Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Coach Nuss to interview at So. Miss...

The concern I always have about new coordinators is that you don't always hit home runs. Look at long-running programs in Texas and Oklahoma. They've had a brain drain and are struggling to regain the same dominance they had early in each coach's tenure. Eventually, you hire a guy who is a stinker...and we've been very fortunate to hire two solid OCs in a row.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

to back that up.... there were 4 games that werent double digit wins in 2010. Arky, South Carolina, Auburn, and LSU. There were 3 games this year that weren't double digit wins LSU a&m, and Georgia.

2010 stats against those teams: 26.75 points allowed pg, 377 total yards allowed pg

2012 stats against those teams: 24.67 points allowed pg, 415.7 total yards allowed pg

the only single digit game in 2011 was LSU in ttown- 9 points allowed , 239 yards allowed. including overtime.

This defense is not as good as the overall stats indicate. It just didnt play down to its competition at all, hence the shutouts and the overall numbers. it is much closer to 2010 than 2011. this offense got us in the NC game. Do not forget that.
    Last edited by cmmiller711; December 8th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

FWIW....... Coach put a staff together in a hurry his first year. After that he's been beyond astute evaluating coaches except trading Sal for Lance.

BamaNation Second Team AlabasterBama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Lets not forget McElwain, for as good as he had been for us in SECCG and BCSCG settings, had some real stinkers in the regular season too: '09 Tennessee, '11 LSU, etc.
    The 08 SECCG too. When UF scored to go ahead of us late in the game we threw on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. Almost like he may have panicked a little. Running the ball had been successful all night. That being said all OC and DC have that learnig curve. There was discussions on this board during McElwain's first and second years and we went 11-2 and 13-0. Nobody is going to agree with ever call. They get paid to do the best they can. Sometimes its hard to break old habits. But ask this question was there any complaining about McElwain's play calling in the BCSNG last year??????? I think not. One of the best play called games I have witnessed in a long time.

On a lesser and much smaller scale I had to learn the same lessons over the last 10 years as a DC and OC in high school football. I'm feel like I'm a much better playcaller today that I was 10 years ago when I got my first opportunity. My head coach thinks the same thing ;-) Those lesson as not always pleasant. Nothing like getting chewed out the whole time the defense is on the field when an int cost us an opportunity to put the game out of reach in the 4th. BTW it was a slant call on the 3 yard line on 1st and goal. Learned a valuable lesson that night. RUN THE FOOTBALL

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Coach Nuss to interview at So. Miss...

Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    to back that up.... there were 4 games that werent double digit wins in 2010. Arky, South Carolina, Auburn, and LSU. There were 3 games this year that weren't double digit wins LSU a&m, and Georgia.

2010 stats against those teams: 26.75 points allowed pg, 377 total yards allowed pg

2012 stats against those teams: 24.67 points allowed pg, 415.7 total yards allowed pg

the only single digit game in 2011 was LSU in ttown- 9 points allowed , 239 yards allowed. including overtime.

This defense is not as good as the overall stats indicate. It just didnt play down to its competition at all, hence the shutouts and the overall numbers. it is much closer to 2010 than 2011. this offense got us in the NC game. Do not forget that.
    You sure they did?! I'm not so sure they did. I see plenty of mistakes on both sides of the ball. To say the offense won it when we saw a tipped ball by the defense who after they thought it was done and had to somehow ratchet back up and go out there and close out is very short sighted of you. You forget the injuries to Williams. You forget the blocked fog try that went for the touchdown. You've gotta look at it as a whole. We should have blown UGA out the water. Timely mistakes by all three phases almost cost us, but they overcame it. Offense doesn't score unless the defense stops them.

Suspended

Geez. Some of y'all won't be happy unless we're playing Stallings ball.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm all for passing offense. The problem is that I think in long stretches of the LSU and TAMU games Alabama was completely out of balance...and most of their successful drives were the few times they got behind the run game. I like seeing good balance...maybe not 50-50 playcalling but a true threat of either out of any formation or personnel.

I think most teams anticipate us to come out passing now...even going back to the McElwain days. I think we need to be cognizant of the looks we're getting out of the gate instead of just going to down the sheet. If we come out against Notre Dame and the safety is down in the box and the OLBs are cheating in, it's time to run some of the bootleg action stuff seen against LSU the last championship. If we're getting a more balanced look from the defense, we need to punch them in the mouth.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Coach Nuss to interview at So. Miss...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    I agree

BamaNation Second Team centerstar's Avatar

I like the offense this year and want to keep Coach N. However, I (like some of those here) think we've thrown the ball too much at times this year. Something that I believe gets overlooked - our stats are skewed by the fact that in many of the games have been blowouts in the first half and we've run clock late. In some of those games the bench has been cleared and we're handing off lots. When the talking heads say we have perfect balance, do we have perfect balance throughout the game?

We always seem to lead with the pass and go to the run late. After LSU and A&M, I told everyone I talked to that we'd make GA stop the run and then go play action. I was really surprised with what we did offensively in the first half.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned when you all are comparing stats here. Do we have more and better quality depth on the roster this year? Are our skill positions better now than 2010 or other previous years under CJM? Is our QB situation better now than it's been since (having a hard time putting down a year here...a long time)? Our numbers are better, but shouldn't they be?

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't even know why we have those players that catch the ball. We need to run it and run it some more!
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

As long as they win I really don't care what kind of offense we run.

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar

Geez. Some of y'all won't be happy.
    Fixed it for you, Prof.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I have always liked CJS, but his Offenses drove me crazy.
    Seemed like the CJS teams would score just enough points, and let the Defense win the game.
    (Seems like he's always thought 28 pts was enough to win the game)
    Times have changed and so has the game...
    CJS was pretty successful with the 'sit on a lead' philosophy, but I hated it.
    IMHO: If we has scored more points we would have notched a couple more 'W's.