Coach Nuss to interview at So. Miss...

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
to back that up.... there were 4 games that werent double digit wins in 2010. Arky, South Carolina, Auburn, and LSU. There were 3 games this year that weren't double digit wins LSU a&m, and Georgia.

2010 stats against those teams: 26.75 points allowed pg, 377 total yards allowed pg

2012 stats against those teams: 24.67 points allowed pg, 415.7 total yards allowed pg

the only single digit game in 2011 was LSU in ttown- 9 points allowed , 239 yards allowed. including overtime.

This defense is not as good as the overall stats indicate. It just didnt play down to its competition at all, hence the shutouts and the overall numbers. it is much closer to 2010 than 2011. this offense got us in the NC game. Do not forget that.

Last edited:

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
FWIW....... Coach put a staff together in a hurry his first year. After that he's been beyond astute evaluating coaches except trading Sal for Lance.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
Lets not forget McElwain, for as good as he had been for us in SECCG and BCSCG settings, had some real stinkers in the regular season too: '09 Tennessee, '11 LSU, etc.
The 08 SECCG too. When UF scored to go ahead of us late in the game we threw on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. Almost like he may have panicked a little. Running the ball had been successful all night. That being said all OC and DC have that learnig curve. There was discussions on this board during McElwain's first and second years and we went 11-2 and 13-0. Nobody is going to agree with ever call. They get paid to do the best they can. Sometimes its hard to break old habits. But ask this question was there any complaining about McElwain's play calling in the BCSNG last year??????? I think not. One of the best play called games I have witnessed in a long time.

On a lesser and much smaller scale I had to learn the same lessons over the last 10 years as a DC and OC in high school football. I'm feel like I'm a much better playcaller today that I was 10 years ago when I got my first opportunity. My head coach thinks the same thing ;-) Those lesson as not always pleasant. Nothing like getting chewed out the whole time the defense is on the field when an int cost us an opportunity to put the game out of reach in the 4th. BTW it was a slant call on the 3 yard line on 1st and goal. Learned a valuable lesson that night. RUN THE FOOTBALL

to back that up.... there were 4 games that werent double digit wins in 2010. Arky, South Carolina, Auburn, and LSU. There were 3 games this year that weren't double digit wins LSU a&m, and Georgia.

2010 stats against those teams: 26.75 points allowed pg, 377 total yards allowed pg

2012 stats against those teams: 24.67 points allowed pg, 415.7 total yards allowed pg

the only single digit game in 2011 was LSU in ttown- 9 points allowed , 239 yards allowed. including overtime.

This defense is not as good as the overall stats indicate. It just didnt play down to its competition at all, hence the shutouts and the overall numbers. it is much closer to 2010 than 2011. this offense got us in the NC game. Do not forget that.
You sure they did?! I'm not so sure they did. I see plenty of mistakes on both sides of the ball. To say the offense won it when we saw a tipped ball by the defense who after they thought it was done and had to somehow ratchet back up and go out there and close out is very short sighted of you. You forget the injuries to Williams. You forget the blocked fog try that went for the touchdown. You've gotta look at it as a whole. We should have blown UGA out the water. Timely mistakes by all three phases almost cost us, but they overcame it. Offense doesn't score unless the defense stops them.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm all for passing offense. The problem is that I think in long stretches of the LSU and TAMU games Alabama was completely out of balance...and most of their successful drives were the few times they got behind the run game. I like seeing good balance...maybe not 50-50 playcalling but a true threat of either out of any formation or personnel.

I think most teams anticipate us to come out passing now...even going back to the McElwain days. I think we need to be cognizant of the looks we're getting out of the gate instead of just going to down the sheet. If we come out against Notre Dame and the safety is down in the box and the OLBs are cheating in, it's time to run some of the bootleg action stuff seen against LSU the last championship. If we're getting a more balanced look from the defense, we need to punch them in the mouth.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
I like the offense this year and want to keep Coach N. However, I (like some of those here) think we've thrown the ball too much at times this year. Something that I believe gets overlooked - our stats are skewed by the fact that in many of the games have been blowouts in the first half and we've run clock late. In some of those games the bench has been cleared and we're handing off lots. When the talking heads say we have perfect balance, do we have perfect balance throughout the game?

We always seem to lead with the pass and go to the run late. After LSU and A&M, I told everyone I talked to that we'd make GA stop the run and then go play action. I was really surprised with what we did offensively in the first half.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned when you all are comparing stats here. Do we have more and better quality depth on the roster this year? Are our skill positions better now than 2010 or other previous years under CJM? Is our QB situation better now than it's been since (having a hard time putting down a year here...a long time)? Our numbers are better, but shouldn't they be?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Geez. Some of y'all won't be happy unless we're playing Stallings ball.
I have always liked CJS, but his Offenses drove me crazy.
Seemed like the CJS teams would score just enough points, and let the Defense win the game.
(Seems like he's always thought 28 pts was enough to win the game)
Times have changed and so has the game...
CJS was pretty successful with the 'sit on a lead' philosophy, but I hated it.
IMHO: If we has scored more points we would have notched a couple more 'W's.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
We did pass more this year. It may have contributed to our losses.....But if our QB hits a few wide open receivers in those games the pass plays would be excellent calls.

Saban has been recruiting players to make a difference in the passing game since he came to Alabama. The way Alabama runs the ball, the QB needs to hit open receivers, especially when the call is clearly a good one. AJ had a bad game against A&M or we score easy in the early part of that game.

If AJ improves our pass game will be great next year, and we'll need to be balanced so the line doesn't have to block 8 man fronts.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Seemed like the CJS teams would score just enough points, and let the Defense win the game.

Who is CJS? If you are talking about Gene Stallings, that would be CGS.....

Jackie Sherrill is another story, but not a Bama HC :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To be honest I would be shocked if Nuss was "encouraged" to be looking due to his play calling. I mean come on guys, it's not like it was atrocious. A little pass heavy at points in games? Sure, but outside of that I can tell you our deep passing game improved a million times over. It was balanced, aggressive and overall a success.
Saban has always encouraged his assistants to interview for HC jobs, given the chance, just for the experience. According to a close family member, Nussmeier enjoys working with Saban and is learning a ton, so I'd be surprised if anything comes of this...

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
We did pass more this year. It may have contributed to our losses.....But if our QB hits a few wide open receivers in those games the pass plays would be excellent calls.

Saban has been recruiting players to make a difference in the passing game since he came to Alabama. The way Alabama runs the ball, the QB needs to hit open receivers, especially when the call is clearly a good one. AJ had a bad game against A&M or we score easy in the early part of that game.

If AJ improves our pass game will be great next year, and we'll need to be balanced so the line doesn't have to block 8 man fronts.
If I remember correctly, we only had one loss this year; and that loss had as much to do with our defense getting shell-shocked for a quarter as anything else. That was a total team loss from the coaching staff down, both sides of the ball.

I agree with others, we tended to get a little pass-heavy at times when it seemed we could steamroll the opponent with the run; but, overall, our offense performed really well this season.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Who is CJS? If you are talking about Gene Stallings, that would be CGS.....
Jackie Sherrill is another story, but not a Bama HC :)

Sorry... I didn't proof read. Been up about 20 hrs and was out of it.
:(
I graciously accept your criticism. I'll take 10 lashes with a wet noodle sir...
I did mean CGS...
(I do remember when Jackie castrated the bull at MSU thou... ;))

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Hey... I was tired OK?

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I never meant to insinuate he was encouraged. He might feel like he needs to be looking for himself. Not sure if everyone realizes this or not but CNS isn't the easiest person on earth to work for. Maybe he's tired of it already, maybe he hates the Black Warrior River, he may not like wearing crimson or maybe his wife hates the humidity. My point is we don't know what it could be, but maybe he feels like he needs to be looking for himself and his family.
He definitely doesn't want to move to Hattiesburg if this is the case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.