DJ Fluker told Jarvis Jones we are running his way.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Re: DJ Fluker told Jarvis Jones we are running this way.

It sounds like he's just telling them now. That way he doesn't have to worry about his stance.
I wonder if he has been doing that all season since the Western Kentucky game? He may have interpreted our coaches telling him that he might as well tell the opposing team to mean do just that...:biggrin:

I think it was great of Jarvis Jones to admit this about Fluker, a lesser person would have steered clear of comments like this. I have a higher degree of respect for him as a result.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Bama did what many say is the correct thing when facing a dominant defender - run right at them. Some guys work better in that situation. Some don't. The way Bama's offensive line played Saturday, Jarvis Jones didn't play well when 42 and 4 ran at him.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

This was a standard technique employed by Tom Osborne's Huskers back in the 80s when Nebraska had dominant O lines. They would tell the defense where a run was going and dared them to stop it. Most of the time the defense could not. If the O line does this three or four times and the defense cannot stop the run even when they know where it is going, they'll just give up. Very effective way to neutralize the D if you can pull it off.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The way Georgia held up against the run, Fluker could have diagrammed the play for them in their huddle and they still couldn't have stopped it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I hope he plays like a man possessed in the next one. Te'o, please line up in front of him!:BigA:
It's like an 18 wheeler coming at you. If you don't move you are going to get run over.
Line him up in front of DJ and see if Te'o is the man everyone sez he is.
Ask Ga. two guys kept DJ pretty busy... BUT... they didn't always get the job done either... ;)

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010

If Fluker gets his hands on you, you're done. If you can shed his hands, he's not the best at getting control back.

He is one of my all-time favorites. He just plays the game with so much emotion and really does wonders for our offense.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

I'm thinking Fluker will be a guard in the NFL. A dominat one. He won't have to worry about edge blocking.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado

If ye've ever played the game, ye may understand. Seriously though, it's part of the game. In games I've played, we did it to them and yes, they did it to us. It's really a part of every game.. the trash talk in the trenches. Especially when you've proven a point. You keep doing it. Football really IS a game of wills.
I have played, and actually I did play OL, and I never heard of anyone doing that except in a real blowout.

he wanted jones to get the word to rambo about his talent
Hehe...good one!

The way Georgia held up against the run, Fluker could have diagrammed the play for them in their huddle and they still couldn't have stopped it.
All well and good, but when we really, REALLY needed 3 yards to ice the game, we could not do it. That's partly my point. We were getting 10 yards on every run, and then with the game on the line, we couldn't get 10 yards in 3 plays...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I have played, and actually I did play OL, and I never heard of anyone doing that except in a real blowout.

Hehe...good one!

All well and good, but when we really, REALLY needed 3 yards to ice the game, we could not do it. That's partly my point. We were getting 10 yards on every run, and then with the game on the line, we couldn't get 10 yards in 3 plays...
Were they really given the chance?

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012

In that is case he will be a very wealthy NFL guard instead of very wealthy NFL tackle.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

Were they really given the chance?
Agree. It is a lot harder to get 10 when you absolutely can't fumble, everything slows waaay down like if you are handing off nitroglycerine. The backs were holding the ball like a 6 month old baby, and since everyone knew it was a run the D could stack the box.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I can tell you first hand that D.J. has come a LONG, LONG way. When he was a junior in high school he played for Biloxi before transfering to Foley for his senior season. Biloxi came to Ocean Springs and DJ was way larger than anyone on the field, maybe bigger weight wise than he is now. I was doing the P.A. announcing for OS at the time and I could not believe how badly he got whipped all night. He played defensive tackle and Ocean Springs ran around and over him and beat Biloxi badly. It wasn't that he didn't have the talent obviously but his footwork, at the time was horrific, and his quickness simply wasn't there. He had to grow into his body.
That's why, when we signed him I posted that even though he was a five star prospect that he would be a bit of a project at offensive tackle, and he turned out to be just that. But the coaches have done a wonderful job with him and he has worked very hard to become an outstanding player. He still has just a teeny ways to go but he's mighty close to being absolutely great. And I loved his emotion in the Georgia game. Great performance by a hard working, determined young man.

sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.