ATH Kerryon Johnson Commits to Auburn (Update: Page 6)

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Re: 2015 Athlete Kerryon Johnson

Whomever said it earlier may have inadvertently been correct. It appears Kerryon is a wayward son. ;-)

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Whomever said it earlier may have inadvertently been correct. It appears Kerryon is a wayward son. ;-)
Is that as opposed to a north-south or downhill runner, which some surmise ain't where the young man's rb bonafides lie?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

If he really wants to play RB and he's looked at our roster and guys reportedly high on Bama in recruiting (Flowers) then it's hard to argue that he didn't make the right decision for his aspirations.

I heard a soundbite on the guys show that follow Finebaum on Joxs and there was talk that KJ's commitment to the Barn means that the Barn has pulled even with Bama in "in-state" recruiting. This was probably comments from a Barn reporter if I had to guess.
Those two guys that follow Finebaum are barners.......:rolleyes:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: ATH Kerryon Johnson Commits to Auburn

Well you can't get them all. Gus still isn't going to out recruit CNS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

If he really wants to play RB and he's looked at our roster and guys reportedly high on Bama in recruiting (Flowers) then it's hard to argue that he didn't make the right decision for his aspirations.

I heard a soundbite on the guys show that follow Finebaum on Joxs and there was talk that KJ's commitment to the Barn means that the Barn has pulled even with Bama in "in-state" recruiting. This was probably comments from a Barn reporter if I had to guess.

It's probably just typical Aub propaganda to try to look like they measure up, but it's also completely not a fair comparison either for reasons already listed in this thread.

I will raise this concern though and one that has bothered me for a few years now. It continues to amaze me when any instate kid or even a regional recruit who has great potential to play defensive back or safety who decides to NOT go to study football under CNS. Even as we speak, one of the major concerns about next year's team is how thin and inexperienced we are in the defensive backfield, especially corner. You'd think these guys would be lining up to play for CNS.
as previously mentioned, Bama recruited him as a Safety and possible CB. he wanted to play RB. ok then, Bama moves on and nabs a 5* CB in Fitzpatrick and a 4* in Burgess for SS.

problem solved. :cool2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

as previously mentioned, Bama recruited him as a Safety and possible CB. he wanted to play RB. ok then, Bama moves on and nabs a 5* CB in Fitzpatrick and a 4* in Burgess for SS.

problem solved. :cool2:
OK. Easy to say after a huge recruiting weekend and two nice pick ups. Let's just hope it all translates on the field because we've been here before in recruiting and then they don't materalize.

My point is, you'd think we'd never be thin at corner as long as CNS is around.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL

Well if the kid didn't want to play corner or safety his commitment wouldn't have helped that issue anyway

OK. Easy to say after a huge recruiting weekend and two nice pick ups. Let's just hope it all translates on the field because we've been here before in recruiting and then they don't materalize.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

A point to consider: How may left early for the NFL? K Jackson, Menzie, Milliner, Kirkpatrick, Barron, Clinton-Dix, Sunseri . . Probably missed a few in this list.

It's a two-sided coin:
Success in preparing for the League attracts talent.
Success in preparing for the League results in early exits.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He says Alabama and FSU have not stopped recruiting him and trying to get him to flip. Link

"They haven't let up at all," Johnson said. "They've respected the commitment, but they haven't let up at all."

Florida State, Johnson's favorite school growing up, hasn't backed off either. The 6-foot, 200-pound running back said Friday night he could take unofficial visits to both this summer, but more likely would take officials the two schools, plus Auburn, in the fall. "You never know what can happen, so I'll still take them," he said.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I just don't see us wanting him to play RB here, he just doesn't fit our mold so I don't see him flipping to play a different position. I think this ship has sailed.

His teammate Malik Miller is more of our style back.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I talked to a coach from Madison Academy yesterday and he told me point blank that it came down to Bama, FSU and Auburn, but more importantly what really factored into KJ's decison.

He said Bama told him he would play defensive back and he would not play running back at Alabama. KJ wanted to play running back so that was the tipping point or difference.

Barners have probably gloated over this "recruiting victory" but this is just an example of CNS's evaluation process and shooting straight with a recruit about how he'd be used in our system.

Basically, KJ chose running back at the Barn over the premier coach in the nations vision for him.

Good luck to him though, except we they play Bama.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I talked to a coach from Madison Academy yesterday and he told me point blank that it came down to Bama, FSU and Auburn, but more importantly what really factored into KJ's decison.

He said Bama told him he would play defensive back and he would not play running back at Alabama. KJ wanted to play running back so that was the tipping point or difference.

Barners have probably gloated over this "recruiting victory" but this is just an example of CNS's evaluation process and shooting straight with a recruit about how he'd be used in our system.

Basically, KJ chose running back at the Barn over the premier coach in the nations vision for him.

Good luck to him though, except we they play Bama.
I believe Kerryon has even said that. He wants to play RB, but Bama wants him at DB. Not saying it's the same situation, but that was why TJ committed to Auburn. When he had a fantastic senior year at Daphne, CNS realized he could play RB in the SEC.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Well if the kid didn't want to play corner or safety his commitment wouldn't have helped that issue anyway
Watched KJ last night on ESPNU against Leeds.

He played well on offense at running back and receiver and they even lined him up in the wildcat qb occasionally.

However, on defense, he was a non-factor. I even saw where a poster on the Barn scout board noticed he really didn't even try when he was out there on defense.

It's interesting that CNS was intersted in KJ as a defensive back. I'm sure he has the talent, but looks like he's only interested in his offensive stats.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Looks like Johnson is re-opening his recruitment a bit, and is planning on taking official visits to Alabama and Florida State.

Wonder if Alabama is willing to reconsider him at tailback, given Yeldon's departure, the injury to Drake, and the, shall we say, uncertain situation with Tenpenny? I tend to think we could be a real player here if we are willing to give him a look on offense.

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012

Looks like Johnson is re-opening his recruitment a bit, and is planning on taking official visits to Alabama and Florida State.

Wonder if Alabama is willing to reconsider him at tailback, given Yeldon's departure, the injury to Drake, and the, shall we say, uncertain situation with Tenpenny? I tend to think we could be a real player here if we are willing to give him a look on offense.
What have you heard about Harris? Does the staff think that we get him?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.