Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DJ Fluker told Jarvis Jones we are running this way.

I can tell you first hand that D.J. has come a LONG, LONG way. When he was a junior in high school he played for Biloxi before transfering to Foley for his senior season. Biloxi came to Ocean Springs and DJ was way larger than anyone on the field, maybe bigger weight wise than he is now. I was doing the P.A. announcing for OS at the time and I could not believe how badly he got whipped all night. He played defensive tackle and Ocean Springs ran around and over him and beat Biloxi badly. It wasn't that he didn't have the talent obviously but his footwork, at the time was horrific, and his quickness simply wasn't there. He had to grow into his body.
    That's why, when we signed him I posted that even though he was a five star prospect that he would be a bit of a project at offensive tackle, and he turned out to be just that. But the coaches have done a wonderful job with him and he has worked very hard to become an outstanding player. He still has just a teeny ways to go but he's mighty close to being absolutely great. And I loved his emotion in the Georgia game. Great performance by a hard working, determined young man.

sip

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Cat View Post
    This is awesome, and I agree.
    He and Lacy both played possessed...I know the whole team played awesome, (and I'm not overlooking efforts of others like Williams, Mosely, Vogler, Clinton-Dix, Jones, Yeldon and Cooper particularly in the second half), but Lacy & Fluker both stood out to me in how they played the whole game.
    Total attitude and purpose, all game.
    We played some pretty good football that night ourselves,you guys are the best team in the land no doubt,just do us all a favor and end this media induced,notre dame,fighting leprechaun,linebacker with the name i can neither pronounce or spell properly LOVEFEST. Its really getting sickening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I can tell you first hand that D.J. has come a LONG, LONG way. When he was a junior in high school he played for Biloxi before transfering to Foley for his senior season. Biloxi came to Ocean Springs and DJ was way larger than anyone on the field, maybe bigger weight wise than he is now. I was doing the P.A. announcing for OS at the time and I could not believe how badly he got whipped all night. He played defensive tackle and Ocean Springs ran around and over him and beat Biloxi badly. It wasn't that he didn't have the talent obviously but his footwork, at the time was horrific, and his quickness simply wasn't there. He had to grow into his body.
    That's why, when we signed him I posted that even though he was a five star prospect that he would be a bit of a project at offensive tackle, and he turned out to be just that. But the coaches have done a wonderful job with him and he has worked very hard to become an outstanding player. He still has just a teeny ways to go but he's mighty close to being absolutely great. And I loved his emotion in the Georgia game. Great performance by a hard working, determined young man.

sip
    He was at least 50 lb heavier then, and he came to us as a guy who'd only played OL one year. It's fair to say that he has remodeled his body completely. He's stuck to his diet and to his workout routine. He'll be a guard at the next level, but he'll be a helluva guard...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GADAWG1980 View Post
    We played some pretty good football that night ourselves,you guys are the best team in the land no doubt,just do us all a favor and end this media induced,notre dame,fighting leprechaun,linebacker with the name i can neither pronounce or spell properly LOVEFEST. Its really getting sickening.
    Indeed they did...very impressed with the Dawgs overall, most particularly with Murray and the two young rbs. I don't think there is a Bama fan that isn't thankful the time ran out right there at the end, lol. Both defenses were pretty tanked.

The Dawgs played a great game and even if Bama had lost, this Bama fan would have been cheering for UGA to beat ND...

BamaNation Second Team WalkaboutSean's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coach Saban showed the team some Michael Jordan highlights earlier in the week.

On his Thursday radio show, Saban said the highlights gave him "cold chills." He said, "You know I'm going to run to the right or you know I'm going to go to the right, but I'm going to execute it better than you defend it. That's the way it's going to be.' That's how you've got to play in these kinds of games. You've got to be bold in the way you go about it and aggressive in the way you go about it. I think that's important to being successful."

I think that was Saban's message of the week to the team.

We have a brilliant coach.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

...And then he told him he was gonna smash him!!! That man was playing like he was possessed the entire game. We are really gonna miss him next year.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    But, can someone help me understand why Fluker would do that in the first place? I mean, it's not like we were up by 30 points and the game was over. That was a dog fight to the end. We were 4 yards away from losing that game, and we failed to get that last 1st down when we really needed it to close out the game.

Why would you tell a defender that?
    Perhaps he told that to Jones right before the TD pass to Cooper?
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    Pretty cool in retrospect that he was able to tell supposedly the best defensive player in the SEC where we were running and Jones couldn't stop it.

But, can someone help me understand why Fluker would do that in the first place? I mean, it's not like we were up by 30 points and the game was over. That was a dog fight to the end. We were 4 yards away from losing that game, and we failed to get that last 1st down when we really needed it to close out the game.

Why would you tell a defender that?
    you saw that drive, we may as well have told them it was pretty obvious.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The way the situation was in the last offensive possession, we had no choice but to run 3 times. McCarron only barely had time to get that TD pass off to Cooper. We weren't getting protection like you need to feel comfortable about dropping back in that situation. Furthermore, they had a fumble recovery due to that pressure earlier. We had to run 3 times to bleed the timeouts and the clock (as much as possible)...if it resulted in 10 yards then great, otherwise we leave them with a minute and most of the field to go for a touchdown. Terrible execution on defense is really the reason that offensive possession looks worse than it exactly was by the books. One inbounds tackle on that tight end after the catch early in their drive, and that game is over.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

seems to me I read somewhere that CNS and staff want "big" bodies, especially in the trenches...because if they have any ability at all, and the desire, CNS knows he and the staff can make them stars...

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    He's not bad at pass-blocking at all. He's just supreme at run blocking
    Put very well.

BamaNation Second Team AlabasterBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

I'm thinking Fluker will be a guard in the NFL. A dominat one. He won't have to worry about edge blocking.
    While I agree he will be moved to guard in the NFL, he will need to be drafted by the right team (Which that's the case with every player example Mark Ingram). Where he is a bulldozer in the straight ahead run game at guard in some NFL schemes he will be asked to pull and trap or pull and turn up. If wee all look rationally at that prospect he is not Warmack. Not saying he isn't a great run blocker so don't flame just stating the pretty obvious

He was at least 50 lb heavier then, and he came to us as a guy who'd only played OL one year. It's fair to say that he has remodeled his body completely. He's stuck to his diet and to his workout routine.........
    Earle that is why I would love to see him come back and get another year in for the us. Plus he is better that anyone behind him. But I think another year in the program and process would vault him into the top 20 picks, where as now he is being projected as a Mid 2nd - early 3rd. With his family situations I think there is less than a 1% chance he comes back. I hope I'm wrong.

Just my thoughts
    Last edited by AlabasterBama; December 8th, 2012 at 03:40 PM.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAFEVER50 View Post
    Put very well.
    I'll agree he is much better at run blocking.