Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Re: Coach Nuss to interview at So. Miss...

We did pass more this year. It may have contributed to our losses.....But if our QB hits a few wide open receivers in those games the pass plays would be excellent calls.

Saban has been recruiting players to make a difference in the passing game since he came to Alabama. The way Alabama runs the ball, the QB needs to hit open receivers, especially when the call is clearly a good one. AJ had a bad game against A&M or we score easy in the early part of that game.

If AJ improves our pass game will be great next year, and we'll need to be balanced so the line doesn't have to block 8 man fronts.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    I have always liked CJS, but his Offenses drove me crazy.
    Seemed like the CJS teams would score just enough points, and let the Defense win the game.
    (Seems like he's always thought 28 pts was enough to win the game)
    Times have changed and so has the game...
    CJS was pretty successful with the 'sit on a lead' philosophy, but I hated it.
    IMHO: If we has scored more points we would have notched a couple more 'W's.

Who is CJS? If you are talking about Gene Stallings, that would be CGS.....

Jackie Sherrill is another story, but not a Bama HC

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    To be honest I would be shocked if Nuss was "encouraged" to be looking due to his play calling. I mean come on guys, it's not like it was atrocious. A little pass heavy at points in games? Sure, but outside of that I can tell you our deep passing game improved a million times over. It was balanced, aggressive and overall a success.
    Saban has always encouraged his assistants to interview for HC jobs, given the chance, just for the experience. According to a close family member, Nussmeier enjoys working with Saban and is learning a ton, so I'd be surprised if anything comes of this...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by IMALOYAL1 View Post
    We did pass more this year. It may have contributed to our losses.....But if our QB hits a few wide open receivers in those games the pass plays would be excellent calls.

Saban has been recruiting players to make a difference in the passing game since he came to Alabama. The way Alabama runs the ball, the QB needs to hit open receivers, especially when the call is clearly a good one. AJ had a bad game against A&M or we score easy in the early part of that game.

If AJ improves our pass game will be great next year, and we'll need to be balanced so the line doesn't have to block 8 man fronts.
    If I remember correctly, we only had one loss this year; and that loss had as much to do with our defense getting shell-shocked for a quarter as anything else. That was a total team loss from the coaching staff down, both sides of the ball.

I agree with others, we tended to get a little pass-heavy at times when it seemed we could steamroll the opponent with the run; but, overall, our offense performed really well this season.
    RTR

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamablood6 View Post
    Who is CJS? If you are talking about Gene Stallings, that would be CGS.....
    Jackie Sherrill is another story, but not a Bama HC

Sorry... I didn't proof read. Been up about 20 hrs and was out of it.

I graciously accept your criticism. I'll take 10 lashes with a wet noodle sir...
    I did mean CGS...
    (I do remember when Jackie castrated the bull at MSU thou... )
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; December 9th, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: additional Tom foolery...

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    I have always liked CJS, but his Offenses drove me crazy.
    Seemed like the CJS teams would score just enough points, and let the Defense win the game.
    (Seems like he's always thought 28 pts was enough to win the game)
    Times have changed and so has the game...
    CJS was pretty successful with the 'sit on a lead' philosophy, but I hated it.
    IMHO: If we has scored more points we would have notched a couple more 'W's.
    Hey... I was tired OK?

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    I never meant to insinuate he was encouraged. He might feel like he needs to be looking for himself. Not sure if everyone realizes this or not but CNS isn't the easiest person on earth to work for. Maybe he's tired of it already, maybe he hates the Black Warrior River, he may not like wearing crimson or maybe his wife hates the humidity. My point is we don't know what it could be, but maybe he feels like he needs to be looking for himself and his family.
    He definitely doesn't want to move to Hattiesburg if this is the case.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Tidesports.com says he has not interviewed for the Southern Miss job as of 4 pm Sunday afternoon.
    Bamabww

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by buzzincuzzin View Post
    FWIW....... Coach put a staff together in a hurry his first year. After that he's been beyond astute evaluating coaches except trading Sal for Lance.
    Sal left for a promotion. He could not go any higher here.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

We took Lance back to cover that position. Major step down for us.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzincuzzin View Post
    We took Lance back to cover that position. Major step down for us.
    I really can't agree with that. I was never a fan of bringing him back after his first stint with us, nor after his defection to UT. However, he's always been a good recruiter, only when backed by Saban as closer. From what I've come to understand, he's developed into a pretty good position coach, or he wouldn't have been retained by Saban...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I really can't agree with that. I was never a fan of bringing him back after his first stint with us, nor after his defection to UT. However, he's always been a good recruiter, only when backed by Saban as closer. From what I've come to understand, he's developed into a pretty good position coach, or he wouldn't have been retained by Saban...
    I don't understand the criticism of him from some people. He was the lead recruiter on several of our most important players from the 08 09 recruiting class that have been the backbone of this run. Barron, Julio, Trent, McCarron, Dre, Jerrel Harris, Lester and a few others I can't remember. If that alone was his contribution then he deserves serious respect.

Additionally, I refuse to believe that Saban is like Chizik and employs some incompetent position coach just for recruiting advantage. I'm also confused how people seem know his ability as a position coach. Are his critics at the practices? Have they seen the areas that he coaches suffer in player development?

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    I never meant to insinuate he was encouraged. He might feel like he needs to be looking for himself. Not sure if everyone realizes this or not but CNS isn't the easiest person on earth to work for. Maybe he's tired of it already, maybe he hates the Black Warrior River, he may not like wearing crimson or maybe his wife hates the humidity. My point is we don't know what it could be, but maybe he feels like he needs to be looking for himself and his family.
    Yeah, Southern Mississippi would be a great improvement on the humidity...