Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team CrimSonami's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: Coach Nuss to interview at So. Miss...

Quote Originally Posted by buzzincuzzin View Post
    You just don't know what's going on in the office up there. We do know his thumb print was not on the second half of the SECCG.
    Nailed it! This combined with the lesson learned versus aTm would lead you to think this season is an adjustment period for CDN. I hope he can adapt and stays.

RTR!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

In general, it seems a bad thing to take a job and then jump ship one year later.

I understand a head coaching job is a step up...but say things don't go well for him as a head coach...and he finds himself back in the market as a coordinator again...in that situation his tendency to jump around might work against him.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

To be honest I would be shocked if Nuss was "encouraged" to be looking due to his play calling. I mean come on guys, it's not like it was atrocious. A little pass heavy at points in games? Sure, but outside of that I can tell you our deep passing game improved a million times over. It was balanced, aggressive and overall a success.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American Airborne Tider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    To be honest I would be shocked if Nuss was "encouraged" to be looking due to his play calling. I mean come on guys, it's not like it was atrocious. A little pass heavy at points in games? Sure, but outside of that I can tell you our deep passing game improved a million times over. It was balanced, aggressive and overall a success.
    Bravo. Thank you for that. Our offense had many firsts and records set this year but we are talking about forcing our OC out. I just don't understand our fanbase sometimes.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I agree with Buzzard. I think CNS let him know quite strongly to run the ball on 1st down and keep running it at halftime of the SECCG if I read into correctly what he said to Tracy Wolfson at the halftime interview.

I never meant to insinuate he was encouraged. He might feel like he needs to be looking for himself. Not sure if everyone realizes this or not but CNS isn't the easiest person on earth to work for. Maybe he's tired of it already, maybe he hates the Black Warrior River, he may not like wearing crimson or maybe his wife hates the humidity. My point is we don't know what it could be, but maybe he feels like he needs to be looking for himself and his family.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    I never meant to insinuate he was encouraged. He might feel like he needs to be looking for himself. Not sure if everyone realizes this or not but CNS isn't the easiest person on earth to work for. Maybe he's tired of it already, maybe he hates the Black Warrior River, he may not like wearing crimson or maybe his wife hates the humidity. My point is we don't know what it could be, but maybe he feels like he needs to be looking for himself and his family.
    Might be. I don't know.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

I'd hate to see him leave at this point. I think he has done a fine job as a first year OC. Given the level of talent, imagine where we could be with a few years of continuity.

BamaNation All-SEC

He's a young guy he would do well to hang in there. If does there will be better jobs than USM that come along later. And honestly he might learn a thing or two along the way about how to build balanced offense and how to respond to the tempo of a game (whether you should dominate with the run or pass).

BamaNation First Team Alajambama's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I disliked Nuss very much for not running the ball whatsoever on first and goal in the A&M game. I still think we run we win in that one. Then when no one on the face of the planet was expecting that deep ball to Cooper in the SECCG, he dialed it up and won the game. Maybe he's great, maybe he's not. But, I think if he leaves then his replacement will be just as successful if not more so. I've never played or coached a down in my life, but I think I could take Bama's offense and score enough points for the defense to win 10+ games. Bottom line is this: As long as Saban is running the show, we will have the best coordinators possible.
    The best thing to ever come out of Tennessee...I-65 heading south.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm not sure USM will hire another coordinator after the Johnson debacle. I think we will have Nuss back next year.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

On a positive note (since Alabama is in the BCSCG anyway), the loss to aTm probably spared America from more ND adulation on Saturday night, as it propelled Manziel into the lead in the Heisman race.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Coach Nuss had his regrettable moments at times in the LSU and TAMU games, but on the balance he has done a lot for the offense this season. He shows far more agression in his playcalling than McElwain. I think Nuss has been an overall improvement on our offense but every once and a while a good coach will have games like TAMU where they over-think things and get away from the team's strengths too much. I didn't really like the LSU gameplan outside the second quarter (without considering the planned out 2-minute scenario they had for LSU). The TAMU game was more of the same: too much passing on early downs in the first quarter, got back into the game with the run in the second, then abandoned it again in the second half.

Lets not forget McElwain, for as good as he had been for us in SECCG and BCSCG settings, had some real stinkers in the regular season too: '09 Tennessee, '11 LSU, etc. Even Saban has a bad day at the office every once and a while and the coordinators are no different. Nuss was probably just a little slow on realizing the adjustments teams were making against our passing game. He got in a mental lock that teams were going to stop at nothing to prevent the run and assumed passing would be open all day. More teams have been playing with less guys around the LOS lately because we've legitimized the vertical threat and we needed to do what we did to UGA to open up the down field passing.

I hope against Notre Dame that we'll come out in power looks early and get a gauge on how they will play us. Starting the first quarter in spread-like looks has almost become expected by the opponents and it is not producing the same effects it once did.