Joe Schad - TENN now interested in Kirby Smart

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
LOL, I daresay most of us do not pull in $2M a year, and would take such a job just for the salary, and probably millions in buyout after we failed. I would especially do that at a school I want to lose! My first acts would be to put beer taps in the weight room and create a public website offering cash to prospects.
I don't know...I think if I had that job, I'd try my hardest to beat Bama for the 1 year I was there before being fired (IF I made it to the Bama game before being fired). It would be an amazing experience in my life to tell my kids/grandkids (if I ever have them) that I went 1-11, but I beat one of the greatest coaches to ever step onto the field.

I would then retire and spend all of my Saturdays in the fall going to Bama games, and the rest of them I would spend fishing.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Agreed on them having good facilities and a strong fanbase but their talent level is nowhere close to what it was during Fulmer's heyday. Plus you have to pretty much count on Tyler Bray, Corderrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter all going to the NFL after this season is over. Those are their best players on either side of the ball. Whoever takes the Tennessee job has some rebuilding to do. Not quite as bad as what it was when Dooley took over but still a big time challenge.
Of course it is not where it was when Fulmer was there, but it is much better than Auburn and better than Arkansas.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Is it possible they overreached with the Gruden deal (assuming there was anything to that) now are having to regroup - late to the party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I read somewhere that Smart was still out recruiting for Alabama today. That would seem to indicate that he is staying put.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I wish Kirby Smart well, no matter what he decides. I just don't like the potential for major distractions during Alabama's preparation for January 7th.
I'm in total agreement. All Coaches and players need to be focused on the task at hand.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I'm in total agreement. All Coaches and players need to be focused on the task at hand.
Jim McElwain had already accepted the Colorado State job before the national championship game last year and he called a magnificent game on offense. It certainly didn't distract him. Notre Dame's defensive coordinator has also been out interviewing for jobs so it's not like it's just Bama's coaches.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Butch Davis is the best coach for winning games out there, but he might have picked the wrong school to go hog wild with. He may be blackballed like Petrino.
Butch Davis has a show cause attached to his name now. Any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA and plead their case. With all the trouble that UT has had recently, do you really think they want to tangle with NCAA to hire him?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I am surprised Tressel hasn't come up again. His show cause is not all that severe.

But the COI blew it in Tressel's case. The committee gave Tressel a five year show-cause, but the penalty only has teeth for the first five weeks of Tressel's first season, when he must miss games. He also must miss that season's bowl game. Tom, I saw your team on TV this season. We could reanimate Vince Lombardi, put him on your sideline and your team might not make a bowl game in 2012. So Tressel's postseason ban is essentially meaningless in your case. Basically, you can get one of the best coaches in the history of the game, and all it will cost you is five games and a progress report submitted to the NCAA every six months. Tressel can still recruit. He can still hire a staff. All he has to do is sit out five weeks of meetings, practices and games.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...state-ncaa-sanctions/index.html#ixzz2EJrPEzii

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Butch Davis has a show cause attached to his name now. Any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA and plead their case. With all the trouble that UT has had recently, do you really think they want to tangle with NCAA to hire him?
Sun-Sentinel article says Butch Davis does NOT have a show cause with NCAA. They also paint a harsher picture of the Tressel show cause than Staples and Mandel in the SI article

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20..._head-coach-fiu-athletic-director-pete-garcia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Butch Davis doesn't have a show cause penalty because he was never cited in ANY on the UNC violations, and was only let go because they wanted a "clean slate" to start over with....

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
Imo tenn made a big mistake letting d.dooley go. However,its a mistake im glad they made. I think given two more seasons to get a foundation in place he couldve made tenn relevant again. Of all the fanbases in the sec theirs is the most impatient of all. For some reason the majority of their fanbase believe they can hire somebody,the new guy come in and wave a magic wand and presto,their playing in the dome at the end of the year. It just doesnt work that way. Especially in this conference. If you think about it tenn gonna have real tough road back to competing. With the lack of high school talent in state,tennessee has usually had to recruit heavily in not only other parts of the southeast but nationally as well. With coach saban at alabama,muschamp and coach richt all doing excellent jobs of keeping players at home its gonna be real tough for them to reach across state lines and get the type of talent(especially defensively)that theyre gonna need to compete. Personally i hope they never see another winning season. Im sure you you guys feel the same way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.