Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No respect for s.e.c tailbacks obviously.

Would really like to see what kind of numbers tj yeldon,eddie lacy,todd gurley keith marshall would put up against a big ten schedule and compare them with what those three finalists theyve selected for the doak walker award would come up with playing an s.e.c schedule. Personally i would take a healthy zach stacy out of vanderbilt over kenjon barner.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

In the SEC this year there were no workhorse backs. UGA, UA and LSU all ran a multiple backs. Lacy didn't carry it 20 times at all during the regular season, and even in the SECCG he only had 20 carries.

Montee Ball had 20+ carries 8 times this year and 30+ carries 4 times. He averaged under 5 yards a carry in 8 of his games this year.

I have no issue with no SEC backs getting the Doak Walker award because of how the SEC has used RBs this year. That said, I'd rather have Gurley, Eddie and TJ over any other RB in the country.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The real crime is that Barner is going to win this thing, even with the worst stats of the 3 finalists, even in the face of Ball's career numbers, just because of his huge game against USC on national TV.
    Heh heh...he said "Barner"...

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

The stats show that Johnny Football is as good a RB as Lacy. Wow! Ball deserves it for career acheivement. The two Freshmen have plenty of time later on. SEC just didn't have that dominant back(Trent Richardson style) this year after Lattimore went down.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    The stats show that Johnny Football is as good a RB as Lacy. Wow! Ball deserves it for career acheivement. The two Freshmen have plenty of time later on. SEC just didn't have that dominant back(Trent Richardson style) this year after Lattimore went down.
    Didn't realize the Doak Walker Award was a career award. Thought it was for a season. Who knew.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Didn't realize the Doak Walker Award was a career award. Thought it was for a season. Who knew.
    He also had the best season this year (and last year). Check the stats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GADAWG1980 View Post
    Would really like to see what kind of numbers tj yeldon,eddie lacy,todd gurley keith marshall would put up against a big ten schedule and compare them with what those three finalists theyve selected for the doak walker award would come up with playing an s.e.c schedule. Personally i would take a healthy zach stacy out of vanderbilt over kenjon barner.
    More and more of the better SEC teams are spreading the carries over two, or even three backs. Our third back hasn't gotten as many carries as the #3s before him, apparently because of some difficulty mastering the blocking schemes. Even with two, it really cuts into the carries. The SEC coaches, and particularly Saban, have been successful in getting through to the RB prospects that they will have a longer shelf life in the NFL if they're not having to carry the ball 95% of the running plays. Once the guys realize this, they become very team-oriented and supportive of each other. It's a breath of fresh air, compared to all the prima donna acts on other teams when the guy who thinks he's the "featured back" isn't getting the carries he feels he deserves...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    It's not, but voters will take into consideration that he has put up incredible numbers over time and stuck around for his senior year.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He also had the best season this year (and last year). Check the stats.
    I'm not arguing that. The post said he should get it for career achievements. The award isn't for the career. It's for the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    It's not, but voters will take into consideration that he has put up incredible numbers over time and stuck around for his senior year.
    And that is why some awards are losing their "shine."
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know its not taken into consideration by the powers that be that make these selections for who the finalists are gonna be but i think the most impressive thing is the caliber of the defenses that s.e.c backs are gaining these yards against. Personally,i think theres no way that any of those finalists go for 100 plus yards against a defense like bamas or ours. The fact that eddie lacy and tj yeldon did that against our defense demonstrates what just great backs they are. Of course it helps to have that tremendous o line up front helping to clear the way. Theyre ability to break tackles is really incredible as well. I just dont think that backs like montee ball,kenjon barner or the kid from ucla measure to the guys carrying the ball in this conference. Put todd gurley and keith marshall in the big ten and i know they both go over 1000 yards.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I know its not taken into consideration by the powers that be
    Sure it is - last year saw Trent Richardson win the award with far fewer yards and TDs than Montee Ball. I mean, their stats were not even remotely comparable. But Trent won.

We have no idea how Montee Ball would have done at Alabama, but I suspect that he would have done very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure it is - last year saw Trent Richardson win the award with far fewer yards and TDs than Montee Ball. I mean, their stats were not even remotely comparable. But Trent won.

We have no idea how Montee Ball would have done at Alabama, but I suspect that he would have done very well.
    B1gtide,dont you think ball would have some durability issues?? Hasnt he had some injury issues every season?? Maybe im mistaken as im no fan or follower of big ten football but i was under the impression that in each oh his seasons at wisconsin hes had some problems with injury.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

B1gtide,dont you think ball would have some durability issues?? Hasnt he had some injury issues every season?? Maybe im mistaken as im no fan or follower of big ten football but i was under the impression that in each oh his seasons at wisconsin hes had some problems with injury.
    Who hasn't that plays that position? Consider the work load. Playing for Alabama, he would not have the stats but he would also not have taken the beating. But I really think he could play anywhere.