Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: DJ Fluker told Jarvis Jones we are running this way.

Pretty cool in retrospect that he was able to tell supposedly the best defensive player in the SEC where we were running and Jones couldn't stop it.

But, can someone help me understand why Fluker would do that in the first place? I mean, it's not like we were up by 30 points and the game was over. That was a dog fight to the end. We were 4 yards away from losing that game, and we failed to get that last 1st down when we really needed it to close out the game.

Why would you tell a defender that?

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Fluker was playing like a man possessed that game.
    This is awesome, and I agree.
    He and Lacy both played possessed...I know the whole team played awesome, (and I'm not overlooking efforts of others like Williams, Mosely, Vogler, Clinton-Dix, Jones, Yeldon and Cooper particularly in the second half), but Lacy & Fluker both stood out to me in how they played the whole game.
    Total attitude and purpose, all game.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll be talking about that second half O line dominance 20 years from now.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    is fluker still tipping off the plays with his stance?
    It sounds like he's just telling them now. That way he doesn't have to worry about his stance.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    Pretty cool in retrospect that he was able to tell supposedly the best defensive player in the SEC where we were running and Jones couldn't stop it.

But, can someone help me understand why Fluker would do that in the first place? I mean, it's not like we were up by 30 points and the game was over. That was a dog fight to the end. We were 4 yards away from losing that game, and we failed to get that last 1st down when we really needed it to close out the game.

If you were the defender, would you necessarily believe him?? (LOL)
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmfcox View Post
    Too bad he's not that great at pass blocking?
    He's not bad at pass-blocking at all. He's just supreme at run blocking
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If ye've ever played the game, ye may understand. Seriously though, it's part of the game. In games I've played, we did it to them and yes, they did it to us. It's really a part of every game.. the trash talk in the trenches. Especially when you've proven a point. You keep doing it. Football really IS a game of wills.
    Last edited by theballguy; December 7th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

Post Thanks / Like

he wanted jones to get the word to rambo about his talent
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    It sounds like he's just telling them now. That way he doesn't have to worry about his stance.
    I wonder if he has been doing that all season since the Western Kentucky game? He may have interpreted our coaches telling him that he might as well tell the opposing team to mean do just that...

I think it was great of Jarvis Jones to admit this about Fluker, a lesser person would have steered clear of comments like this. I have a higher degree of respect for him as a result.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmfcox View Post
    Too bad he's not that great at pass blocking?
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bama did what many say is the correct thing when facing a dominant defender - run right at them. Some guys work better in that situation. Some don't. The way Bama's offensive line played Saturday, Jarvis Jones didn't play well when 42 and 4 ran at him.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a standard technique employed by Tom Osborne's Huskers back in the 80s when Nebraska had dominant O lines. They would tell the defense where a run was going and dared them to stop it. Most of the time the defense could not. If the O line does this three or four times and the defense cannot stop the run even when they know where it is going, they'll just give up. Very effective way to neutralize the D if you can pull it off.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The way Georgia held up against the run, Fluker could have diagrammed the play for them in their huddle and they still couldn't have stopped it.