Tennessee has hired Butch Jones

tnbamaman

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2012
I'm very glad they didn't get KS. They could have done a lot worse than Jones. I heard last night they were talking to Rich Rod. I was hoping they would either hire him or fat Phil. Both would be great hires.....for the rest of the SEC.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He uses the HUNH offenses. That means Bama will face at least 4 next season. After facing it twice this season, I think I know what CNS will do during the off season.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
When Gruden, Strong, Smart, and who knows who else all look at that puke orange and say , "Uh, no thanks" who else are you going hire but some up and coming mid-tier coach from a mid-tier conference.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
well all I can say is that UK and UT have the better two coaches out of the SEC coaching search. Arkansas just cashed in for a name that is going to have to learn how not to be a "gentleman" when it comes to recruiting, and auburn turns to a Camless Gus malazhan who immediatly hires Ellis Johnson thus continuing the Gene Chizik era of no defense and lacking offense. Jones and Stoops will need to hire competent people around them and success will follow

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Who would have thought that UK would get a better hire the both UT and AU.

I've never understood why teams rush to hire someone in early December. I understand the recruiting aspect but Bama didn't hire Saban until January and everything has worked out just fine. If you'd wait until after the bowl games you'd probably have a few more options, some coaches just don't want to leave there current teams before the bowl game.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
well all I can say is that UK and UT have the better two coaches out of the SEC coaching search. Arkansas just cashed in for a name that is going to have to learn how not to be a "gentleman" when it comes to recruiting, and auburn turns to a Camless Gus malazhan who immediatly hires Ellis Johnson thus continuing the Gene Chizik era of no defense and lacking offense. Jones and Stoops will need to hire competent people around them and success will follow
I disagree... I would take any of the coaches over Jones, who has to arguably be the most overrated coaches on the market. They should have just held out and waited, I think a better situation would have presented itself...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
From a P.R. standpoint most colleges replacing a coach blow it right off the bat as far as getting the fan base behind them.
Example: Butch Jones may possibly be a very good coach and a good hire for UT. We'll find out.
But when your initial list of possible replacements released to the media is Gruden, Chris Pedersen, Charlie Strong, Vince Lombardi, Bear Bryant, and Nick Saban(exaggerating but you get my drift)...and they all turn the job down, whoever takes the job is considered to be.."Well we had to hire somebody." and he's on the spot to win big almost immediately. If he doesn't do so after a couple of years the fans are going to turn against him and you might as well start a new search committee. They are not going to give an unproven coach the time to build a program like they would a proven one.
So why not just shut up, find the guy you feel you should hire who will actually accept the job, and then announce it like you've just discovered the greatest secret in college football history?
Makes sense to me. I know with all the info available now, it's tough. But I'd certainly at least try.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
One more thing....I honestly think if the Yankees replace their manager before the beginning of next Baseball season that Gruden will be the front running candidate lol

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
He's never built a team... His two head coaching stops have followed Brian Kelly building a program, then him taking it over. Even Chizik won a national title, through no fault of his own. Until he proves something, he's no better a hire then a coordinator at a top flight program.

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
This is completely an upgrade. Tennessee is not in a position tochallenge the big boys anytime soon because the SEC landscape has changed considerably since they were relevant. This can get them back to relevance, and occasionally good status. Every football person who knows this guys says he is the real deal. The hire doesn't scare me, but he I think given the state of the Tennessee program this is a good hire and is in the realm of what they should have been pursuing all along.

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
Who would have thought that UK would get a better hire the both UT and AU.

I've never understood why teams rush to hire someone in early December. I understand the recruiting aspect but Bama didn't hire Saban until January and everything has worked out just fine. If you'd wait until after the bowl games you'd probably have a few more options, some coaches just don't want to leave there current teams before the bowl game.
With all due respect, we didn't hire Saban until January because Rich Rod backed out at the last minute. Thank you queen of the aqua net.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.