Question: What is AJ's draft outlook?

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
I heard awhile back that the inquiry had been made, but I never heard what the outcome was. Also, what other juniors might decide to enter the draft?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think he's going to come back.

If I had to guess, and I'm no expert by any means, I don't think he'd go before the 3rd round. I think it's likely he wouldn't go until the 4th. There was a time when he might have been projected as a 1st rounder. I think that passed after the past month. JMO.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
If I had to guess, I think it's likely he will be back. The QB class for the upcoming draft will be thick. Lots of big time QBs going pro: Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley, Aaron Murray perhaps, then others I'm probably forgetting about. Plus I think AJ can improve himself for next year's draft by having more experience.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
His draft outlook is a first-round pick right after winning the 2013 Heisman and leading the Tide to a three-peat.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
If I had to guess, I think it's likely he will be back. The QB class for the upcoming draft will be thick. Lots of big time QBs going pro: Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley, Aaron Murray perhaps, then others I'm probably forgetting about. Plus I think AJ can improve himself for next year's draft by having more experience.
Also, some other well known names..Landry Jones and EJ Manuel. This is a loaded QB season.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Yea, I just posted on the Recruiting board about this too. I just think that if AJ leads another National Championship effort back to back then he will not improve his draft status by coming back next year. I could be wrong but looking at a guaranteed million dollar contract vs a retooled O-Line and possibility of injury I would take the money and go with it. All that said, though, I hope he stays.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
A.J. has some work to do. He's done a wonderful job in the system he currently operates in but I don't think he's ready for the N.F.L. just yet.
He's a good but not a naturally gifted passer and he has to learn to read progressions and not lock in on the primary receiver so much. He also has to stop holding the ball so long before making a decision as to whether to throw it or not. Even on the throw to Cooper to beat Georgia Amari had to sprint, slow down, and then sprint again. The throw took that long to be thrown even though Cooper was wide open almost immediately. Also, Some of the sacks our offensive line have given up took place about six seconds after the play started. That's not good.
I personally think A.J. has done a fantastic job but that still doesn't mean he's an NFL QB.
He needs another year. If he develops next year he may go in the third or fourth and get a chance for an NFL career.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yea, I just posted on the Recruiting board about this too. I just think that if AJ leads another National Championship effort back to back then he will not improve his draft status by coming back next year. I could be wrong but looking at a guaranteed million dollar contract vs a retooled O-Line and possibility of injury I would take the money and go with it. All that said, though, I hope he stays.
A.J. is not going to get a guaranteed anything if he comes out. The only guarantee is for first or second rounders and A.J. is in no way close to that level at this point.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe that Alabama will beat ND on 1/7, and as long as AJ doesn't have a horrible game, his draft stock will rise accordingly. Winning back to back BCS Championships is the type on intangible that NFL teams will pay for. He is not a first rounder, which takes the pressure off the GM that picks him up. A GM could pick him in the 2nd or 3rd round and get no flack, even if he never plays.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I know the WRs were an average group last year, but AJ needs to realize that Cooper doesn't even have to be open for him to complete a pass. Just put it up and let him go get it. I would like to see those two have another year together. Cooper will make a QB look real good if the QB will trust him to get the ball.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
A.J. is not going to get a guaranteed anything if he comes out. The only guarantee is for first or second rounders and A.J. is in no way close to that level at this point.
Agreed...my point is that AJ's stock might soar if he has a similar outing to last January and we take home another NC trophy. I know his heart is all Crimson and he may want to come back to finish his eligibility regardless. But a back-to-back National Championship QB may have much more to lose by coming back and risking injury than to take it to the NFL and start learing as a backup.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A.J. has some work to do. He's done a wonderful job in the system he currently operates in but I don't think he's ready for the N.F.L. just yet.
He's a good but not a naturally gifted passer and he has to learn to read progressions and not lock in on the primary receiver so much. He also has to stop holding the ball so long before making a decision as to whether to throw it or not. Even on the throw to Cooper to beat Georgia Amari had to sprint, slow down, and then sprint again. The throw took that long to be thrown even though Cooper was wide open almost immediately. Also, Some of the sacks our offensive line have given up took place about six seconds after the play started. That's not good.
I personally think A.J. has done a fantastic job but that still doesn't mean he's an NFL QB.
He needs another year. If he develops next year he may go in the third or fourth and get a chance for an NFL career.
sip
To be fair to him, if you look at the videos, he looks right first, after the PA fake, and then he looks left and "OMG, Amari's open" and lets it fly...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.