Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question: What is AJ's draft outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Yea, I just posted on the Recruiting board about this too. I just think that if AJ leads another National Championship effort back to back then he will not improve his draft status by coming back next year. I could be wrong but looking at a guaranteed million dollar contract vs a retooled O-Line and possibility of injury I would take the money and go with it. All that said, though, I hope he stays.
    A.J. is not going to get a guaranteed anything if he comes out. The only guarantee is for first or second rounders and A.J. is in no way close to that level at this point.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I believe that Alabama will beat ND on 1/7, and as long as AJ doesn't have a horrible game, his draft stock will rise accordingly. Winning back to back BCS Championships is the type on intangible that NFL teams will pay for. He is not a first rounder, which takes the pressure off the GM that picks him up. A GM could pick him in the 2nd or 3rd round and get no flack, even if he never plays.

BamaNation Second Team namath70's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say contending for the 1st pick

BamaNation Second Team namath70's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    His draft outlook is a first-round pick right after winning the 2013 Heisman and leading the Tide to a three-peat.
    I would say 1st pick

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the WRs were an average group last year, but AJ needs to realize that Cooper doesn't even have to be open for him to complete a pass. Just put it up and let him go get it. I would like to see those two have another year together. Cooper will make a QB look real good if the QB will trust him to get the ball.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    A.J. is not going to get a guaranteed anything if he comes out. The only guarantee is for first or second rounders and A.J. is in no way close to that level at this point.
    Agreed...my point is that AJ's stock might soar if he has a similar outing to last January and we take home another NC trophy. I know his heart is all Crimson and he may want to come back to finish his eligibility regardless. But a back-to-back National Championship QB may have much more to lose by coming back and risking injury than to take it to the NFL and start learing as a backup.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    A.J. has some work to do. He's done a wonderful job in the system he currently operates in but I don't think he's ready for the N.F.L. just yet.
    He's a good but not a naturally gifted passer and he has to learn to read progressions and not lock in on the primary receiver so much. He also has to stop holding the ball so long before making a decision as to whether to throw it or not. Even on the throw to Cooper to beat Georgia Amari had to sprint, slow down, and then sprint again. The throw took that long to be thrown even though Cooper was wide open almost immediately. Also, Some of the sacks our offensive line have given up took place about six seconds after the play started. That's not good.
    I personally think A.J. has done a fantastic job but that still doesn't mean he's an NFL QB.
    He needs another year. If he develops next year he may go in the third or fourth and get a chance for an NFL career.
    sip
    To be fair to him, if you look at the videos, he looks right first, after the PA fake, and then he looks left and "OMG, Amari's open" and lets it fly...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    To be fair to him, if you look at the videos, he looks right first, after the PA fake, and then he looks left and "OMG, Amari's open" and lets it fly...
    I'll agree and I'll also give him this benefit of the doubt as far as the progressions--I think Coach Saban has a tendency to pick out a go to guy and to instruct all parties involved(including Nuss) to get the ball to him if at all possible. I may be wrong about this but somehow I don't think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Agreed...my point is that AJ's stock might soar if he has a similar outing to last January and we take home another NC trophy. I know his heart is all Crimson and he may want to come back to finish his eligibility regardless. But a back-to-back National Championship QB may have much more to lose by coming back and risking injury than to take it to the NFL and start learing as a backup.
    But how about a chance to be the first and only QB to possibly win three in a row??? If he accomplished that he'd probably make more off of endorsements and being an ESPN analyst than he could ever make in the NFL many times over. To do something no Quarterback has EVER done would make me want to give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I'll say this too Earle, sometimes Amari is so wide open that it's almost like A.J. hesitates thinking, "Nobody could be that wide open" lol

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably a 3rd or 4th round pick. Staying for his 4th year depends on whether AJ thinks that his draft stock would improve with another year in college.

He might be advised by NFL scouts that his draft status may already be maxed out and that he would be better off entering the NFL now (even as a 3rd or 4th round pick) so he can start working his way up.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

You have to look at two things when it comes to drafting QB's, and seeing where they land. First is grade, and how high he would grade out in comparison to other QB's in the draft. With that, he would do alright I would assume. He has good size, decent mobility, a good (not great) arm, and a nice football IQ. I would say he is top 10 among QB's in that aspect.

Only two QB's, as of now, grade as first round picks (Geno Smith and Matt Barkley). Add in the other senior prospects who grade out as draftable (Mike Glennon 1st or 2nd round; Tyler Wilson, EJ Manuel, and Landry Jones 2nd or 3rd; Aaron Murray, Ryan Nassib, and Zac Dysert 4th or later), plus the junior currently ranked ahead of him (Logan Thomas, Tyler Bray, Derek Carr, and Bryn Renner courtesy of ESPN), and you see he would probably fall into that 8-13 range as a drafted QB. Which would fall somewhere in the 4th-7th round.

Second is need... That's whereit gets hairy, because not many teams are QB shopping this year, and there will be a trickle down effect because of it. He has little upside in leaving...
    Last edited by Matt0424; December 6th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

AJ could really use another year to further develop his fundamentals, especially his footwork and accuracy on the throws of 15-20 yards range. Right now, I would say that he's a 4-6th rounder.