Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bobby Petrino washed up with the big jobs?

Petrino is most likely through in the SEC. I honestly though au would hire him, desperate times down on the plains; I was wrong on that one. He will resurface in the next few years somewhere outside the south.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC tidefanbeezer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    I'm no big Butch supporter but how did he screw up Miami? Even what he left made Larry Coker LOOK GOOD so how did he screw them over? He left them loaded. Now I'll agree he left UNC in a mess but CERTAINLY not Miami.
    Good catch. Brain fart on my part. I was thinking he left with UM on probation, but he took over with UM on probation.

I still think winning will make folks overlook Petrino's baggage.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidefanbeezer View Post
    Good catch. Brain fart on my part. I was thinking he left with UM on probation, but he took over with UM on probation.

I still think winning will make folks overlook Petrino's baggage.
    Hey I do it all the time, was just making sure I didn't miss something

But yes he took them over in a bad situation IIRC, and put some discipline, etc. into the program for a change that seemed to have been totally dropped by Coker of course.....lol. Butch then seemed to totally fall apart at UNC where all he had to do was rebuild and not even have to worry about the trouble makers.

On Petrino I agree. I would not be surprised to see USM take a splash and offer him right away. I would.

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'd love to see Petrino at Southern Miss. He would make that program better, which could hurt Ole Miss and Mississippi State, which would help us.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I agree. I think he could do very well there.

I still say as well someone halfway decent gives him a shot. Anyone can load a contract up with "behavior clauses" that will force him to act right. If wifey is ready to go to bat for him things must be well in the Petrino house as well. I doubt he is THAT stupid to pull a stunt like this again. I still say the barn would have been better off with him than the "Gus Bust"

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

He has even reached out to Arkansas St. and the brass there are unlikely to give him a look. stAte has some returning talent on offense and the QB taking over for the Alpin kid will excel in the Sunbelt.

So has Houston Nutt.

Never mind they ran his brother Dickey out of town a few years ago after he tanked as the hoops head man.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonTheory's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Nerdy on TideFans.com

Auburn wouldn't touch him, that is all I need to know about the man.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that he, like Tressell, will end up taking a job at a smaller school. If and when they do well at those schools I'm sure they'll both get another shot in a few years.

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I doubt he is THAT stupid to pull a stunt like this again.
    Never underestimate a man's stupidity when it comes to cheating on one's wife. Are you old enough to remember Gary Hart?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Never underestimate a man's stupidity when it comes to cheating on one's wife. Are you old enough to remember Gary Hart?
    Then there's Mike Dubose, who got the opportunity to re-enter the coaching ranks after being fired by UA. He was hired to coach at Milsaps College in Alabama and is now coaching for the University of Memphis.
    Not saying anything about MD himself, but he's not the first coach to have endured a period of disgrace before redeeming themselves and climbing the coaching ladder anew.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Give it a few more years and some team will be desperate enough to consider him. IF he keeps his nose clean, then he will more than likely get another shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has to do well with a smaller job first. Do that, he'll get a shot.

I was really hoping he'd get the USF gig. Can you imagine that man in a city where a woman took down two generals?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Anyone can load a contract up with "behavior clauses" that will force him to act right. If wifey is ready to go to bat for him things must be well in the Petrino house as well. I doubt he is THAT stupid to pull a stunt like this again.
    He certainly had no issues leaving Louisville and Atlanta in the lurch, despite his contract.

The dude has shown a pattern of incredible immaturity - unless / until he spends a few years NOT screwing up, he's toxic, imo.

Is there a school desperate enough to hire him? Most likely, yes - but to put it in perspective, three SEC head coaches have been filled since he was fired and he wasn't seriously considered for any of them. Not even the barn...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!