Is Bobby Petrino washed up with the big jobs?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Perception is a HUGE factor for CF programs these days. This is especially true in the SEC. The fact that he straight up lied AND tried to cover up AND broke univ. statutes by giving the chick a Cush job spells doom for BP in the eyes of any component Univ. Pres. or A.D.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He certainly had no issues leaving Louisville and Atlanta in the lurch, despite his contract.

The dude has shown a pattern of incredible immaturity - unless / until he spends a few years NOT screwing up, he's toxic, imo.

Is there a school desperate enough to hire him? Most likely, yes - but to put it in perspective, three SEC head coaches have been filled since he was fired and he wasn't seriously considered for any of them. Not even the barn...
Exactly. The lack of a serious look by the SEC teams answered the question about his future that many were unsure of. It could have gone either way imo.

Less than a year ago Arkansas was back to heights last seen with Lou Holtz. Now he can only get a sham phone interview(scolding)with one of the dirtier top gigs at Auburn.....washed up.

I believe the Arkansas team crumbling this year had a lot to do with it. Not leaving his team (your program) on a solid foundation with his departure says something about his coaching methods. It was Louisville Déjà vu.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
All I can say is that Mrs. Petrino is much more understanding and forgiving than Mrs.1967 would be.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
You choose your actions in life. You cannot choose the consequences.

BP has done too many people too much personal wrong in one lifetime to be trusted with a head coaching job at any level. If any organization chooses to ignore his past, they deserve to share his future.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Petrino is learning a lesson Fulmer had trouble accepting. A winning record on the field will only go so far in countering a corrupt mindset. Both are washed out as far as an SEC coaching job, over character issues, not their ability to coach.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
All I can say is that Mrs. Petrino is much more understanding and forgiving than Mrs.1967 would be.
Sometimes woman will stand by their man for their kids future. If Petrino can't land another big time job and his character becomes less of an issue with the job market, maybe she'll leave him. No doubt he's a serial adulteress. I mean he hired his own mistress? Pretty advanced :)

Arkytider68

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2012
Lying to your employer is not a good thing. When people kept saying, "oh, they will hire him back at Arkansas after the season", I kept saying, not a chance in hell. There was a lot more to his exit than people knew. The Arkansas AD is highly respected and his word is weighty right now.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Sometimes woman will stand by their man for their kids future. If Petrino can't land another big time job and his character becomes less of an issue with the job market, maybe she'll leave him. No doubt he's a serial adulteress. I mean he hired his own mistress? Pretty advanced :)
And maybe she is standing by for the money.

dabaxter

1st Team
Nov 15, 2004
I am truly shocked that Kentucky did not hire him. It seemed like a huge no brainer. There may be more issues with him that has been released in the media or maybe they felt he would bolt as soon as he got back to some success.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The fact that Kentucky wouldn't bother showed his real market value. It then resembled the NFL draft, with Petrino falling farther and farther through the rounds. He remains radioactive. I suspect his half-life is two years, though Arkansas State or USM may be desperate enough to have him.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Time heals all wounds. Give it a year or two and he will be somewhere. I believe in forgiveness. When it is all said and done the guy is a good coach and the irresistable will to win will put him in the crosshairs of program willing to risk the investment.

Condor 63

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2003
Birmingham, AL
home.bham.rr.com
Time heals all wounds. Give it a year or two and he will be somewhere. I believe in forgiveness. When it is all said and done the guy is a good coach and the irresistable will to win will put him in the crosshairs of program willing to risk the investment.
I'd agree for the most part. I think there is also a factor that many people don't want to admit and that is no matter how many stupid mistakes you might make, eventually most people learn their lesson. It is very possible he may have reached that point and the first one to take a chance on him could reap a huge benefit.

I also understand that he may not have yet learned his lesson. :conf3:

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
If it ever opens up, WV will be a good spot for him. Lots of country roads and still warm enough to ride a motorcycle, in contrast to Wisconsin. Of course on the mountain roads, lots of curves so let me rethink this. :)

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I'm thinking maybe a christian college when an openning comes up. Most christians learn to forgive. Most people I'm listening to seem to have the holier than thou attitude. Give the man a break.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
Texas Tech will be in the mix. Not a whole lot to do in Lubbock, plus they have a habit of giving coaches with questionable past a chance.

Bobby Knight
Billy Gillispie
so Pertino would fit right in

I am truly shocked that Kentucky did not hire him. It seemed like a huge no brainer. There may be more issues with him that has been released in the media or maybe they felt he would bolt as soon as he got back to some success.
UK got burned by Gillispie with his off the court behavior. When your boss tell you to knock off the binge drinking and sleeping over at sorority houses and you refuse your fate isn't going to end well.......it didn't help he didn't win like they thought he would.....He was UK basketball version of Shula.

Edit.... Their Basketball Shula in terms of wins and loses not off the court issues.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
I think he'll get a job this year.
Someone will hire him and it will be sooner rather than later.
Told y'all.

Anybody want to subscribe to my newsletter? I also know the REAL identity of the bagman. :wink:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I would say at this point he would be hard pressed to find a job in the SEC in the near future. That man has way to much baggage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.