Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When do you think Saban will retire?

December 8th 2020
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Bigalstide1877's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Can we seriously stop talking about when and if saban retires. I hope he coaches till he is ready to retire.

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

When I saw him go off in the NC last year against LSU in the 4th Qtr when a mistake was made, I think it will be quite a while before he loses that passion.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by formersoldier71 View Post
    If it's any time soon, we may be able to get Paul Johnson.

You guys responding random coaches names to the quote above ^^^ just ain't getting it! -lol It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title formersoldier71!
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation First Team Tider n LA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

He will turn 62 next October 31st and then he will be old enough to draw his Social Security. He might be waiting on that to supplement his income.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    He's a very very young 60 and loves what he does so I'd say he'll retire after he wins his seventh national championship.
    Sounds like a good plan!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I never worry with it. I live in Texas and about this time every year there's the always reliable "We gonna offer Saban ten mill-yun dawl-uhs and he gawn leeb you haw and draw." Kinda makes you wonder how a program with so much money couldn't do any better than Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic, and Mack Brown - and a grand total of one national title in over 40 years. And for those who don't know, Mack was like number three on the list.

To give you an example of the arrogance we deal with, consider the following words from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram attributed to a Texas source when they wound up with third-choice Mack Brown:

(http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...h-gary-barnett)

That information is consistent with the understanding of a source with ties to Barnett, who summarized the Texas situation this way: "It's pretty much Gary's job to turn down. He may turn it down, but I don't think so."

You see, nobody would EVER turn down Texas because they can just - you know, win at will and hire whoever they want because they got more money than anybody else. (I would think the fact a guy would have rather stayed at Northwestern than go to Texas would have disabused them of that notion - but you have to live here to see the absolute "out of reality" worldview some of these folks have here.

The question presumes, of course, that Saban stays here. I think that's pretty much a given at this point. As of this year no longer can anyone say "he's never been anywhere longer than five years." The program is on solid footing - plus, with a win on January 7, CNS will be in line for a shot something not even the Great One did (though it was not his fault): a three-peat.

I don't think Nick stays around like, say, Bowden or that Unmentionable Guy. But he does strike me as the kind of guy that would be bored stiff if he quit. My old man just turned 67, and he is one of those, too.

But I would caution everyone something else - go back and look at the video tapes of Coach Bryant and compare what he looked like in the 1973 Sugar Bowl to how ragged and aged he looked at the 1982 Iron Bowl. Now - CPB did have some personal habits that are not exactly the healthiest in the world to help him cope with the stress (I know not if CNS does). And no, I'm not saying anything that anyone with minimal knowledge of CPB wouldn't admit. You age QUICKLY between 46-60, and Saban doesn't seem to have done so. (I find it hard to believe the guy is 18 years older than I - he gets around MUCH better).

My take? I think he'll be here as long as he's happy. But national title seasons INCREASE pressure at Alabama as opposed to other places. Next year or the year after or pretty soon we're gonna have another 2010 - and the fans will be disappointed and question the coaching. So let's see how it plays out.
    :13

BamaNation Second Team scoretide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe he wants to rewrite the ALABAMA record book. I think he will be here to get 6 NC'S , IF NOT 7 to pass the mark bryant set. Yes health is a issue but he looks fine. He is our modern day COACH BRYANT. Some where up there THE MAN is smiling down on coach saban and saying he's a goodin ! I WAS told yesterday this is how it was in the 70's, I was to young to remember as i told a AUBURN fan , but i also said HISTORY DOES REPEAT ITSELF . Better get that record book open & ready !!!!!
    "saban has awoken a sleeping GIANT"

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Think he will want to be an AD at Bama?

BamaNation Second Team Condor 63's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Grumpy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Next year or the year after or pretty soon we're gonna have another 2010 - and the fans will be disappointed and question the coaching.
    That is the only thing that really worries me. Certain fans need to realize that occasionally you are going to have a down year. Coaches get tired of unreasonable criticism unless they are like Paterno and Bowden and just deaf to even reasonable criticism.

If Alabama fans can just stay supportive in the down years I think Saban is here 4-8 more years, 2-3 more Championships and he leaves behind a history that no other school in the country can even touch.

I also tend to think all the new SEC coaching hires he leaves behind in his wake is a source of constant challenge to him.

BamaNation First Team Tider n LA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by lafella View Post
    December 8th 2020
    If he retires at that date, I guess he won't be coaching in the 2021 NCG.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dabaxter View Post
    Believe me. I don't want him to retire anytime soon! The program is in the best shape it's been since the 70's.
    Then drop the subject.................Geeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz z.

We get these crap questions every year.

RTR
    15 National Championships
    They've got a name for the winners of the world, and i want a name when i lose, They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blue.( Steely Dan 1978 )

ROLL TIDE ROLL

BamaNation Second Team AlabasterBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Think he will want to be an AD at Bama?
    No

There is belief among many that when Mal steps down Saban will follow. Mal contract runs out 2016? maybe 2017?