Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Play calling?

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Play calling?

I know from reading most of the post that fans have mixed feeling's towards Nussmeier. My question is given the fact that in the SEC championship game we had more success running rather than passing, does this constitute to the fact we had not done that all year as regularly as we had in the past? Rewind to the past 5 season's where Bama's mindset was pound the rock, pound the rock and sprinkle a little play action in every now and then. On third down's I remember always knowing it would be a screen-pass to Upchurch or Ingram. Teams quickly started loading the box and stopping the run. IMO without our great defense these games could have gone sour (See Tennessee 09 for example) My other initial question is if we hadn't had a pass first then run mentality this season on first down at least could our defense have looked more like 2010 when we needed our offense to carry us. All in all I believe the mixture of play-calling has carried the offense and helped bring along our defense to put us back in the national championship. JMO would love to hear other's thought's on this. RTR.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: Play calling?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderollin32 View Post
    I know from reading most of the post that fans have mixed feeling's towards Nussmeier. My question is given the fact that in the SEC championship game we had more success running rather than passing, does this constitute to the fact we had not done that all year as regularly as we had in the past? Rewind to the past 5 season's where Bama's mindset was pound the rock, pound the rock and sprinkle a little play action in every now and then. On third down's I remember always knowing it would be a screen-pass to Upchurch or Ingram. Teams quickly started loading the box and stopping the run. IMO without our great defense these games could have gone sour (See Tennessee 09 for example) My other initial question is if we hadn't had a pass first then run mentality this season on first down at least could our defense have looked more like 2010 when we needed our offense to carry us. All in all I believe the mixture of play-calling has carried the offense and helped bring along our defense to put us back in the national championship. JMO would love to hear other's thought's on this. RTR.
    I hope it depends on a scouting report and match-ups. On either side of the coin you can't be "stubborn" in the coaching profession. I think Mike Gottfried found that out during his basketball tenure.

You lean toward your strength, but you can't ignore strategy.
    Last edited by Ldlane; December 7th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

FACT: Alabama has two 1,000 yard rushers for the first time ever.

FACT: Alabama has more rushing yards and TD's (2,920 and 35) than passing yards and TD's (2,788 and 27)

FACT: The 2012 offense has put up more TD's rushing AND passing (35 rush, 27 pass) in 13 games this year than the 2011 National Champs (34 rush, 16 pass) under McElwain.

FACT: Alabama has MORE RUSHING YARDS (2,920) AND ATTEMPTS (525) IN 2012 THAN 2011 (2,788 yards on 508 attempts)

Now, that the truth is out there... can we please congratulate Nussmeier on being an EXTREMELY successful hire? Outside of what, in retrospect, was a poor series of play calling at the end of the A&M game, he has improved our offensive efficiency in every way. We're also 12-1... same as last year, but this time we got an SEC championship and a shot at Notre Dame.
    Last edited by cmmiller711; December 7th, 2012 at 08:39 AM.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    I hope it depends on a scouting report and match-ups. On either side of the coin you can't be "stubborn" in the coaching profession. I think Mike Gottfried found that out during his basketball tenure.

You lean toward your strength, but you can't ignore strategy.
    This was my concern - your coaches seem to get stuck on a game plan when it becomes clear that something else is working better. Seems that Saban "forced" the change in game plan against GA. That should not be necessary.

BamaNation All-American Airborne Tider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    This was my concern - your coaches seem to get stuck on a game plan when it becomes clear that something else is working better. Seems that Saban "forced" the change in game plan against GA. That should not be necessary.
    I have had that feeling at times as well. I think Nuss is doing fine and will be even better next year. It took Coach McElwain a little time to adjust moving from the west coast to the SEC as well.

By the way B1G you have been a welcome addition to the board and have really given me hope for a fanbase I have generally despised in the past. Good to have ya hear.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Play calling?

Isn't this his first year as OC/play caller without help? A this last stop, the HC was much more involved with the offense.
    RTR!

BamaNation All-American Airborne Tider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    Isn't this his first year as OC/play caller without help? A this last stop, the HC was much more involved with the offense.
    He was at Washington and Sarkisian is known to be very involved with offense but he thought very highly of Nuss and did not want him to leave.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

To me, it's kind of obvious how much better we are at actually completing the deep ball this year than we ever have been in my life as a bama fan. When could we have hit 50-60 yard bombs for TD's to come back in a game as big as saturday was? I don't remember an offense that could do that. Add on top of that almost 3,000 team rushing yards and it's pretty obvious how good of a hire CDN was.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not care to see any more passes from inside the 5 yard line thrown right on the goal line. Other that that, I'm good.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

When your talent level is much greater, it pays to be conservative. I think the staff tried to put more of the game on AJ this year with mixed results. Against the top teams, AJ threw 2 interceptions in the endzone. I don't blame the coaching staff for giving him the chance to be more dominant, he just wasn't able to make the most of it. I do think the H back or TE could've been developed better, but you only have so many plays per game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    FACT: Alabama has two 1,000 yard rushers for the first time ever.

FACT: Alabama has more rushing yards and TD's (2,920 and 35) than passing yards and TD's (2,788 and 27)

FACT: The 2012 offense has put up more TD's rushing AND passing (35 rush, 27 pass) in 13 games this year than the 2011 National Champs (34 rush, 16 pass) under McElwain.

FACT: Alabama has MORE RUSHING YARDS (2,920) AND ATTEMPTS (525) IN 2012 THAN 2011 (2,788 yards on 508 attempts)

Now, that the truth is out there... can we please congratulate Nussmeier on being an EXTREMELY successful hire? Outside of what, in retrospect, was a poor series of play calling at the end of the A&M game, he has improved our offensive efficiency in every way. We're also 12-1... same as last year, but this time we got an SEC championship and a shot at Notre Dame.

Just enjoy the moment people.
    This!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    When your talent level is much greater, it pays to be conservative. I think the staff tried to put more of the game on AJ this year with mixed results. Against the top teams, AJ threw 2 interceptions in the endzone. I don't blame the coaching staff for giving him the chance to be more dominant, he just wasn't able to make the most of it. I do think the H back or TE could've been developed better, but you only have so many plays per game.
    After the season, a lot of the reason for AJ's late season slump will make a lot more sense to people. I will say though, the play design nor the execution on the plays you mentioned were ideal. I think AJ will play much better in the NC game.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

also, AJ is in the middle of the greatest statistical season by any Bama QB ever. period.