ATH Kerryon Johnson Commits to Auburn (Update: Page 6)

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Re: 2015 Athlete Kerryon Johnson

He's from my high school, first state championship in school and county history and he was a huge part of it. I know his brother, Kerron Johnson, who is the starting PG in basketball at Belmont and helped take them to the tournament last year. There's definitely some athletiscm in that family. But from what I know Kerron is a big FSU fan, no clue what Kerryon is though. Heard he went down to the Iron Bowl for a visit this year too so there's definitely is interest. Definitely hope he Roll's with the Tide. He's an unbelievable athlete as an RB and DB.

Oh, and just a plug for my old school, Jordan Matthews from Vandy went their too and he's dominating now! Hope Kerryon can help start an SEC tradition :cool2:

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

One question: is Madison Academy a private academy? If so, I think that is kinda unfair to let them compete against public schools.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

One question: is Madison Academy a private academy? If so, I think that is kinda unfair to let them compete against public schools.
There are several Montgomery private schools that compete in AHSAA events.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009

They are private. Rule changes mean that every student counts as 1 1/2 students as far as sports classifications. So they are a large 1a or small 2a school playing 3a competition.

Roll Tide

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

They are private. Rule changes mean that every student counts as 1 1/2 students as far as sports classifications. So they are a large 1a or small 2a school playing 3a competition.

Roll Tide
They still have the opportunity to grant-aid exceptional athletes which is something a public school in 3A certainly can't do...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

They still have the opportunity to grant-aid exceptional athletes which is something a public school in 3A certainly can't do...
St. Paul's in Mobile is a 5A school. According to its website, they do not offer any academic or athletic scholarships.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

To get it back on topic: I watched the game on the internet feed today, both their backs - Kerryon and the freshmen - looked like FBS power conference tier players in the making. I get the feeling the Freshman, Miller, will grow into a LB before he graduates high school. Kerryon Johnson is absolutely electric with the ball in his hands. He's already got exceptional vision built on the fact that they use a zone block scheme where cutback ability is key.

If he can keep his head on straight and continue to grow, I think he could contribute at Alabama in a few years. It's not often you see a small high school use a scheme with such a great deal of transferability to what we run on offense. Madison Academy is a pure zone-block team and it will only help Kerryon develop more into a top prospect for us at tailback down the line.

He's a "must get" for the staff and I do believe they've been on top of him since last season.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Roll Tide
Actually 1.35 in Alabama.

St. Paul's in Mobile is a 5A school. According to its website, they do not offer any academic or athletic scholarships.
FWIW all of them claim they do not offer scholarships. I was actually recruited by a private school in the late 90's for baseball and basketball so I KNOW it's true. All of them may not but you better believe the majority of them do.

Kerryon is a beast on the field. He dominated last year as well but Handley's comeback cost him the MVP last year as well more than likely. Being so young though there is no telling where he ends up on the field at this point.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

FWIW all of them claim they do not offer scholarships. I was actually recruited by a private school in the late 90's for baseball and basketball so I KNOW it's true. All of them may not but you better believe the majority of them do.

Kerryon is a beast on the field. He dominated last year as well but Handley's comeback cost him the MVP last year as well more than likely. Being so young though there is no telling where he ends up on the field at this point.
My brother-in-law played in the soccer state championships one year. After the game, a booster from a private school walked up to him and told him they would pay for an apartment for him and parents.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

My brother-in-law played in the soccer state championships one year. After the game, a booster from a private school walked up to him and told him they would pay for an apartment for him and parents.
I believe it. Me and my best friend were invited to "visit" the school like a college trip and met all the teachers and students and were paraded around there like we were All-Americans. Then we had conference calls from the AD, Coach, and Principal about what was expected of us, etc. but we wound up turning them down to stay with our roots (a K-12 school we started and finished at). Probably should have went but didn't. It was $250 a month back in 1997 that was all paid by the school.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009

Not denying any of that, but don't think it's the case with this kid. He's been there for a while. Good family. Head on straight. All siblings have gone through the school from elementary if not mistaken. Regardless, if he is this good as a sophomore and continues to develop, I'd like to see him in crimson... And the big freshman running back too.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Not denying any of that, but don't think it's the case with this kid. He's been there for a while. Good family. Head on straight. All siblings have gone through the school from elementary if not mistaken. Regardless, if he is this good as a sophomore and continues to develop, I'd like to see him in crimson... And the big freshman running back too.
Not doubting he is there because his parents are paying. Just seems like a disadvantage to the public schools that cannot offer scholarships. For instance, I have a friend from high school playing NAIA football but was offered by a D-3 school. The D-3 school couldn't offer an athletic scholarship, so he was getting an academic one.

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL

I find it funny the whole arguement about the private school having an unfair advantage. My senior year at Madison Academy we had around 60 people in my senior class, and almost all the guys played football. Same for most of the classes below us. Thing was, almost all of us playing had been there since we were in middle school or earlier, especially some of our best players. There may have been 1 or 2 guys who were getting some help to go there, but it wasn't just a group of allstars recruited there. And unless some coach has the incredible ability to know how big, tall, and fast a 13 year old is going to be in the next few years, recruiting is pretty much impossible for guys that young.

A public school at the 3A level has a much larger student population to pull athletes from so all in all I'd say it's pretty fair, if not an advantage for the public school. I'm not saying recruiting doesn't happen, I'm just saying if a guy is a freshman or sophomore and tearing it up, there's pretty much little to no chance that he was recruited.

420centraltime

Dec 6, 2012

So what about the 6'11 basketball player that came from Africa a while back and helped MA win a couple state titles in basketball?

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL

Football and Basketball are not equal. Football is a team game and one player doesn't win championships. This is a football thread and that's what I was talking about.

But to humor you, from what I understand they found him over in africa while on a mission trip and he was basically living on the street and eating out of the trash. A family here was willing to adopt him and he played basketball. Also, he really wasn't that good till about his senior year because he had never played in his life. Just tall and imposing. I also knew him, really incredibly nice guy. Just thankful to be there.

The first state title was mostly won by guys who had gone there since Kindergarden. So how did they recruit them? Then Kerron Johnson, Kerryon's brother helped win some of the others, and he'd been there for a while too.

Last edited:

420centraltime

Dec 6, 2012

Lol, if you think one player can win basketball championships then you're sadly mistaken. It started off as a football thread, but it went off course and started talking about private school recruitment, which is where my post comes on. You can't be serious..I played in the one of the same basketball tournaments he did when he first came to Huntsville and he was swatting shots left and right. For a guy living off the streets and "eating out of trashcans" he didn't have the physique of a starving African child.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL

For a guy living off the streets and "eating out of trashcans" he didn't have the physique of a starving African child.
Got that right! I know the guy and his family that he stayed with while over here, and known them for a long time, and he even told me that they didn't even know for sure how old Bawau was? they thought the kid was in his 20's LOL!

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL

Lol, if you think one player can win basketball championships then you're sadly mistaken. It started off as a football thread, but it went off course and started talking about private school recruitment, which is where my post comes on. You can't be serious..I played in the one of the same basketball tournaments he did when he first came to Huntsville and he was swatting shots left and right. For a guy living off the streets and "eating out of trashcans" he didn't have the physique of a starving African child.
Not sure if that first bit is directed at me, but I agree, not one person wins any state championships and I said as much in the latter part of my post. The guys who won state my senior year there had been there for years and years and Bawau could barely shoot the ball. He could block, yes, but he couldn't catch a pass to save his life. It was the guys who went on to play for D-I schools that won and they had never been recruited.

And as far as Bawau's past, I just know what I heard and I can't speculate on anything else because I don't know. Wasn't there.

Just don't get where all the talk about private schools recruiting comes from and I get really irritated when people automatically assume that because a private school is doing well at a sport that they're cheating somehow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.