Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Third Team

Collage Award Show - the Notre Dame Special

This show was truly a Notre Dame promo. I think Dee and Barrett got the shaft. We have the best OL and a top notch defense. ESPN definately provided us with a Notre Dame commercial. We'll see in January if our TEAM can beat the one man Tao show. Does ND have any other players? RTR!! Looking for #15!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Collage Award Show - the Notre Dame Special

I think this kind of stuff really works to our advantage, overall. I wish the players would get all the accolades they deserve, but I think there's a danger that comes with it as well, especially when you enter the game favored already. It serves as a both a reminder that ND is good and as a motivation that there is still much to prove. Saban will use it...

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

Last year was the LSU show. With all their awards and Miles won the coach of the year. We all know how that turned out. No worries...
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Third Team

Oh, I agree with that!! Too many times, winners of these awards lose their focus when they get back on the field. This Bama team has such fine young men. There is no doubt they will give the NC everything they have to give. I have watched many great Bama teams throughout my 64 years, but this group is extra special. After the NC, I will miss watching them play every Saturday. RTR!

Super Moderator

I get MT is a great player and all... but the best player in the nation? These things have almost gotten to the point of politics.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I will take a CRYSTAL trophy in January over ALL the individual awards. ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation First Team

If you want to see the greatest example of media groupthink and idiocy, look at the coach of the year awards. Basically, you're ineligible if you turn a program into a behemoth (read: Nick Saban) but a favorite if you beat pre-season (media!) expectations and slide into a bowl game (read: Hugh Freeze).

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Honestly, Te'o is about on par with all the other great ILBs to come out of college the last 4-5 years. His interceptions are the only real differentiation between McClain's '09 season and Te'o's '12 season. McClain had more sacks and TFLs than Te'o in that season though. In a resurgent year for Notre Dame, the media needed some face to attach to their success and he was really the only one that stood out. This is no offense to his ability, he's clearly going to be the first ILB off the board this April in the draft.

I don't think Te'o is that much better than Spikes at Florida, Herzlich and Kuechly at Boston College, or McClain and Hightower at Alabama. None of those guys sniffed the kind of awards this guy was up for and won.

I had to turn it off.It was making me sick.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Te'o doesn't even have to win the Heisman and he's already the most single season awards in CFB history. The crime here is that I'm not even sure he's in the top 200 CFB players of all time.

This year alone Te'o has won the:

Lombardi Trophy
    Nagurski Trophy
    Walter Camp Award
    Maxwell Trophy
    Butkus Award
    Bednarik Award

It's silly the awards being reaped upon this kid. He seems like a high character guy and he's a heck of a player, but he's not head and shoulders above everyone else. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I could name 10 better defenders in the SEC alone.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I can understand him getting one of the "outstanding player" award tonight but Klein or Manziel. The narrative made it likely...but he practically won every defensive award a man could get and every overall outstanding player award.

That is ridiculous for a guy who's production isn't anything better than what we get out of our best ILBs under Saban. Great player, but this would be like Rolando McClain getting every award in the 2009 show. You mean to tell me that Jarvis Jones, who put up better numbers in only 10 games, could not win one of those defensive awards?

Hell, I'm surprised he didn't win the Thorpe Trophy because his "awesome stat" is that he has more INTs than any corner in the nation.

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar

Is Notre Dame known for putting together really good collages? I don't know much about UA's collage making program so I could see them getting the nod if they're good with them.

Last edited by MattinBama; December 6th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I can understand him getting one of the "outstanding player" award tonight but Klein or Manziel. The narrative made it likely...but he practically won every defensive award a man could get and every overall outstanding player award.

That is ridiculous for a guy who's production isn't anything better than what we get out of our best ILBs under Saban. Great player, but this would be like Rolando McClain getting every award in the 2009 show. You mean to tell me that Jarvis Jones, who put up better numbers in only 10 games, could not win one of those defensive awards?
    It has become a popularity contest. He is a good "story", with a catchy name and playing in the NC. Almost like Tyrann last year. I have a feeling I will be muting the TV and listening to Eli during the game.

We will have Brent say.... "Mmmm... Manti ....Te'o" and he will have a new obsession.
    Roll Tide