a bit by taking a Saban guy with limited head coaching experience? No offense to Smart of course, but I'd think they would want to try something different.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I know it's not the case with coaches but how would you feel being offered a job you knew numerous people had already declined? I always prefer to be the first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
espn reported that so far gruden, fedora, gundy, and strong have turned them down and their next batch of interviews will be pellini (nebraska), smart, and butch jones. with such a publicly conducted search why would smart even interview knowing he was, at best, their #5 candidate?

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
espn reported that so far gruden, fedora, gundy, and strong have turned them down and their next batch of interviews will be pellini (nebraska), smart, and butch jones. with such a publicly conducted search why would smart even interview knowing he was, at best, their #5 candidate?
Because it has the potential to be a very good job. It doesn't matter if you're the 5th choice if you still get the job. It's what you do with it that matters. I was afraid they might start calling CKS, because it's enough of a high-level job to take it. If he gets offered, it wouldn't be a bad decision to take it. Yes, it is one of our main rivals, but that might mean a lot less to a UGA grad than it does to us.

Call me crazy, but if I get a phone call for an offer to coach UT, I'd take it. I probably couldn't even draw up a fullback dive out of I formation without missing some major points. I live in TN and despise that shade of orange (or pretty much any shade of orange, but anyway). But I would be thrilled to be their 8,204th pick given the resources they have.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Pretend you just interviewed for a job that you really wanted at a Fortune 500 company. Let's say you finally hear back from them and they come through with an offer that has a 100% increase in salary over your current job. Let's say you also know that you weren't the first person they offered the job to, would you still take it?

Who wouldn't?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've said it ad nauseum and I'll say it again - go OUTSIDE the SEC, take your lumps, make your mistakes, THEN come in and do your thing.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I've said it ad nauseum and I'll say it again - go OUTSIDE the SEC, take your lumps, make your mistakes, THEN come in and do your thing.
He won't have to, especially if Muchamp and Fisher continue to perform well. Unless he just wants to be a head coach and is unhappy as a Bama DC at 36.

A good example, Auburn would have taken Coach Smart over Malzahn.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
If Coach Smart had interest in the AU job, he'd certainly be interested in this one. UT is the better job as it doesn't have the black cloud of NCAA current investigations surrounding it.....It's an SEC job, the Eastern Division, good facilities, a winning program, etc... etc..... It wouldn't be a good business decision to not to at least see what it's all about.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I refuse to link to him or quote him directly, but Ol Tennstud says that UT wants Kirby as DC and Petrino as OC, with both getting multiple year deals at $1.7 mil.

He says the next head coach is the old head coach. No, the old old one: Phatimus.
Well that is the most presumptuous thing I have heard - well they thought they would land Gruden so maybe not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I refuse to link to him or quote him directly, but Ol Tennstud says that UT wants Kirby as DC and Petrino as OC, with both getting multiple year deals at $1.7 mil.

He says the next head coach is the old head coach. No, the old old one: Phatimus.
LOL.

We'll pay CKS whatever someone else will for the same position, if we even have to.

Fulmer on the sidelines is the stuff of dreams...

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
LOL.

We'll pay CKS whatever someone else will for the same position, if we even have to.

Fulmer on the sidelines is the stuff of dreams...
That was precisely my reaction as well.

I could see BP taking the OC position out of sheer desperation. I could also see them trying to resurrect Phatimus for a year or two. But to seriously believe that KS would take a lateral move (at best) for a little more money is pyschotic.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Of the last 3 names mentioned, Jones, Smart, and Pellini to me it is a no brainer. Jones has been a heckuva of a coach at every stop he has made. He should be able to recruit Ohio, PA etc plus the southeast, but it will take awhile. I really don't know about Smart, tough position to be put in with no HC experience. Pellini, like Bielema, may see the handwriting on the wall in the Big 10 that Meyer and Hoke maybe getting those programs back to historical highs. I just have never been bowled over by Pellini as the head man at Nebraska.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.