No respect for s.e.c tailbacks obviously.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Didn't realize the Doak Walker Award was a career award. Thought it was for a season. Who knew.
It's not, but voters will take into consideration that he has put up incredible numbers over time and stuck around for his senior year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He also had the best season this year (and last year). Check the stats.
I'm not arguing that. The post said he should get it for career achievements. The award isn't for the career. It's for the year.
It's not, but voters will take into consideration that he has put up incredible numbers over time and stuck around for his senior year.
And that is why some awards are losing their "shine."

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
I know its not taken into consideration by the powers that be that make these selections for who the finalists are gonna be but i think the most impressive thing is the caliber of the defenses that s.e.c backs are gaining these yards against. Personally,i think theres no way that any of those finalists go for 100 plus yards against a defense like bamas or ours. The fact that eddie lacy and tj yeldon did that against our defense demonstrates what just great backs they are. Of course it helps to have that tremendous o line up front helping to clear the way. Theyre ability to break tackles is really incredible as well. I just dont think that backs like montee ball,kenjon barner or the kid from ucla measure to the guys carrying the ball in this conference. Put todd gurley and keith marshall in the big ten and i know they both go over 1000 yards.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know its not taken into consideration by the powers that be
Sure it is - last year saw Trent Richardson win the award with far fewer yards and TDs than Montee Ball. I mean, their stats were not even remotely comparable. But Trent won.

We have no idea how Montee Ball would have done at Alabama, but I suspect that he would have done very well.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
Sure it is - last year saw Trent Richardson win the award with far fewer yards and TDs than Montee Ball. I mean, their stats were not even remotely comparable. But Trent won.

We have no idea how Montee Ball would have done at Alabama, but I suspect that he would have done very well.
B1gtide,dont you think ball would have some durability issues?? Hasnt he had some injury issues every season?? Maybe im mistaken as im no fan or follower of big ten football but i was under the impression that in each oh his seasons at wisconsin hes had some problems with injury.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B1gtide,dont you think ball would have some durability issues?? Hasnt he had some injury issues every season?? Maybe im mistaken as im no fan or follower of big ten football but i was under the impression that in each oh his seasons at wisconsin hes had some problems with injury.
Who hasn't that plays that position? Consider the work load. Playing for Alabama, he would not have the stats but he would also not have taken the beating. But I really think he could play anywhere.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
Who hasn't that plays that position? Consider the work load. Playing for Alabama, he would not have the stats but he would also not have taken the beating. But I really think he could play anywhere.
Of course theres going to be the nagging injuries that all backs endure and play with. Im talking about injuries that cause players to miss games. Maybe he could play anywhere,however i still dont think he measures up to todd gurley or keith marshall. Of course im biased:). Be interesting to see where montee ball winds up playing on sundays. I think he was projected as a late first round/early second round pick. Of course every draft analyst will tell you something different. The falcons are gonna need a back with michael turner starting to show his age.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
More and more of the better SEC teams are spreading the carries over two, or even three backs. Our third back hasn't gotten as many carries as the #3s before him, apparently because of some difficulty mastering the blocking schemes. Even with two, it really cuts into the carries. The SEC coaches, and particularly Saban, have been successful in getting through to the RB prospects that they will have a longer shelf life in the NFL if they're not having to carry the ball 95% of the running plays. Once the guys realize this, they become very team-oriented and supportive of each other. It's a breath of fresh air, compared to all the prima donna acts on other teams when the guy who thinks he's the "featured back" isn't getting the carries he feels he deserves...
I have really enjoyed watching Mark celebrate with Trent, Trent celebrate with Eddie, and Eddie celebrate with TJ when the #2 guy makes a big play.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Forgive me for not looking it up myself, but when you refer to "yards", are you meaning rushing yards or all purpose yards?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Glad that I was wrong - Montee won the Walker award. Well deserved.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.