Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    well all I can say is that UK and UT have the better two coaches out of the SEC coaching search. Arkansas just cashed in for a name that is going to have to learn how not to be a "gentleman" when it comes to recruiting, and auburn turns to a Camless Gus malazhan who immediatly hires Ellis Johnson thus continuing the Gene Chizik era of no defense and lacking offense. Jones and Stoops will need to hire competent people around them and success will follow
    I disagree... I would take any of the coaches over Jones, who has to arguably be the most overrated coaches on the market. They should have just held out and waited, I think a better situation would have presented itself...

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Tennessee has hired Butch Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    Jones, who has to arguably be the most overrated coaches on the market..
    How so?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From a P.R. standpoint most colleges replacing a coach blow it right off the bat as far as getting the fan base behind them.
    Example: Butch Jones may possibly be a very good coach and a good hire for UT. We'll find out.
    But when your initial list of possible replacements released to the media is Gruden, Chris Pedersen, Charlie Strong, Vince Lombardi, Bear Bryant, and Nick Saban(exaggerating but you get my drift)...and they all turn the job down, whoever takes the job is considered to be.."Well we had to hire somebody." and he's on the spot to win big almost immediately. If he doesn't do so after a couple of years the fans are going to turn against him and you might as well start a new search committee. They are not going to give an unproven coach the time to build a program like they would a proven one.
    So why not just shut up, find the guy you feel you should hire who will actually accept the job, and then announce it like you've just discovered the greatest secret in college football history?
    Makes sense to me. I know with all the info available now, it's tough. But I'd certainly at least try.
    sip

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing....I honestly think if the Yankees replace their manager before the beginning of next Baseball season that Gruden will be the front running candidate lol

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    How so?
    He's never built a team... His two head coaching stops have followed Brian Kelly building a program, then him taking it over. Even Chizik won a national title, through no fault of his own. Until he proves something, he's no better a hire then a coordinator at a top flight program.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Sumlin was a first year HC at aTm this year.
    Good point, but Chizik won a NC with a really hot QB...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This is completely an upgrade. Tennessee is not in a position tochallenge the big boys anytime soon because the SEC landscape has changed considerably since they were relevant. This can get them back to relevance, and occasionally good status. Every football person who knows this guys says he is the real deal. The hire doesn't scare me, but he I think given the state of the Tennessee program this is a good hire and is in the realm of what they should have been pursuing all along.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
    Who would have thought that UK would get a better hire the both UT and AU.

I've never understood why teams rush to hire someone in early December. I understand the recruiting aspect but Bama didn't hire Saban until January and everything has worked out just fine. If you'd wait until after the bowl games you'd probably have a few more options, some coaches just don't want to leave there current teams before the bowl game.
    With all due respect, we didn't hire Saban until January because Rich Rod backed out at the last minute. Thank you queen of the aqua net.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusTide View Post
    With all due respect, we didn't hire Saban until January because Rich Rod backed out at the last minute. Thank you queen of the aqua net.
    Saban would not even entertain the discussion until the season in Miami was over.

And for the record, Mal Moore quite deftly 'offered' the job to RichRod - once I found out the real story, I was amazed at his 'political' abilities. He knew what he was doing the whole time...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusTide View Post
    This is completely an upgrade. Tennessee is not in a position tochallenge the big boys anytime soon because the SEC landscape has changed considerably since they were relevant. This can get them back to relevance, and occasionally good status. Every football person who knows this guys says he is the real deal. The hire doesn't scare me, but he I think given the state of the Tennessee program this is a good hire and is in the realm of what they should have been pursuing all along.
    I agree with Columbus Tide on UT hiring Butch Jones. IMO he is a better hire than either Malzahn or Stoops and on par with Bielema. All of these new HCs are going to struggle because this is the SEC. If I recall there were a lot of posters on here who made fun of Brian Kelly and ND when he was hired from Cincinnati.

UT finally came to the reality that if they are to climb back into
    contention they are going to have to rebuild from the ground up and had to have and experienced head who wanted to be in Knoxville. It was not a rock star, but it is a good start.
    Last edited by GrayTide; December 7th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Sumlin was a first year HC at aTm this year.
    He was HC at Houston for several years, and took them 12-0 in 2011.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    He's never built a team... His two head coaching stops have followed Brian Kelly building a program, then him taking it over. Even Chizik won a national title, through no fault of his own. Until he proves something, he's no better a hire then a coordinator at a top flight program.
    And Gus Malzahn replaced Hugh Freeze for one season. Freeze was 10-2 in his one year at Arkansas State. Neither of them built a program.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Second Team scoretide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    I see Karma's still hanging out in Knoxvegas.

Love it! Roll Tide!
    Karma is the gift that keeps on giving !
    "saban has awoken a sleeping GIANT"