DJ Fluker told Jarvis Jones we are running his way.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
Re: DJ Fluker told Jarvis Jones we are running this way.

This is awesome, and I agree.
He and Lacy both played possessed...I know the whole team played awesome, (and I'm not overlooking efforts of others like Williams, Mosely, Vogler, Clinton-Dix, Jones, Yeldon and Cooper particularly in the second half), but Lacy & Fluker both stood out to me in how they played the whole game.
Total attitude and purpose, all game.
We played some pretty good football that night ourselves,you guys are the best team in the land no doubt,just do us all a favor and end this media induced,notre dame,fighting leprechaun,linebacker with the name i can neither pronounce or spell properly LOVEFEST. Its really getting sickening.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I can tell you first hand that D.J. has come a LONG, LONG way. When he was a junior in high school he played for Biloxi before transfering to Foley for his senior season. Biloxi came to Ocean Springs and DJ was way larger than anyone on the field, maybe bigger weight wise than he is now. I was doing the P.A. announcing for OS at the time and I could not believe how badly he got whipped all night. He played defensive tackle and Ocean Springs ran around and over him and beat Biloxi badly. It wasn't that he didn't have the talent obviously but his footwork, at the time was horrific, and his quickness simply wasn't there. He had to grow into his body.
That's why, when we signed him I posted that even though he was a five star prospect that he would be a bit of a project at offensive tackle, and he turned out to be just that. But the coaches have done a wonderful job with him and he has worked very hard to become an outstanding player. He still has just a teeny ways to go but he's mighty close to being absolutely great. And I loved his emotion in the Georgia game. Great performance by a hard working, determined young man.

sip
He was at least 50 lb heavier then, and he came to us as a guy who'd only played OL one year. It's fair to say that he has remodeled his body completely. He's stuck to his diet and to his workout routine. He'll be a guard at the next level, but he'll be a helluva guard...

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

We played some pretty good football that night ourselves,you guys are the best team in the land no doubt,just do us all a favor and end this media induced,notre dame,fighting leprechaun,linebacker with the name i can neither pronounce or spell properly LOVEFEST. Its really getting sickening.
Indeed they did...very impressed with the Dawgs overall, most particularly with Murray and the two young rbs. I don't think there is a Bama fan that isn't thankful the time ran out right there at the end, lol. Both defenses were pretty tanked.

The Dawgs played a great game and even if Bama had lost, this Bama fan would have been cheering for UGA to beat ND...

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010

Coach Saban showed the team some Michael Jordan highlights earlier in the week.

On his Thursday radio show, Saban said the highlights gave him "cold chills." He said, "You know I'm going to run to the right or you know I'm going to go to the right, but I'm going to execute it better than you defend it. That's the way it's going to be.' That's how you've got to play in these kinds of games. You've got to be bold in the way you go about it and aggressive in the way you go about it. I think that's important to being successful."

I think that was Saban's message of the week to the team.

We have a brilliant coach.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

...And then he told him he was gonna smash him!!! That man was playing like he was possessed the entire game. We are really gonna miss him next year.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

But, can someone help me understand why Fluker would do that in the first place? I mean, it's not like we were up by 30 points and the game was over. That was a dog fight to the end. We were 4 yards away from losing that game, and we failed to get that last 1st down when we really needed it to close out the game.

Why would you tell a defender that?
Perhaps he told that to Jones right before the TD pass to Cooper? ;)

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Pretty cool in retrospect that he was able to tell supposedly the best defensive player in the SEC where we were running and Jones couldn't stop it.

But, can someone help me understand why Fluker would do that in the first place? I mean, it's not like we were up by 30 points and the game was over. That was a dog fight to the end. We were 4 yards away from losing that game, and we failed to get that last 1st down when we really needed it to close out the game.

Why would you tell a defender that?
you saw that drive, we may as well have told them it was pretty obvious.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The way the situation was in the last offensive possession, we had no choice but to run 3 times. McCarron only barely had time to get that TD pass off to Cooper. We weren't getting protection like you need to feel comfortable about dropping back in that situation. Furthermore, they had a fumble recovery due to that pressure earlier. We had to run 3 times to bleed the timeouts and the clock (as much as possible)...if it resulted in 10 yards then great, otherwise we leave them with a minute and most of the field to go for a touchdown. Terrible execution on defense is really the reason that offensive possession looks worse than it exactly was by the books. One inbounds tackle on that tight end after the catch early in their drive, and that game is over.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

seems to me I read somewhere that CNS and staff want "big" bodies, especially in the trenches...because if they have any ability at all, and the desire, CNS knows he and the staff can make them stars...

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama

I'm thinking Fluker will be a guard in the NFL. A dominat one. He won't have to worry about edge blocking.
While I agree he will be moved to guard in the NFL, he will need to be drafted by the right team (Which that's the case with every player example Mark Ingram). Where he is a bulldozer in the straight ahead run game at guard in some NFL schemes he will be asked to pull and trap or pull and turn up. If wee all look rationally at that prospect he is not Warmack. Not saying he isn't a great run blocker so don't flame just stating the pretty obvious

He was at least 50 lb heavier then, and he came to us as a guy who'd only played OL one year. It's fair to say that he has remodeled his body completely. He's stuck to his diet and to his workout routine.........
Earle that is why I would love to see him come back and get another year in for the us. Plus he is better that anyone behind him. But I think another year in the program and process would vault him into the top 20 picks, where as now he is being projected as a Mid 2nd - early 3rd. With his family situations I think there is less than a 1% chance he comes back. I hope I'm wrong.

Just my thoughts

Last edited:

AngryEwok

All-SEC

But I think another year in the program and process would vault him into the top 20 picks, where as now he is being projected as a Mid 2nd - early 3rd.
I agree with this. Fluker, at times, doesn't seem ready. And then other times, he's awesome. Not being critical, only saying that another year may mean another few million dollars signing bonus.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
DJ Fluker told Jarvis Jones we are running this way.

I agree with this. Fluker, at times, doesn't seem ready. And then other times, he's awesome. Not being critical, only saying that another year may mean another few million dollars signing bonus.
The NFL would have 1st Rounded him as a guard last year. Unless he pulls a Barrett we'll need to enjoy the great contributions of DJ for one more huge game.

I have a feeling in couple of years we will hear that DJ has taken the title of "NFL's Best Guard" from none other than the Tide's Evan Mathis.

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City
Fluker went Roosevelt Patterson on Jones and whoever got in his way. The miami players in the 1992 Championship antagonized Roosevelt in the streets of New Orleans with taunts and had to be held back by teammates. Normally somewhat mild mannered he made the miami players pay in the game. As you can see in the replay he was going way down field trying to find someone else to block.:BigA::):BigA:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

The NFL would have 1st Rounded him as a guard last year. Unless he pulls a Barrett we'll need to enjoy the great contributions of DJ for one more huge game.

I have a feeling in couple of years we will hear that DJ has taken the title of "NFL's Best Guard" from none other than the Tide's Evan Mathis.
Since when is Evan Mathis the best guard in the NFL?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Fluker went Roosevelt Patterson on Jones and whoever got in his way. The miami players in the 1992 Championship antagonized Roosevelt in the streets of New Orleans with taunts and had to be held back by teammates. Normally somewhat mild mannered he made the miami players pay in the game. As you can see in the replay he was going way down field trying to find someone else to block.:BigA::):BigA:

Kid Gives No Quarter, French Or Otherwise
"Marley said to Roosevelt Patterson, `Man, you must be an offensive lineman, you big, fat, sloppy (obscenity). You can`t block me. Don`t come my way,' " Lassic said. "He was saying a lot of stuff like that. I`d never even heard of the guy myself. I`ve got a lot of respect for his father. Too bad I can`t say likewise of his son."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.