Joe Schad - TENN now interested in Kirby Smart

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider I refuse to link to him or quote him directly, but Ol Tennstud says that UT wants Kirby as DC and Petrino as OC, with both getting multiple year deals at $1.7 mil.

He says the next head coach is the old head coach. No, the old old one: Phatimus.

Well that is the most presumptuous thing I have heard - well they thought they would land Gruden so maybe not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And whomever said it is most likely pretentious.:cool:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
It's called "opportunity"....Tennessee has a better tradition than the barn, I'm just not sure their pockets are as deep...

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Of the last 3 names mentioned, Jones, Smart, and Pellini to me it is a no brainer. Jones has been a heckuva of a coach at every stop he has made.
To me, Jones is an unknown, because his two jobs have both followed Brian Kelly who left both programs in great shape. He has spent three years at each of two schools. He's done fine, but if I'm Tennessee, I wouldn't hire him. I would want to see more. Not to mention that aside from Cincinnati, he has only coached for two years at a BCS School, even as an assistant - two years at West Virginia. For full disclosure, let me also say that I have never watched a Butch Jones team actually play a game.

Now, among those three, he still might be the best option, but I just wonder what is holding UT back.

They have talent. They have facilities. They have a strong fanbase. They are in the SEC, but they are also in the East, which would be the easier division to win. I don't know. I just think that there would be plenty of solid candidates interested in the UT job.

I know he won't go there, but I think Gary Patterson would do great at UT, and it would be a good fit.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Butch Davis is the best coach for winning games out there, but he might have picked the wrong school to go hog wild with. He may be blackballed like Petrino.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Call me crazy, but if I get a phone call for an offer to coach UT, I'd take it. I probably couldn't even draw up a fullback dive out of I formation without missing some major points. I live in TN and despise that shade of orange (or pretty much any shade of orange, but anyway). But I would be thrilled to be their 8,204th pick given the resources they have.
LOL, I daresay most of us do not pull in $2M a year, and would take such a job just for the salary, and probably millions in buyout after we failed. I would especially do that at a school I want to lose! My first acts would be to put beer taps in the weight room and create a public website offering cash to prospects.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
There are big steps in sports ... from the bullpen to the pitcher's mound, from the practice tee to the first tee, and from the successful football assistant to the top guy.

In my opinion, Kirby has to leave to come back. He has to show that he can run The Show. Unless CNS decides to give Sunday afternoons another shot, he's not going anywhere for a good, long while. And I doubt Alabama will commit now or ever to turn over all that Saban has built to a lifelong assistant, even one as talented as Kirby.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
To me, Jones is an unknown, because his two jobs have both followed Brian Kelly who left both programs in great shape. He has spent three years at each of two schools. He's done fine, but if I'm Tennessee, I wouldn't hire him. I would want to see more. Not to mention that aside from Cincinnati, he has only coached for two years at a BCS School, even as an assistant - two years at West Virginia. For full disclosure, let me also say that I have never watched a Butch Jones team actually play a game.

Now, among those three, he still might be the best option, but I just wonder what is holding UT back.

They have talent. They have facilities. They have a strong fanbase. They are in the SEC, but they are also in the East, which would be the easier division to win. I don't know. I just think that there would be plenty of solid candidates interested in the UT job.

I know he won't go there, but I think Gary Patterson would do great at UT, and it would be a good fit.
Agreed on them having good facilities and a strong fanbase but their talent level is nowhere close to what it was during Fulmer's heyday. Plus you have to pretty much count on Tyler Bray, Corderrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter all going to the NFL after this season is over. Those are their best players on either side of the ball. Whoever takes the Tennessee job has some rebuilding to do. Not quite as bad as what it was when Dooley took over but still a big time challenge.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.