When do you think Saban will retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Terry Saban said somethings that I expected.

- Coach Saban loved the game still, but the relief to joy balance is tilting towards relief as he gets older

- The believe that Coach Smart would get the train rolling, which tells me that Coach Saban wants Kirby Smrt.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Coach Saban will be here no more than 4 more years and I have a strong gut feeling that Kirby Smart has an under the table arrangement if he's still here. If it is made, it will be honored no matter who the AD is.

I predict that you will not see Coach Smart doing many interviews other than an occasional top 15 gig if he's offered. The next recruiting class could be the last that coach Saban follows through, but having coach Smart will make it easier. His last hurray and he's finished.

There will be a shadow left, and Coach Smart will either succeed or be a good bridge coach. Kirby Smart will be the DC the day Coach Saban retires.

Presumptions or pretentious that's how I see it happening.
I think it all depends on his health. If his health holds up, I don not believe he can turn loose in four more years. That probably will prevent Smart's getting a tryout as HC...

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
I don't want to think about it. I am enjoying living through these great times of Bama football with CNS at the reigns. I refuse to even speculate.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
I agree CNS will retire when he decides it's time. IMO, it will be time when he can't physically get out there at practice and show them how it's done, like we see him doing in video of practices now.

Hopefully that's a long time off, because I'll be really sad when it happens.

1Dawn

1st Team
Sep 18, 2009
Birmingham TV News Channel 33/40 just reported that Saban may be going to Cleveland Browns as General Manager. As they just said, "say it isn't so....". I SINCERELY hope this a rumored report. I felt weak hearing the news!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Birmingham TV News Channel 33/40 just reported that Saban may be going to Cleveland Browns as General Manager. As they just said, "say it isn't so....". I SINCERELY hope this a rumored report. I felt weak hearing the news!
And that shows you the desperation of media these days. Last year, it was Texas or the Cowboys. This year it was Texas. Now it's the Browns. He's talked so much about the differences in the pro game, why it didn't fit him and why he likes the college game so much more - and it's made sense, sense that media folks (and Nancy fans) just don't want to understand for obvious reasons...

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Oh, my God.
Is this true??

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Coach Saban needs to stick around to see how we do a few years in the new Play-off System after the BCS is in the rear view mirror.

Coach, it's too cold in Cleveland!

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Is 33/40 a reliable station?
All I can find on Twitter are a handful of similar Tweets, one that says Saban and Lombardi "wouldn't work together in 1000 years" and Terry Saban's steing denial Friday that they'll leave T-town at all

1Dawn

1st Team
Sep 18, 2009
Is 33/40 a reliable station?
All I can find on Twitter are a handful of similar Tweets, one that says Saban and Lombardi "wouldn't work together in 1000 years" and Terry Saban's steing denial Friday that they'll leave T-town at all
Yes, it is the ABC news station in B'ham. It is one of the three main stations for B'ham, along with CBS and NBC. They were also the one who last week who reported early on that KS was interviewing at Auburn, which was true. We can hope they are off base this time, I suppose.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I would tend to believe Terry Saban rather than a TV station in B'ham. This is Terry Saban's answer:“To answer your question and get right to the point, no,” she said. “We’re very comfortable here. We love it here. It’s a great fit for our family. It’s a good fit for me. As far as we’re concerned, this is where we’ll retire someday.

“As far as jobs go, this is it for us. I don’t mean to be presumptuous. I would have to talk this over with Nick, but as far as I’m concerned, this is it.”

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I would tend to believe Terry Saban rather than a TV station in B'ham. This is Terry Saban's answer:“To answer your question and get right to the point, no,” she said. “We’re very comfortable here. We love it here. It’s a great fit for our family. It’s a good fit for me. As far as we’re concerned, this is where we’ll retire someday.

“As far as jobs go, this is it for us. I don’t mean to be presumptuous. I would have to talk this over with Nick, but as far as I’m concerned, this is it.”
Thanks for pulling the full quote.
I remembered the gist of what she said but could not find exact quote.

So, is this just a ploy by rivals to kill our buzz?

1Dawn

1st Team
Sep 18, 2009

I agree. After hearing the reported story, I did a bit of research. I read the same above quote on line. I think that quote was just days ago, as well. I do not think the story has legs, so to speak. I just can't see Saban making a move like that when he knows his success has been in college coaching.

Also, correction to the reported 33/40 ABC story - that was if Lombardi was hired as the new GM, then Saban following as the coach.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I know this is looming at some point. When do you think it will be? After this national title? Or after the next?
I predict it will be after the next NC, not this upcoming one, but who knows?

I think the recent Terri Saban comments about Kirby Smart suggest this is coming sooner than later.
Who knows? I'll bet Paul Johnson won't be his replacement!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Well my present wife doesn't seem too concerned about me marrying a Super Model so I guess it will be a very long time.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Last edited:

Mitch

Oct 6, 2012
I've worked in the media for 21 years, the first 7 of it in Alabama and Mississippi. I know a lot of people in the B'ham/T-town media now. Don't like labeling a guy, but it's true in his case: Raita is an AU hack. Has been for years. And was miserable last year when Alabama got back into the title game. I'm sure part of this is him doing his job, but don't think he doesn't want it to happen.

FWIW, I believe Mrs. Saban. I don't think Nick is going anywhere until he heads to that lake he's talked about.

1Dawn

1st Team
Sep 18, 2009
Raita was not the reporter. Jeff Speegle was the one reporting the news, both evening and night. He reported tonight their source was the Boston Globe. I think it is just speculaton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.