Collage Award Show - the Notre Dame Special

mommap

Mar 4, 2011
:BigA: This show was truly a Notre Dame promo. I think Dee and Barrett got the shaft. We have the best OL and a top notch defense. ESPN definately provided us with a Notre Dame commercial. We'll see in January if our TEAM can beat the one man Tao show. Does ND have any other players? RTR!! Looking for #15!!!

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
I think this kind of stuff really works to our advantage, overall. I wish the players would get all the accolades they deserve, but I think there's a danger that comes with it as well, especially when you enter the game favored already. It serves as a both a reminder that ND is good and as a motivation that there is still much to prove. Saban will use it...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Last year was the LSU show. With all their awards and Miles won the coach of the year. We all know how that turned out. No worries...

mommap

Mar 4, 2011
Oh, I agree with that!! Too many times, winners of these awards lose their focus when they get back on the field. This Bama team has such fine young men. There is no doubt they will give the NC everything they have to give. I have watched many great Bama teams throughout my 64 years, but this group is extra special. After the NC, I will miss watching them play every Saturday. RTR!

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
If you want to see the greatest example of media groupthink and idiocy, look at the coach of the year awards. Basically, you're ineligible if you turn a program into a behemoth (read: Nick Saban) but a favorite if you beat pre-season (media!) expectations and slide into a bowl game (read: Hugh Freeze).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Honestly, Te'o is about on par with all the other great ILBs to come out of college the last 4-5 years. His interceptions are the only real differentiation between McClain's '09 season and Te'o's '12 season. McClain had more sacks and TFLs than Te'o in that season though. In a resurgent year for Notre Dame, the media needed some face to attach to their success and he was really the only one that stood out. This is no offense to his ability, he's clearly going to be the first ILB off the board this April in the draft.

I don't think Te'o is that much better than Spikes at Florida, Herzlich and Kuechly at Boston College, or McClain and Hightower at Alabama. None of those guys sniffed the kind of awards this guy was up for and won.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Te'o doesn't even have to win the Heisman and he's already the most single season awards in CFB history. The crime here is that I'm not even sure he's in the top 200 CFB players of all time.

This year alone Te'o has won the:

Lombardi Trophy
Nagurski Trophy
Walter Camp Award
Maxwell Trophy
Butkus Award
Bednarik Award

It's silly the awards being reaped upon this kid. He seems like a high character guy and he's a heck of a player, but he's not head and shoulders above everyone else. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I could name 10 better defenders in the SEC alone.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I can understand him getting one of the "outstanding player" award tonight but Klein or Manziel. The narrative made it likely...but he practically won every defensive award a man could get and every overall outstanding player award.

That is ridiculous for a guy who's production isn't anything better than what we get out of our best ILBs under Saban. Great player, but this would be like Rolando McClain getting every award in the 2009 show. You mean to tell me that Jarvis Jones, who put up better numbers in only 10 games, could not win one of those defensive awards?

Hell, I'm surprised he didn't win the Thorpe Trophy because his "awesome stat" is that he has more INTs than any corner in the nation.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Is Notre Dame known for putting together really good collages? I don't know much about UA's collage making program so I could see them getting the nod if they're good with them.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I can understand him getting one of the "outstanding player" award tonight but Klein or Manziel. The narrative made it likely...but he practically won every defensive award a man could get and every overall outstanding player award.

That is ridiculous for a guy who's production isn't anything better than what we get out of our best ILBs under Saban. Great player, but this would be like Rolando McClain getting every award in the 2009 show. You mean to tell me that Jarvis Jones, who put up better numbers in only 10 games, could not win one of those defensive awards?
It has become a popularity contest. He is a good "story", with a catchy name and playing in the NC. Almost like Tyrann last year. I have a feeling I will be muting the TV and listening to Eli during the game.

We will have Brent say.... "Mmmm... Manti ....Te'o" and he will have a new obsession. :)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
The kid from Mississippi St (the one who was out of position and burned all night against us) won the Thorpe Award (nation's top DB) over Milliner. Please take a second and laugh with me at that nonsense.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The kid from Mississippi St (the one who was out of position and burned all night against us) won the Thorpe Award (nation's top DB) over Milliner. Please take a second and laugh with me at that nonsense.
Let's all laugh at the fact Manti Te'o, a better pass interceptor than any corner in the nation, didn't win the Thorpe Award! What a crock!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I thought one of the biggest crimes is that Warmack wasn't up for any awards. Everyone in the media consistently says he is the best OL on our line and will be the highest drafted yet he wasn't up for a single award. He has been a first team all american on almost every list I've seen.

Banks winning it to me is a bit of a shocker. It must have been a down year for CB if he is the winner. I know he made big plays when they were winning but I didn't hear much out of him once their schedule got real.

There is no way that Teo is deserving of all these awards it just became laughable after a few. Clowney and Jones could have at least been thrown an award.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
ILB INTs, frankly, are almost always either a fluke - tip pass - or due to a good call from the sideline. It's not like he was running 20-30 yards down field and judging these balls in the air like a corner. He was sitting in a short zone and the QB didn't see him or their was a tip allowing him to dive for it or run up under the carom.

This is literally the one amazing stat he has in his favor over recent past great college ILBs, yet he is getting treated like he's the combination of Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, and Aldon Smith all in one package.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.