When do you think Saban will retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I would seriously doubt any exit from Saban at this juncture. I think it is too late in his career to go to the NFL. You have a 3-4 year window in the NFL and he could easily be looking at his last job whether he goes out on top or not. Furthermore, if his wife doesn't want to leave...I doubt he will be persuaded.

Mitch

Oct 6, 2012
My apologies for pinning it on Raita. I know who Jeff is, but I don't know him personally.
I don't apologize for calling Raita an Auburn hack.
Coach Saban rules.
That is all.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I know Coach Saban has stated he enjoys the challenge of building up football programs..I have no doubt he truly meant that..But..He's also been labeled a job hopping liar by the media by so..At some point he has to quit taking different jobs to truly build his "Legacy" as a college HC..That's why I have no fears of him leaving Bama for another rebuilding challenge..His challenge now is to build "Legacy" as a college HC..Not the challenge of rebuilding another football program in college or in the NFL..

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
Coach Saban's dad died at an early age . As someone who lost their dad at 16 , I know how this can color your view of life and mortality . This could be one of the reasons he is so driven . Like everything else , I'm sure he has a plan for his retirement and that probably includes his successor . rtr...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The Boston Globe article was speculating he would be the top candidate because of who the new likely GM in Cleveland will be... FWIW they also brought up Chip Kelly and Josh McDaniels...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The Boston Globe article was speculating he would be the top candidate because of who the new likely GM in Cleveland will be... FWIW they also brought up Chip Kelly and Josh McDaniels...
We can't help that others think CNS might be good for their organization. I guess it comes with the territory when you have a wildly successful person running your organization.

Didn't see the 33/40 segment, but I have no problem with them reporting the "news" but it would also make sense to report the details about it's source which makes this "news" nothing more than "somebody's pipe dream."

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think it all depends on his health. If his health holds up, I don not believe he can turn loose in four more years. That probably will prevent Smart's getting a tryout as HC...
Coach Saban = Coach Bryant in today's more competitive/balanced playing field. We hired what will be one of the top 5 coaches in the history of the game, much of that is luck. He took his LSU performance and went into another gear. I don't believe Coach Moore knew that his peers were mainly deceased, instead of other coaches in the SEC. If he did, I doubt Rod would have been offered.

We just disagree on mental vs physical. Imo, he will be physically healthy when he retires. When the fun can't counter balance the weight, he will let us know the end is near, and I am already detecting a slow slide. The 2009 SECCG was the peak, although it peaked for an extended period.

Coach is not one to build a tower and let his assistants do the job. Coach Bryant probably would have retired after the 79 season if not for the record. The foundation he built allowed him to set things on cruise control

Ans on foundations, it makes no sense, at-least for me to dismantle the current system in place. Tow other Coach Saban coordinators went to UF and FSU as rookies, why should Coach Smart be different. And another point that I believe will be mentioned in 4 years or so when Coach Saban retires...........don's make the mistake of not listening to the masters. Coach Bryant wanted Stallings, This is significant, comparing Coach Smart to Dubose is not. One was the masses choice, the other the master. If Coach Saban wants Coach Smart, why not? There is going to be a heck of a shadow left by CNS and Kirby would embrace it like coach Stalling did. Or we could hire a coach to tear down ever poster in the complex that says "Process" and compare his every move to Coach Saban until he runs away or is canned first.

I do find it interesting after finding no one to agree in my believe that Coach Smart has become the d-facto coach in waiting (in-house, classified) that Terry Saban does an interview and speaks of how much she and Coach Saban believe the program would continue it machine like ways if he was promoted.

I have found that some can't distinguish between in-house and public coach in waiting, that the ills of the public one would be the same for the former. There is a huge one, first it doesn't a 2nd string quarterback situation that we are familiar with and second, it can change without any negative press. For instance if the Georgia job cam open. And 3rd you won't have to read about "when" all season long ever season. Big difference.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Capstone, it really doesn't matter if someone agrees with your "gut feeling" on a message board. You've laid out a reasonable explanation of your thoughts, which, for the record, I don't disagree with.

However, unless you or somebody on this board knows CNS and has spoken with him recently about this, we have nothing to go on regarding CNS's tenure or CKS's status as a private coach in waiting.

Also, I don't think too much can be made about Terry's recent interview. Not that I don't believe her, but what is she supposed to say?

Again, I appreciate your comments and like I said, I don't really disagree, but don't worry if others don't feel the same when we are all just speculating.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We just disagree on mental vs physical. Imo, he will be physically healthy when he retires. When the fun can't counter balance the weight, he will let us know the end is near, and I am already detecting a slow slide. The 2009 SECCG was the peak, although it peaked for an extended period.
I'm guessing we've been watching two different teams, as based on talent / experience vs performance, the 2012 version of the Crimson Tide might be the best coaching I've ever seen from anyone, anywhere. This team doesn't have the same talent / experience combo as the last three years yet we're right back in the same spot we've been in two of the last three. Remember, even CNS says the 2010 team was the most physically gifted team he ever coached.

I'm not sure what some expect from the coaches, but the overall job coaching this year has been simply spectacular when you look at how young the team is and how many injuries we've had at key positions - and despite that we're back in the BCSCG, already favored everywhere I've looked.

I see 2012 as the peak of his coaching career so far, personally - how effective he is as head coach - how mentally sharp and driven, if you will - isn't just measured in the W/L column as far as I'm concerned...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
This thread is the perfect place for people to project their own thoughts and biases onto others and make largely unfounded predictions.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Cowherd on his show this morning predicted CS to NFL soon. Maybe Browns next year. Hope not. But stay or leave, he sure has given Bama back the mojo. You couldn't leave a program in better shape. But I think he stays. He has things going just like he wants them. Why leave?

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I can't believe Cowherd always runs with these silly rumors.He can keep dreaming.I think the more people throw this stuff around the more Nick wants nothing to do with it.Instead of these yahoos starting a fire they are really putting it out before it gets started.

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Coach Saban = Coach Bryant in today's more competitive/balanced playing field. We hired what will be one of the top 5 coaches in the history of the game, much of that is luck. He took his LSU performance and went into another gear. I don't believe Coach Moore knew that his peers were mainly deceased, instead of other coaches in the SEC. If he did, I doubt Rod would have been offered.

Coach is not one to build a tower and let his assistants do the job. Coach Bryant probably would have retired after the 79 season if not for the record. The foundation he built allowed him to set things on cruise control

Ans on foundations, it makes no sense, at-least for me to dismantle the current system in place. Tow other Coach Saban coordinators went to UF and FSU as rookies, why should Coach Smart be different. And another point that I believe will be mentioned in 4 years or so when Coach Saban retires...........don's make the mistake of not listening to the masters. Coach Bryant wanted Stallings, This is significant, comparing Coach Smart to Dubose is not. One was the masses choice, the other the master. If Coach Saban wants Coach Smart, why not? There is going to be a heck of a shadow left by CNS and Kirby would embrace it like coach Stalling did. Or we could hire a coach to tear down ever poster in the complex that says "Process" and compare his every move to Coach Saban until he runs away or is canned first.

I do find it interesting after finding no one to agree in my believe that Coach Smart has become the d-facto coach in waiting (in-house, classified) that Terry Saban does an interview and speaks of how much she and Coach Saban believe the program would continue it machine like ways if he was promoted.

I have found that some can't distinguish between in-house and public coach in waiting, that the ills of the public one would be the same for the former. There is a huge one, first it doesn't a 2nd string quarterback situation that we are familiar with and second, it can change without any negative press. For instance if the Georgia job cam open. And 3rd you won't have to read about "when" all season long ever season. Big difference.

I'm guessing we've been watching two different teams, as based on talent / experience vs performance, the 2012 version of the Crimson Tide might be the best coaching I've ever seen from anyone, anywhere. This team doesn't have the same talent / experience combo as the last three years yet we're right back in the same spot we've been in two of the last three. Remember, even CNS says the 2010 team was the most physically gifted team he ever coached.

I'm not sure what some expect from the coaches, but the overall job coaching this year has been simply spectacular when you look at how young the team is and how many injuries we've had at key positions - and despite that we're back in the BCSCG, already favored everywhere I've looked.

I see 2012 as the peak of his coaching career so far, personally - how effective he is as head coach - how mentally sharp and driven, if you will - isn't just measured in the W/L column as far as I'm concerned...
100% misunderstood my post. It meant nothing related to his performance as a coach and all about his will to continue coaching. The "Slow Slide" and "Peak" are related to my perceived thoughts about his content with coaching, not the teams performance. Since I laid that out at the beginning, I read it that way.

When the fun can't counter balance the weight, he will let us know the end is near, and I am already detecting a slow slide. The 2009 SECCG was the peak, although it peaked for an extended period.
His age, accomplishments, wife's statements recently, that it's more enjoyable to build than maintain, fans expectation and more all go into my reasoning.

I am not a stupid fan, and would not imply garbage like that. That the team is going south?

Last edited:

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)
Cowherd on his show this morning predicted CS to NFL soon. Maybe Browns next year. Hope not. But stay or leave, he sure has given Bama back the mojo. You couldn't leave a program in better shape. But I think he stays. He has things going just like he wants them. Why leave?
I was listening to the same show earlier this morning and Colin made, what seems like some valid points. Referenced the Browns' new owner offering CS a percentage in ownership of the team along with the larger salary. Also referenced CS' youthfulness and drive to succeed. I' too hope that nothing becomes of this and that CS sticks around another 5 -6 years as Bama's HC. However, you do have to realize that men like CS are challenge -driven and if he does get that 4th NC next month, he may conclude that there's not much else left to do or prove on the college FB level and head back to the NFL. I would be tickeled to be wrong.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
If I remember correctly, CNS works directly for the UA President, instead of Coach Moore. But it could be that Coach Moore's eventual retirement could influence how long CNS stays there. Or possibly, how long the UA President stays there. If he had to work with a new AD, or for a new President, who knows how that would come out? Remember why Coach Stallings retired?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Why is this thread still up??? Every year around this time it's the same question or rumors about Saban going to Texas, the Cowboys, or the Browns etc... He is already rich out of his mind. At this point in his life it's just about being happy and according to his wife they are very happy where they are at right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.