Blog: Latest Bama News 12/7 thru 12/9/2012

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
“Our fan base and myself have the same expectations,” said Jones, who was introduced Friday as Tennessee’s new coach. “We’re working to be the best. We’re working to be No. 1 every day. We’re working to be national champions. We’re working to be SEC champions. Here’s the thing: This program has done it and will do it again.” Jones, who’s won four league championships in six years as a head coach, shrugged off the fact that he wasn’t Tennessee’s first choice. “I think I was my wife’s third choice, and it’s worked out for 20 years,” he quipped. Similarly, he downplayed the fact that he doesn’t have any previous SEC experience. “I will be the first to tell you that Nick Saban and Les Miles had zero SEC experience when they came into the league ,” Jones said, and then paused. “So that’s all I will say there.”
I should say so! At worst, he'll extend the misery 3 or 4 years, at best he'll move tenercee to a permanent second or 3rd in the SEC East...a continual threat to break into the top 20, IOW, lotta w's for Bama!

Jones embraces rocky flop challenge-SEC BLOG ESPN

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
UT onto 6th strength coach in 5 yrs. Wow RT @sgw94: Looks like Coach Jones let go strength coach Ron McKeefery whom I know from Bucs & USF.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Via bammehammer.com Thanks!:
Waking up and not having Alabama Crimson Tide football to look forward to is something we’re all going to have to get used to in the coming weeks. Thought we’d start letting you down easy this morning by giving you some video from the SEC Championship between the Tide and the Georgia Bulldogs.
[video=youtube;fzCZBpNrEME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fzCZBpNrEME[/video]

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Quick, grab a pencil and rank the SEC’s football coaches from 1-14. Where do you put the guys in the new rookie class? If you go by career wins you may shortchange a guy like Mark Stoops at Kentucky who’s taking over a program for the first time. Some of those newbies like Mark Richt, Dan Mullen, and Will Muschamp have walked into the SEC and done quite well. Others have been total failures. If you go by past recruiting prowess, you might dismiss a guy like James Franklin who entered the league with a staff that had zero SEC recruiting ties. In case you haven’t been keeping up, Franklin’s recruiting at Vanderbilt has been eye-popping. In the end, whether or not Stoops, Bret Bielema, Butch Jones and Gus Malzahn succeed, will come down to a few key issues. Some coaches face more challenges or bigger challenges than others. Naturally, we break them all down for you, coach-by-coach, below:

WHY THEY’LL WORK AND WHY THEY WON’T: THE SEC’S ROOKIE COACHES-MRSEC

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Some call it a siren's song. Others would call it a black hole. SEC coaching has become a bit of both depending on your perspective. If you are a fan, the jobs offered at college football's top conference are the pinnacle of the sport: a place where a good football man can gain wealth and status that would make the Sun King blush. But if you are on the outside looking in, the conference can seem like a dense vortex where everything enters but nothing ever escapes. Recent news out of region only bolsters both claims. Nobody thought Bret Bielema would leave Wisconsin, especially after making his third consecutive trip to the Rose Bowl. The Big Ten was once the conference every great coach aspired to land. Now, it's a training ground for 4-8 SEC programs.
SEC jobs are black holes of coaching-ibleedcrimsonred.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010

Ranking College Football's Vacant Coaching Jobs-Athlon Sports

The opening of three key SEC jobs this season -- Arkansas, Auburn and Tennessee -- sparked debate within the Athlon office, and, it seems, through rabid SEC fans.
Which job is the most desirable?It’s a loaded question, for sure. Tradition, resources, commitment, recruiting base, competition level and other perks and challenges all come into play.Two years ago, we ranked every coaching job in the country in our preseason annual. Much has changed since then, not least of which conference affiliations.We attempted to revisit the topic of ranking coaching jobs this year. We asked: Which jobs would have the greatest likelihood of yielding success within the next five years for the average coach? Here are our rankings of the programs in this year’s coaching carousel. We’ll continue the exercise as more jobs open, but here’s the first look, with the three major SEC jobs leading the way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.