ATH Kerryon Johnson Commits to Auburn (Update: Page 6)

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
he played safety at imo that is the best position for his career ,but he wants to play RB good luck except on one weekend

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Congrats to KJ on winning the Mr. Football award today.

With the addition to Harris the only way KJ could make it in this class is if he changes his mind about wanting to play running back, which I doubt at this point.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Some random and all-but-certainly misplaced Auburn paranoia aside, there is no real reason to expect Johnson to flip to Alabama. Crazier things have happened, sure, but this would come as a very big surprise, and shouldn't be expected.

Kind of hate that we didn't get this one, but at the same time I think we took the right approach. We evaluated him as a safety and would have taken him on that basis, and, although we considered him as a tailback, we thought we could utilize the spot better by signing a better tailback prospect. And with Harris in the fold now, it's hard for me to argue that the staff wasn't proven right on that. At the end of the day, you can't sign 'em all, and you have to allocate scholarships as best you can. Sometimes good prospects just get left out.

Still, though, best of luck to the kid at Auburn. Late November aside, hope he does well down there.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some random and all-but-certainly misplaced Auburn paranoia aside, there is no real reason to expect Johnson to flip to Alabama.

Kind of hate that we didn't get this one, but at the same time I think we took the right approach. We evaluated him as a safety and would have taken him on that basis, and, although we considered him as a tailback, we thought we could utilize the spot better by signing a better tailback prospect. And with Harris in the fold now, it's hard for me to argue that the staff wasn't proven right on that.

Still, though, best of luck to the kid at Auburn. Late November aside, hope he does well down there.
Find it very ironic he chose Auburn over Bama because of the position choice by each staff since he got to Tampa and played DB in the Under Armour game.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
You would think that more kids would be smart about this when it comes to playing multiple positions. Running back value in the NFL is in the toilet. Becoming a great safety is the best way to maximize his potential.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
These kids have been catered to their entire life, from the time they out ran every other five year old by twenty yards. They get what they want, or they go somewhere else. As an adult it makes perfect sense to follow the advice of a coach at the highest level of amateur football. As a kid, you want to be on ESPN and tote the rock. The money is the same either way.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Find it very ironic he chose Auburn over Bama because of the position choice by each staff since he got to Tampa and played DB in the Under Armour game.
and nearly everyone who saw him there thought he should play safety at the next level

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Congrats to KJ on winning the Mr. Football award today.

With the addition to Harris the only way KJ could make it in this class is if he changes his mind about wanting to play running back, which I doubt at this point.
I saw an interview with him after winning Mr. Football and he said he chose playing RB at the Barn because their style of play and type of RB fitted him. He said he is not a big, physical 230-235 lb RB (referring to Bama's RB's) and that he his style fit better at the Barn. I definitely do not see a flip on this one even if we told him he could play RB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The boogs will move him to DB once he signs.
In an interview after the Mr. Football award he admitted the possibility, but I think he believes he'll play running back at the barn.

If he really thought he would be switched to safety, who knows?

At this point, he may just be drinking the barner koolaid.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Kerryon Johnson isn't sure if he's taking offical visit to alabama this weekend.... He stated that his OV at Auburn went extremely well and was real suprised at the number of talent for this class. if he takes OV to Alabama, this will affect his decision... He's rumored to be open to playing Safety instead of RB... I think he'll be a suprise flip, if he goes this weekend.. But with few spots... That means one of our targets will lose out.. Very interesting the next few days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kerryon Johnson isn't sure if he's taking offical visit to alabama this weekend.... He stated that his OV at Auburn went extremely well and was real suprised at the number of talent for this class. if he takes OV to Alabama, this will affect his decision... He's rumored to be open to playing Safety instead of RB... I think he'll be a suprise flip, if he goes this weekend.. But with few spots... That means one of our targets will lose out.. Very interesting the next few days.
I've followed the KJ saga pretty closely cause I've watched his HS career a little closer that I have others.

Hope he takes an OV and if he's really open to playing safety it drastically improves our chances. I'd love to see him be this year's Barn recruit that flips last minute.

However, not knowing anything other than what I see here, KJ just strikes me as one who will probably stay with his commitment to the Barn. Just a gut feeling FWIW.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
If he is willing to play safety and if he will take an official visit to Tuscaloosa, then a flip may happen.

Obviously those are two big ifs, though, and until those ifs turn into definites I wouldn't get too worked up just yet.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't see a visit or a flip. I think he wants to play RB and he thinks the Barn's style of play and style of RB fits him well. Also, we have 3 safety commits in this class and don't see us taking 4.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.