Coach Nuss to interview at So. Miss...

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
I'd hate to see him leave at this point. I think he has done a fine job as a first year OC. Given the level of talent, imagine where we could be with a few years of continuity.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
He's a young guy he would do well to hang in there. If does there will be better jobs than USM that come along later. And honestly he might learn a thing or two along the way about how to build balanced offense and how to respond to the tempo of a game (whether you should dominate with the run or pass).

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
I disliked Nuss very much for not running the ball whatsoever on first and goal in the A&M game. I still think we run we win in that one. Then when no one on the face of the planet was expecting that deep ball to Cooper in the SECCG, he dialed it up and won the game. Maybe he's great, maybe he's not. But, I think if he leaves then his replacement will be just as successful if not more so. I've never played or coached a down in my life, but I think I could take Bama's offense and score enough points for the defense to win 10+ games. Bottom line is this: As long as Saban is running the show, we will have the best coordinators possible.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
On a positive note (since Alabama is in the BCSCG anyway), the loss to aTm probably spared America from more ND adulation on Saturday night, as it propelled Manziel into the lead in the Heisman race.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Coach Nuss had his regrettable moments at times in the LSU and TAMU games, but on the balance he has done a lot for the offense this season. He shows far more agression in his playcalling than McElwain. I think Nuss has been an overall improvement on our offense but every once and a while a good coach will have games like TAMU where they over-think things and get away from the team's strengths too much. I didn't really like the LSU gameplan outside the second quarter (without considering the planned out 2-minute scenario they had for LSU). The TAMU game was more of the same: too much passing on early downs in the first quarter, got back into the game with the run in the second, then abandoned it again in the second half.

Lets not forget McElwain, for as good as he had been for us in SECCG and BCSCG settings, had some real stinkers in the regular season too: '09 Tennessee, '11 LSU, etc. Even Saban has a bad day at the office every once and a while and the coordinators are no different. Nuss was probably just a little slow on realizing the adjustments teams were making against our passing game. He got in a mental lock that teams were going to stop at nothing to prevent the run and assumed passing would be open all day. More teams have been playing with less guys around the LOS lately because we've legitimized the vertical threat and we needed to do what we did to UGA to open up the down field passing.

I hope against Notre Dame that we'll come out in power looks early and get a gauge on how they will play us. Starting the first quarter in spread-like looks has almost become expected by the opponents and it is not producing the same effects it once did.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
While the OL will need some work, consider that we'll be returning

AJ at QB

Amari Cooper, Chris Black, Kenny Bell, and others at WR

TJ, Drake, Fowler, and God knows who else at RB

What OC in his right mind walks away from that?

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Coach Nuss has done a great job in his first year in this program and in the SEC. I think his first year was much better than McElwain's. He will only get better and I, for one, appreciate all he has done.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree with AT. While it was a little rough at times this year ( chalk it up to moving from the arena-12 to the SEC) Nuss has done a great job with our offense. We have a QB with almost thirty passing tds, two running backs with one thousand yards rushing, and a true freshman wideout with almost one thousand yards receiving. We have utilized our strength, and improved tremendously on our play-action and vertical passing game. If you're going to hate on the guy for what he's done wrong, its only right that you praise him for what he's done right.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I like Nuss and think he is a great coach. I still think we need to run the football more though. IMO LSU, TAMU & Georgia all got off too easy because our stubborness towards the passing game. I guess that is easy to say for me since I'm the one on the couch and he's at the stadium making the big bucks. :D

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I think Coach Nuss had his regrettable moments at times in the LSU and TAMU games, but on the balance he has done a lot for the offense this season. He shows far more agression in his playcalling than McElwain. I think Nuss has been an overall improvement on our offense but every once and a while a good coach will have games like TAMU where they over-think things and get away from the team's strengths too much. I didn't really like the LSU gameplan outside the second quarter (without considering the planned out 2-minute scenario they had for LSU). The TAMU game was more of the same: too much passing on early downs in the first quarter, got back into the game with the run in the second, then abandoned it again in the second half.

Lets not forget McElwain, for as good as he had been for us in SECCG and BCSCG settings, had some real stinkers in the regular season too: '09 Tennessee, '11 LSU, etc. Even Saban has a bad day at the office every once and a while and the coordinators are no different. Nuss was probably just a little slow on realizing the adjustments teams were making against our passing game. He got in a mental lock that teams were going to stop at nothing to prevent the run and assumed passing would be open all day. More teams have been playing with less guys around the LOS lately because we've legitimized the vertical threat and we needed to do what we did to UGA to open up the down field passing.

I hope against Notre Dame that we'll come out in power looks early and get a gauge on how they will play us. Starting the first quarter in spread-like looks has almost become expected by the opponents and it is not producing the same effects it once did.
I agree with this last part. Run right at them early in the game and see what happens.

Also, I don't know what your football background is, rgw, but I do enjoy your perspectives.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
people tend to forget that ingram had 16 attempts for 30 yards against Auburn in 09, and that McElroy had 53 yards passing against Texas. No OC is money every time out. None of them.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I don't think Nussmeyer would be missed.
Nuss has done an excellent job. He would be missed. There are many records set or "firsts" for our O:
1) First time with 2 1,000 yd backs.
2) First time with over 500 pts in a season.
3) AJ has had the best single season in Bama history (while playing most of the season with injuries).
4) He has utilized a good, yet injury ridden WR corps very well. He deserves at least some of the credit for Amari's development (with Groh).

Too many Bama fans judge his work by one series. We are 12-1, won the SEC, and headed back to the NC under his playcalling. So, yes, he would be missed. We have been fortunate to have two good OCs in a row. Just think back to the Dave Rader or Applewhite days in terms of terrible offensive coaching and execution. Yes, there is more talent but we are also much more disciplined and balanced. :BigA:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Speaking of Applewhite I was looking up single season Bama records. The attempts record set by JPW in 2007 made me shake my head in disgust. He has something like 120 more than the next closest. It's easy to see why Saban did not like the way that he ran the offense. Looking at those records was really interesting we have like 7 games with 300+ yards passing.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
you judge HC's on entirely on wins and losses, but you judge coordinators on stats mostly. Statistically, Nuss is the best offensive coordinator Alabama has ever had. I'm not saying he is, but the numbers are completely in his favor. If you put this offense with the 2009 or 2011 defense, we dont win a game by less than 17.

We can sit in our recliners and criticize all we want, but the fact is that this defense against good offenses is closer to 2010 than 2011. Nuss overcame that obstacle.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The concern I always have about new coordinators is that you don't always hit home runs. Look at long-running programs in Texas and Oklahoma. They've had a brain drain and are struggling to regain the same dominance they had early in each coach's tenure. Eventually, you hire a guy who is a stinker...and we've been very fortunate to hire two solid OCs in a row.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.