Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Play calling?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: Play calling?

With five weeks of rest and the drastic change in the playcalling during the second half of the SECCG. I expect our game plan to begin with will be to pound the ball. It seems we have been hell bent this season (to the point of starting games slowly) on using the pass to set up the run when it might not have been needed. Our OL and RB's will have a full five weeks to heal up and that's where I expect to see the emphasis in the championship game.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    With five weeks of rest and the drastic change in the playcalling during the second half of the SECCG. I expect our game plan to begin with will be to pound the ball. It seems we have been hell bent this season (to the point of starting games slowly) on using the pass to set up the run when it might not have been needed. Our OL and RB's will have a full five weeks to heal up and that's where I expect to see the emphasis in the championship game.
    I myself like to see a mix....the basic premise of an offense is to do what theyre not expecting..

Pass when they expect run
    run when they expect pass

I like how our offense has run this season, and outside of one game in whihc our QB made a bad throw at the goal line...
    its worked brilliantly

I would like to see some of the same roll out passes to the TE's we saw in last years BCNCG...just to loosen up that aggressive front seven of ND

Once they have to think about the passes hurting them, I think the running game will be much more effective...

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    I myself like to see a mix....the basic premise of an offense is to do what theyre not expecting..

Pass when they expect run
    run when they expect pass

I like how our offense has run this season, and outside of one game in whihc our QB made a bad throw at the goal line...
    its worked brilliantly

I would like to see some of the same roll out passes to the TE's we saw in last years BCNCG...just to loosen up that aggressive front seven of ND

Once they have to think about the passes hurting them, I think the running game will be much more effective...
    The problem, as I see it, is that you were passing to set up the run instead of running to set up the pass when the defenses that you were playing against simply could not stop your running game. When the defense gives you something (or is incapable of stopping something), you do that thing until they stop you. In the SECCG, that was NEVER. Against aTm, that was also NEVER. I am not sure whether or not LSU could have stopped you on the ground - you never forced them to do so.

You only real success in the vertical passing game against quality opponents this year has been on play action. Run to set up the pass and you have wide open receivers and time to deliver the ball. Your running game doesn't need the help - your passing game does.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Play calling?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The problem, as I see it, is that you were passing to set up the run instead of running to set up the pass when the defenses that you were playing against simply could not stop your running game. When the defense gives you something (or is incapable of stopping something), you do that thing until they stop you. In the SECCG, that was NEVER. Against aTm, that was also NEVER. I am not sure whether or not LSU could have stopped you on the ground - you never forced them to do so.

You only real success in the vertical passing game against quality opponents this year has been on play action. Run to set up the pass and you have wide open receivers and time to deliver the ball. Your running game doesn't need the help - your passing game does.
    Yep

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    After the season, a lot of the reason for AJ's late season slump will make a lot more sense to people. I will say though, the play design nor the execution on the plays you mentioned were ideal. I think AJ will play much better in the NC game.
    3 out of the last 4 seasons, we've heard that Alabama QBs have been badly hurt and could barely play by the end of the season. Bottom line, if they take the field, they own the performance. They aren't ask to run and play behind the best O line in the nation. If they are that hurt, run another kid out there.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely our makeup this year, we run to set up the pass. We have a sick OL; I was very glad to see us run the ball against UGA. I want ND to stack the box because then Norwood and Cooper are going to be single covered. We'll test their ability to stop the run. If they can't, I'd bet we don't pass it more than 15 times. If they can, then we'll need AJ to loosen up their defense.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

It is funny how quickly people forget about last year's NCG. We threw on first down 15/16 times. That is what helped us dominate. Most teams expect us to run on first downs, so therefore I don't mind throwing on first downs. If anyone one here can predict when we will run or throw on first down, then Nuss is not doing a very good job. The goal is to not be predictable on first down. ND will stop us on first down if they know we will run every time. ND's run defense will be much better than UGA's. If they stop the run on first down, then we become predictable on 2nd, and 3rd downs too.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    It is funny how quickly people forget about last year's NCG. We threw on first down 15/16 times. That is what helped us dominate. Most teams expect us to run on first downs, so therefore I don't mind throwing on first downs. If anyone one here can predict when we will run or throw on first down, then Nuss is not doing a very good job. The goal is to not be predictable on first down. ND will stop us on first down if they know we will run every time. ND's run defense will be much better than UGA's. If they stop the run on first down, then we become predictable on 2nd, and 3rd downs too.
    It depends on the matchups. Last year we had a prelude going into the NCG as to how LSU could handle our running game. The answer? They could handle it quite well. So we knew going into the NCG we were going to have to do something different.

This is a different game, different team and totally different circumstances. Our strength is running the ball. We don't know if ND is capable of handling it or not. So to jump to the game plan of last season's NCG could possibly be a huge mistake. Personally, I don't think ND's defense is in the same class as last season's LSU's defense. Nowhere close. I think we play toward our strength until ND shows they can stop it. If we would have come out of the gate in the SECCG pounding the ball like we did in the second half I don't think that game would have gone down as one of the greatest in SEC history. Because it wouldn't have been that close. But that's just my opinion.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    Exactly. It would be run-run-pass-punt all night long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    3 out of the last 4 seasons, we've heard that Alabama QBs have been badly hurt and could barely play by the end of the season. Bottom line, if they take the field, they own the performance. They aren't ask to run and play behind the best O line in the nation. If they are that hurt, run another kid out there.
    That was a factor in P. Sims' transfer. He knew that, since AJ couldn't even practice, and that he still didn't see the field, he would not be getting any PT any time soon. As it's turning out now, AJ probably stays next year, so it makes Sims' decision look better...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Exactly. It would be run-run-pass-punt all night long.
    Against GA it was run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, kick PAT - rinse, repeat. Until ND proves it can stop you, I would start with some variation of this. Maybe mix in a few more runs to keep them honest.
    Last edited by B1GTide; December 7th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the old UVA QB was transferring so I guess it turned out good for Sims.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the matchups. Last year we had a prelude going into the NCG as to how LSU could handle our running game. The answer? They could handle it quite well. So we knew going into the NCG we were going to have to do something different.

This is a different game, different team and totally different circumstances. Our strength is running the ball. We don't know if ND is capable of handling it or not. So to jump to the game plan of last season's NCG could possibly be a huge mistake. Personally, I don't think ND's defense is in the same class as last season's LSU's defense. Nowhere close. I think we play toward our strength until ND shows they can stop it. If we would have come out of the gate in the SECCG pounding the ball like we did in the second half I don't think that game would have gone down as one of the greatest in SEC history. Because it wouldn't have been that close. But that's just my opinion.
    I agree that, with ND, the pounding should come first. UGA couldn't stop it when they knew it was coming. I think ND should be required to prove they can stop it when UGA couldn't do it with eleven in the box...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus