Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar

Re: So am I the only one feeling the rest of The SEC is jealous over Bama

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    I'm a lifelong Alabama fan with a slightly different perspective. I understand the case for claiming that Dial's hit was legal. Technically, it probably was, but the play must be judged in context. I'm not saying that Dial should be suspended for the BCSNC game, but I am saying that I expected a flag to be thrown for unsporstmanlike conduct. Aaron Murray was moving only tentatively in the direction of the play and didn't give the impression of being a threat to tackle the Alabama defender. The ferocity of the hit, the fact that Murray had only a split second to become aware of Dial's approach, and the upper body area of the blow all add up to a play that, for me, just doesn't pass the eyeball test of safe or reasonable conduct.
    I understand what youre trying to say quicksilver but in my opinion its football. Its a tough,hard hitting game. In my opinion dials just doing his job. Both our guys and yours left it all out there on the field that night,thats for sure.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GADAWG1980 View Post
    I have been a georgia fan all my life and a georgia grad. I bleed red and black and i can tell you that i dont think dials hit on Aaron was dirty or illegal. Once the interception had been thrown and the play was ongoing the hit was not illegal. Dial was simply blocking on the interception return. I just wish Aaron wouldve seen it coming because that was one heck of a hit he took. However its a credit to how physically and mentally tough Aaron is. He shook it off and came out and played a great second half. Really if you look at it that particular play had no implications later in the game so i dont see how anybody could percieve it as bama getting a break because the refs didnt see it??
    I really appreciate this post, one of the few I've seen from a UGA fan which is realistic. Most of the threads on the UGA boards seem somehow to blame the loss on this one non-call. Dial simply did what he's been trained to do - hit the QB on a live ball when the hit's available. That's the game. What's he supposed to do? Stop short and give him a two-handed tag? There's room for disagreement on the helmet contact, although I fall on the side that it's unreasonable to totally forbid it when the tackler's 6" taller - unless you want him to go for the knees instead...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Aaron Murray was moving only tentatively in the direction of the play and didn't give the impression of being a threat to tackle the Alabama defender.
    How close does one have to be to the ball carrier to be a "threat to tackle" him? 7-8 yards in front of the ball carrier isn't close enough?

I agree with the consensus that it was a vicious, violent, clean legal hit. CBS is responsible for provoking the debate, as Gary Danielson repeatedly (and inaccurately) used the phrase "unnecessary roughness" and good ole Verne grunted his assent. ("My goodness!")

The only questionable aspect IMHO was the degree of helmet contact. After watching it several times, it looks to me like Dial led with his shoulder and the helmet contact was incidental. Apparently the referee drew the same conclusion.

Football is a contact sport. The hit was legal. If you can't take the territory that comes with the sport then don't play. It was the SECCG! Emotions on both sides were running high! Dial didn't do anything wrong. This isn't European football(soccer) Nothing was wrong with the play.
    I'm a lifelong Alabama fan with a slightly different perspective. I understand the case for claiming that Dial's hit was legal. Technically, it probably was, but the play must be judged in context. I'm not saying that Dial should be suspended for the BCSNC game, but I am saying that I expected a flag to be thrown for unsporstmanlike conduct. Aaron Murray was moving only tentatively in the direction of the play and didn't give the impression of being a threat to tackle the Alabama defender. The ferocity of the hit, the fact that Murray had only a split second to become aware of Dial's approach, and the upper body area of the blow all add up to a play that, for me, just doesn't pass the eyeball test of safe or reasonable conduct.
    The avatar picture is of my Daughter Hailee and me. My daughter is a future Crimson Tide cheerleader

BamaNation First Team Rattlehead82's Avatar
    My Mood
    Lurking on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    If you're inclined to hold your nose and check out Tiger Droppings, you'll see but ome more example of what the posters are referring to.

I think you might find that the word "unhinged" comes to mind...

I find tigerdroppings quite fun right now. No fanbase comes close to the amount of whining lsu fans are capable of. A few of them were talking about wanting to leave the SEC and ask Texas to be let into the Big 12. It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkaboutSean View Post
    CBS is responsible for provoking the debate, as Gary Danielson repeatedly (and inaccurately) used the phrase "unnecessary roughness" and good ole Verne grunted his assent. ("My goodness!")
    Don't forget tim brando crying about it during halftime.

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    nah,,for whatever reason ATM loves us.......but that will wear off.
    lol, cuz they beat us.

Plus I think they like the idea of sharing Bryant and Stallings, as if their success at Bama reflects well on A&M as well.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation First Team CrimSonami's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tide power fan View Post
    Over here in Mississippi Head to head radio caller calling in about Q Dials hit on Murray saying how Alabama gets all the breaks in the SEC. Do you get the feeling we are now on our OWN?
    New here?

RTR!!!

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    nah,,for whatever reason ATM loves us.......but that will wear off.
    Yep, they will get Alabama fatigue (like the SEC version to the rest of the world) once we beat them a few times. They only love us because we have shared a few coaches and their game with us probably got their QB a statue this weekend.

BamaNation All-American

Jealous? No. To be jealous, you must have possessed the object of your jealousy in the first place.

Envious? Oh yeah. For decades. Like the Red Sox are envious of the Yankees. Like the Clippers are envious of the Lakers. Like the boogs envy us.

My goodness, it's great to be hated gain.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; December 6th, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

Nope, not jealous. Bama has earned what it has (well, mostly -- you need to recount the championships at some point). We hope Bama annihilates ND and keeps the hardware in the SEC for a 7th year. Bama is king of the mountain and we don't want anyone else knocking y'all off. So make sure y'all stay up there for now. Someday soon we'll tussle again.

And the block was clean. If Murray didn't want to be blocked, he shouldn't have been jogging towards the play.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It's not just the SEC, it's a Nationwide jealousy brought on by our success.
    It's Alabama fatigue...
    It's Saban fatigue...

It's teams too lazy to recruit as hard as Coach Saban.
    It's teams too lazy and undisciplined to establish a good work ethic in the weight room.
    It's coaches looking for a shortcut to success.

Turns out that there are a lot of 'Little Brothers' out there...

BamaNation First Team Gallowglas's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just be glad if you don't have to listen to the Vol fans. They're the worst. I have never heard so much sour grapes in my life. They'd cheer for Al Queda if they were playing Alabama. One of regulars at the gym I use at work actually ordered Texas A&M flags for his car and, yes, he's a Vol fan. And, of course, you guessed it. He's cheering for ND. I may have to temp-paint his rear windshield with "Brady Quinn is my Copilot". I tried to make him a deal that I'd cheer for his team in their post-season game if he'd cheer for Bama, but I couldn't get him to bite.