Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    A TN fan must have edited Jones' wiki page. This is what they entered about his hire at TN:
    Any chance you have a screen shot of this?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    Sleepy on TideFans.com

Tennessee has hired Butch Jones

Who?!
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: Tennessee has hired Butch Jones

Can anyone on here truthfully admit they saw the Bielema hire at Arkansas? Why does this not happen all the time when a school is trying to hire a new HC? I understand the fans, the internet and the media float all kinds of names, but in the vast majority of the cases none of the names are hired or even interviewed. Think of all the names we heard for the Arkansas job; Petersen, Miles, Briles, Gundy, Tuberville, Franklin, Butch Davis, etc. then out of nowhere they hire Brett Bielema. It appears Jeff Long knew who he wanted for the job all along and kept it extremely lose to the vest. I really like it when a new HC is announced with total secrecy up to his introduction. Also I love it when the sports media and the espn so called experts are blindsided.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by chattabama12 View Post
    Any chance you have a screen shot of this?
    Sorry, I do not. I did a cut/paste from the wiki page. I see that it has since been edited out.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    And Gus Malzahn replaced Hugh Freeze for one season. Freeze was 10-2 in his one year at Arkansas State. Neither of them built a program.
    Hugh Freeze was a good FIT for Ole Miss, no matter his record. He knew the Mississippi land scape, had been a head coach (although all on a college level) for almost 15 years.

Malzahn fits the same mold. He had 13 years of Head Coaching experience (albeit the High School level) before jumping to Arkansas. He does only have one year of Head Coaching experience at the college level, but he fits well at Auburn. He knows the lay of the land, and is primarily responsible for Auburn's success from 2008-2011.

Butch Jones came up through the ranks, under the tuttledge of...wait for it...RICH RODRIGUEZ. He had his first head coaching job at Central Michigan. Brian Kelly had taken a Central Michigan team who had been to two bowl games in their history, and took them from 11 consecutive losing seasons to bowl eligibility. After he had a couple of classes under his belt, in steps Butch Jones to take over the already succesful program. Very similar at his next stop, where Kelly took a team who had been okay (7-8 wins a year), but had only ONE conference championship in the last 42 years at the time. Kelly won two Big East championships, and went to back to back BCS Bowls...and handed the keys to Jones. Who had a bad first year (4-8), but maintained reasonable success...even backing in to a conference championship this year...

Sounds like a desperate hire for Tennesse, when the other school's got one of their primary targets...

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Malzahn ws not at au in 2008.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Malzahn ws not at au in 2008.
    Meant 2009...

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

Mediocrity is destined to remain the color of monkey urine orange.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Related?

Wrong side of the family. I think he is closer to

BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar

According to the ajc butch jones said at his initial introductory press conference that he was taking over the best college football program in america. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ive spent some time on Rocky Top Talk reading their articles on this hire. They've written five or six on it. They are less than thrilled to say the least. I cant blame them. If this were Bama circa 2006, I would be upset with this hire. He very well may be a great fit at UT, but the UT fan base doesnt think so. My favorite comment was "AD is Bama guy and the Chancellor is a UF guy. They are working together to keep us in mediocrity."

BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

Part of the lyrics of Rocky Top reference a girl, half bear and half cat. They bring a coach from Cincinnati, the Bearcats.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Good point, but Chizik won a NC with a really hot QB...
    I didn't realize how you viewed Cam...

PS: no harm meant, just couldn't resist...